Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

My 2002 Honda CIVIC Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG AL2289 is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2002 Honda CIVIC Overheating

Hey guys,
Ive been having this problem for a while now. When i first saw that my civic was overheating, i tried to diagnose the problem. There were no leaks, the radiator was full with coolant, and the fans do work. I decided to drain the system and check the thermostat. The thermostat was stuck so i replaced it and i filled up the cooling system correctly making sure there was no air pockets. For a week, the car drove fine with out the temp. gauge going up. After the week, the car would feel normal and the temperature gauge would go up. That led me to believe it was a faulty ECT sensor so i replaced it. Once i replaced it, the temperature gauge was not going into the "H" no more. It would go 3/4's of the way up. I cant figure it out. This problem occurs when i drive on the freeway for 10 minutes then the needle starts to rise. There are times that once i get off the freeway that the temperature gauge is marking that the car is overheating. I pull over and check, but the engine is not boiling over, steam is not coming out, and fans do kick on. what can it be?
Old 12-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My 2002 Honda CIVIC Overheating

Is the radiator low, while the reservoir is overfull?

Read the first post in the sticky on overheating.
Old 12-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG AL2289 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that i noticed. Everything seems fine. The radiator is full and the radiator has coolant to the appropriate level.
Old 12-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Flow check the radiator? Clogged or restricted tubes in the core can cause it to not shed heat efficiently...

Airflow check the radiator? 200,000 miles worth of bugs, dirt and stone damage can clog up the thin little fins. Drop a bright light behind the fan and look through the bumper openings to see how much light you can see through the radiator.

How well does the heater work?
After warmup, at idle RPM on full blast heat...will it pump out hot enough to scald your hand, or does it cool off to lukewarm at idle RPM? An airlock in the heater circuit could cause overheating.