Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Head Gasket Leak 2001 fixes

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BobStraus is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Head Gasket Leak 2001 fixes

I have a 2001 LX and I started smelling anti-freeze. Had it diagnosed at the garage that it was the head gasket. I only put 200 miles on it since it started leaking, it hasn't overheated and temp gauge stays same. I only had to add 12 oz to the radiator. Garage gave $1700-$1900 estimate. This is my work car (approx 200 miles daily). Within the last year I put brand new transmission, all struts, lower control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, front wheel bearings. Car has 195,000 but this is the BEST work car. A few people had told me to try blue devil head gasket sealer, any thoughts on this and would it be a worth-while fix or more like a band-aid?
Old 06-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Head Gasket Leak 2001 fixes

Originally Posted by BobStraus
A few people had told me to try blue devil head gasket sealer, any thoughts on this and would it be a worth-while fix or more like a band-aid?
Adding that stuff will do nothing to stop the pistons from pumping exhaust gases into the coolant system.

You will create all kinds of new issues though, so do not use ever in any car newer than 1970..

Google import garages in your area ( and mobile mechanics ) and call them and ask for quotes on the job.

You may be able to keep adding coolant before you drive for a long time, or the breach may widen and you suddenly overheat within 10miles.
Old 06-30-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

$1700-$1900 is cheaper then buying a new unknown car with questionable maintenance history.

Never use that stuff!!!
Old 06-30-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

If you continue to drive it the leak will most likely get worse. Also, to avoid a potential overheat you could drive with the heater (climate control) always on. Never use head gasket sealant..it can potentially clog a radiator and heater core.

Consider doing the head gasket yourself or a mechanically friend or relative. Most of the expenses is in labor cost and not parts.
Old 07-02-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Get other quotes from other reputable shops (preferably familiar with this common repair on these engines) for the failed head gasket. Consider the performing the timing belt service at the same time to save on labour. Tough decision for you after already spending that much time and $ on those recent repairs... But if the HG is repaired properly, you should have many more miles left out of your 2001.