Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Reverse wont always work, just revs with scratching sound..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
badhabits is an unknown quantity at this point
Reverse wont always work, just revs with scratching sound..

I just got this car a few days ago, everything seemed fine at first. Now about 90% of the time when I put it in reverse (manual) it just revs and makes a scratching/clicking noise, and doesnt move. All other gears work perfectly.

What do I do? I feel I got ripped. BTW its a 2002 Civic DX 2dr 5spd
Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

Re: Reverse wont always work, just revs with scratching sound..

OP here, I forgot to mention, it doesn't ALWAYS do this, after sitting for a minute moving the stick around and trying and trying again, i eventually get it to move.
Old 03-28-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like the gear is just worn
Old 03-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
sounds like the gear is just worn
that was first instinct, but when it finally does go into reverse (moving stick from 4th to R seems to make it work more often) it reverses fine...
Old 03-30-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Its like that since the reverse doenst have any syncros. What you could try is if it doesnt get in gear, put it back to neutral, release the clutch and then clutch back in and try again.
Old 03-30-2009
Registered!!

But does anyone know what is actually causing this problem? My cousin said it could possibly be a linkage issue, but I don't see that being the case... My mechanic said "It's the syncro you're gonna need a new tranny or a rebuild" & I laughed at him, told him there are no reverse syncros in this car, and id find a new mechanic...

But for the life of me i can't find the problem... and having to buy a new transmission would cost more than the car is worth at this point

I just traded my 2000 Durango SLT 4x4 (with NO problems and fully loaded with leather) for this 02 stock civic dx...the day before losing reverse. God I feel like I got majorly ****ed.
Old 03-30-2009
Registered!!

vicaphit is an unknown quantity at this point

I get the same problem, I just have to pull it into reverse just a bit harder to get it into gear.

it doesn't happen as often as you make it sound though.
Old 03-30-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by vicaphit
I get the same problem, I just have to pull it into reverse just a bit harder to get it into gear.

it doesn't happen as often as you make it sound though.
for me it happens almost every time, when i first start the car. after a few tries (sometimes up to 10 tries) itll work. ive tried throwing the stick into reverse with some force, and then tried pulling back on it, thinking it coulda been the linkage at first.. but it made no difference.
Old 03-30-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

i got the same problem. i tired to adjust the linkige and replaced the bushings. nothing. i also try to pull back harder and it dosent work. only on mine i have to hold it in reverse otherwise i will hear a loud pop and reverse disengaged.

dosent bother me so much b/c my driveway slopes down. so i more or less roll down into the street then take off.
Old 03-31-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DieMaster
i got the same problem. i tired to adjust the linkige and replaced the bushings. nothing. i also try to pull back harder and it dosent work. only on mine i have to hold it in reverse otherwise i will hear a loud pop and reverse disengaged.

dosent bother me so much b/c my driveway slopes down. so i more or less roll down into the street then take off.
yeah most of the time it hasnt been a HUGE deal. but at times like parallel parking... which is 90% of parking in my town...and parking at our restaurant (the road is flat, but the parking spaces slope down, so im facing downhill nose first) the reverse problem turns into hell. IF it ever took too many tries, and i rolled down in the parking lot at our restaurant, id be either hitting a guard rail or dropping 30' into the river... which would NOT work out well..

I've tried the whole "4th to reverse" and "put it in neutral, let off clutch, put on clutch, put in reverse" suggestions, and both worked the first time, but not again after, it just was luck that it fell in gear i guess.
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

africanoboomer is an unknown quantity at this point

i have on 04 and if i try just to put in reverse it does the same thing but when i double push to the right then put it in reverse it works
Old 04-04-2009
Registered!!

youngjosh12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this problem maybe like 2days a week, especially when its cold, just put it in nuetral, let of the clutch, then clutch in, put it in first second and then pull it back into reverse, all with the clutch in and it should slip right in, you'll hear it engage. If that doesnt work go through all the gears with the clutch in and see if you can push the clutch in further or maybe a little less. Hope this works, it does for me!!
Old 04-11-2009
Registered!!

technick03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had this problem since I bought the car brand new in 03.
Problem doesn't always happen but occasionally and I just move it around in neutral and it usually pops into reverse. Have had it pop out of reverse on me too but again just gotta put it back in. Annoying but I deal with it.
Had this problem in my old 98 civic also. Both ex models . .