Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Overheating issue 02 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jessejaymz08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating issue 02 civic ex

I have a 2002 honda civic ex with the 1.7l d17a2, my temp gauge fluctuates and starts to overheat when driving however its only occasionally, ive replaced the thermostat, radiator, radiator cap, headgasket, waterpump, flushed coolant, added new coolant and purged the system of air, i wired my cooling fans into a switch and have them running whenever the car is running and yet it still starts to overheat, typically at stops, then when i drive it will start to go back down but then sometimes its real weird and just flucuates like crazy, just the gauge goes up and then 10 seconds later it goes back down, and if i open the hood after this happens i can see where the coolant overflow had filled up and started overflowing, which i assume means air is getting into the system but i dont know how/why because the radiator is new and the cap is aswell, and i just replaced the headgasket, and i tested the thermostat to make sure it works and other than that i have no idea, the car gets good heat, and ive tried to fix anything i could think of that would be causing this issue, and ive also checked for leaks amd there are no signs of any other than where it overflows from the coolant overflow tank, so here i am, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Last edited by Jessejaymz08; 06-03-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Overheating issue 02 civic ex

did you use an oem head gasket?
was the head checked by a machine shop?
did a competent person do the repair?
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
did you use an oem head gasket?
was the head checked by a machine shop?
did a competent person do the repair?
Yes, i used the oem metal one and yes, i had it checked and resurfaced, and i did all the work myself with the help of my uncle whos been working on hondas most of his life and im by no means a great mechanic but ive got a pretty good idea of what im doing, all the work ive done to the car i did myself as well as swapping it from an automatic to a 5speed
Old 06-03-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

fans blowing the right way?
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
fans blowing the right way?
Yupp
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If you think you can convince us your head gasket repair was successful, your on the wrong forum because all the critical clues point to another failed head gasket.

Read up on the best test, injecting compressed air into spark plug hole on compression stroke and watch for bubbles coming out the radiator cap opening.
Old 06-03-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
If you think you can convince us your head gasket repair was successful, your on the wrong forum because all the critical clues point to another failed head gasket.

Read up on the best test, injecting compressed air into spark plug hole on compression stroke and watch for bubbles coming out the radiator cap opening.
I wasnt trying to convice anyone of anything, i just wrote down what has been done, and ill check it out