Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!
View Poll Results: To fix, or not to fix...
Fix
0%
Not to fix
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

To fix, or not to fix...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ali Syed is an unknown quantity at this point
To fix, or not to fix...

Hello Friends,
My 2003 Honda Civic LX 1.7L 4DR has taken me on many journeys but problems have mounted over the past two years.
I need my car for work and am on the cusp of just selling it for scrap (~$250 CAD) and buying a new car.
I'm not a professional mechanic but I have worked as an automotive electrician and am currently an appliance repair technician. Therefore, I'm comfortable performing most major repairs myself (in fact i quite enjoy it) and in most cases have the tools and equipment to do so. Therefore only the cost of parts should be considered.
I would like someone to, if possible, diagnose the issues with the car and provide a list of parts that may need replacing. I would also appreciate any advice on the difficulty of these repairs and resources that can help me.
Below I have included details about the vehicle: repair and maintenance history, current symptoms, and error codes. Please reach out to me if you have any questions or require more details.
You can respond to this thread.

Thank you so much in advance, you have no idea how much your expertise will help me.
Sincerely,
- A.

Last edited by Ali Syed; 01-14-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Removed personal contact info and included additional details
Old 01-12-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: To fix, or not to fix...

Removed your personal info, as per the forum rules.
Can't see your attachment, maybe because I'm on my phone, but it's way easier for everyone if you just copy and paste it into a post here.
Old 01-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ali Syed
problems have mounted over the past two years.
That is the most telling part of your whole story. I too can not see your list of issues, sounds like your best option should be to buy a new car and start fixing your old car.
Old 01-14-2019
Registered!!

thanks for the edit, i'm quite new to this forum and not entirely familiar with the rules.
I've included a screenshot of the notes inline with the text, hopefully ppl can see it now.
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
sounds like your best option should be to buy a new car and start fixing your old car.
Thats a great idea, i think i will do this. I've also updated the post to include an image of the list of issues. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

How much do you really like the car? Fixing it could be cheaper then buying another used car especially if you DIY. Dropping 2k into it sounds crazy to some but if you buy a 2000 car you don’t know you are getting at least with this you know. You could spend a little more and get something with lower mileage to reduce it needing major maintenance soon.
Old 01-14-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

most seen to be related to doing the headgasket (properly - some of them seem to be linked to previous timing belt - camshaft position is removed during the job, tends to fail after the timing is done)
and EVAP for the last week issues.