Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Over heating after head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xer.00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Over heating after head gasket?

Hey how are you guys .
After reading several threads about overheating issues iv yet to find something similar to mine. Well here goes and please excuse my ignorance as I know little about cars . I have a 2004 Honda civic ex sedan stick shift, car started over heating a about 6 months ago finally couldn't take it so I took it to a trust worthy mechanic . As i already had the parts ( all the gaskets, timing belt water pump kit even a new radiator cap. So I asked him to change it , so he did ,he put a new head since the one on their was warped also had the block surfaced and tested along with the new head ( just tested I think he said ) sorry forgot what he said . Went to pick it up a few days later he added fresh antifreeze took out the old gave me a rundown of what he did . All was good I gave him his 800$ bucks and I went on my way . Everything was fine drove from the shop to my house and then to Walmart , then again back to my house ( maybe 10 miles at most) when I got to a light needle started to climb above halfway started going it cooled down back to regular temperature so I ignored it for a bit since I was almost home but when I was Parking needle was nearing redline so I shut it off .

TO GET TO THE POINT..

, I changed head gasket, changed radiator cap, water pump, timing belt, flushed the system , fans are turning on when they should , chane thermostat a month before I got the HG changed. And a few days ago did the coolant flush properly filled it properly burped .. Turned car on let it idle to make sure everything was fine for about 30 mins. off and when I turned it back on it struggled to finally start ? Then I went to fill on gas it just wouldn't and I mean wouldn't start. Finally started got him as quickly as I could and noticed that their was a lot , and I mean ALOT of coolant coming through the Reserve tank? To much even for a blown head gasket...

What do you guys think I did wrong or is wrong with tis damn car? Any help is appreciated .
Old 06-23-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Over heating after head gasket?

The gasket head and the block weren't mated properly. Either from buildup not being cleaned up to the gasket not sitting properly. That's my guess. I don't see any other reason for the overflow to be filling that fast. Was the head checked for trueness when the gasket was done?
Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
The gasket head and the block weren't mated properly. Either from buildup not being cleaned up to the gasket not sitting properly. That's my guess. I don't see any other reason for the overflow to be filling that fast. Was the head checked for trueness when the gasket was done?

Hey thanks for your response , and yes he said he had everything tested and cleaned . He said everything was checked and it checked out ok. I honestly don't know what it could be .
Old 06-23-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xer.00
yes he said he had everything tested and cleaned . He said everything was checked and it checked out ok. I honestly don't know what it could be .
Of course he did.

It should be easy to figure out if the head needs to come back off or not.

Replace the mechanic.

$800 was too cheap for that job anyway.
Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Of course he did.

It should be easy to figure out if the head needs to come back off or not.

Replace the mechanic.

$800 was too cheap for that job anyway.

Thaks for the reply, Hmmmmm damn now you got me thinking , he's always done a good job have known him for a while ..but I have to be open minded I'll go get it checked somewhere else see how it goes from their
Old 06-23-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Thaks for the reply, Hmmmmm damn now you got me thinking , he's always done a good job have known him for a while ..but I have to be open minded I'll go get it checked somewhere else see how it goes from their
I was being a smartass. Has the mechanic actually looked to see what it wrong with it this time?
Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I was being a smartass. Has the mechanic actually looked to see what it wrong with it this time?
Lol well you got me... And yeah he told me when I dîd the coolant flush and used the bottle of radiator flush , that I didn't rinse the radiator good enough and that the radiator flush mixed with the antifreeze might have reacted in a bad way..but I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed today still the problem persists..but I'll take it to a shop again tomorrow
Old 06-23-2013

he told me when I dîd the coolant flush and used the bottle of radiator flush , that I didn't rinse the radiator good enough and that the radiator flush mixed with the antifreeze might have reacted in a bad way
Bull. Butter.

Change my previous post from smartass back to serious.

NOW I can say your mechanic is broken* (if the mechanic is actually the person that said this, and I bet he did).

If it was a mouthpiece on a phone that said this, then that person has no business guessing at anything more technical than a paper clip.

Did I miss something here?

You also only made it 10 miles from the shop before it blew up. That tells me the mechanic is still broken* and you have a case for small claims since you and he contracted to resolve that very problem. He didn't fix it, apparently he made it much worse. It might be simpler to swap in a good engine now.

"broken" is not the word I originally wanted to use.

"Sufficient ignorance is indistinguishable from malice."
Old 06-23-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he is just covering his ***..ets .. from a bad job done
Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Damn that's just my luck... Well thanks a lot for your quick replies ....I'm going to take it to him and see where it goes from their .....have a good one guys and again thanks