Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Overheating and mysterious coolant loss common causes - reference

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lukeman3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Overheating common causes - reference

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
read thread first - you failed to read the first post, from starters

and double posted, so you not helping anyone. why should others help?

you did not read, so why should we assume you will actually read what we reply?

Note: all of the members that did not read but wanted to ask anyways received a bad rep for the simple act of asking without reading. what's the point? no reading, no meaning to reply... asking on internet means you will need to do diagnosis by yourself - i am not gonna leave my job to help you diagnose and fix your car...
I have to be honest, I don't understand hardly any of this.

I think it's partly a grammar/sentence structure issue, or maybe it's because I just joined the forums and don't understand the history of what's going on here.

I expected to see "overheating common causes", but what I ended up reading in the first post made no sense to me whatsoever.

Edit: Apparently, these forums automatically sort by "newest post first". This confused me greatly when I tried reading this thread. In my opinion, it makes more sense to default to "oldest post first". This can be changed by the user in the user control panel options.

Last edited by lukeman3000; 08-29-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Mr belvedere,

you earned a place in here. I will link it here so it does not end lost in all the other threads that are worth not much.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...good-time.html
Old 09-11-2012
Registered!!

rekomstop209 will become famous soon enough

I just wanted to say there is a better way to test for a head gasket breach then the combustion leak test.

Find a smog station that will sniff you radiator. It is half the price, and way more accurate.

The chemical test will only show if there is a high amount of hydrocarbons in the cooling system, whereas the radiator sniff will tell you EXACT ppm.

My radiator sniff test showed 343 ppm, but the chemical test had just passed not 1 hour before. I spent $50 for the chemical test, and $20 for the radiator sniff.
Old 09-11-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ thanks
Old 09-14-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I sniff radiators all the time.... Can't tell the ppms though lol
Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cpbennett will become famous soon enough

Wish I saw this thread when I was having issues a few weeks back!

Here is a case study for you guys (and girls):

2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Fiji Blue
130,000 miles

Issue:

First Day
-First time using my heater this fall on the way to work
-Noticed that when I slowed below 20mph, my car blew COLD air -- BBRRRR
-Fans were running, coolant level was ok

Second DAY
-Overheated (didnt actually overheat, just started getting too warm for comfort ~ temp guage inching towards 3/4) == SHUT CAR OFF RIGHT AWAY
-reservoir was filled to the cap- eek
-Let my car set for 2-3 hours
-Turned my car on, with rad cap off, no air...
-After car reached operating temp, a few bubbles came up, nothing crazy

Solution:

Drove my car to the STEALERSHIP due to panic that my heater core or HG had gone...F.

Paid them $85 to "look" for the problem. They lifted my car and some air came up - "burping" the coolant. The mechanical they lift the car due to the position of the radiator in relation to the rest of the system. Next, they pressurized the system and checked for leaks. They found NONE, thank GAWD. I told them about 20,000 miles back I paid a local shop to replace my timing belt and water pump, at a cost savings to me (I too am no mechanic). They mentioned that the other shop may have put the water pump in w/o bleeding the coolant system. I had this same problem last year around this time and it just needed more coolant and the same "burp". The other shop tried to convince me last year my radiator was leaking, which the STEALERSHIP confirmed was NOT THE CASE. He said to keep a close eye on the temp guage and went ahead and flushed / replaced the fluid.

I am hoping that last year they simply did not get all the air out of the system AND I hope my water pump hasnt been damaged due to cavitation.

4 WEEKS and NO PROBLEMS.

LESSONS LEARNED:
The issues I had were caused by AIR in the system. That air, as the above members have mentioned, can get into the system multiple ways. All you can do is hope that it is one of the cheaper fixes.

I am worried that the air may have gotten into the system another way, i.e. the replaced water pump 20k ago wasnt the ROOT CAUSE of the issue.

MY QUESTION TO YOU?

Do you think I should worry about the Rad Cap, Thermostat, or WORSE the HG? Should I replace the Thermostat and Rad Cap just in case?

~~ ONLY USE *OEM* RAD CAP, THERMOSTAT, COOLANT ~~ NOTED.

Last edited by cpbennett; 10-05-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

if it's cheap, do them and thanks fer the input
Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

arizaga8799 will become famous soon enough

the both of you have helped me a lot in a lot of in answers questions. I am definite Gunna change the cap and try another thermostat if that's not the prob with your guys help I'm steering towards the hg. my over flow will always be full and nothing in radiator and air bubbles are always there.
Old 10-15-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Just for reference and I am in the process of changing the HG. Didn't even bother looking at thermostat, radiator cap or water pump. They were replaced about a year ago as preventative maintenance by me along with timing belt and associated items.

2002 civic ex with 85K
-No overheating
-Coolant spewed from reserve tank on trans and trans side of engine
-Reserve tank filled to the top and having bubbles coming up every few seconds immediately after shut down
-Waited 10 minutes and opened radiator cap. Air blew out and no coolant.

Last edited by Matt_75; 10-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

arizaga, thanks for the run down on yours too
hope you get yours figured out too.
Originally Posted by arizaga8799
the easiest way to figure this stuff out is start small and work your way up. head gasket should be the last thing to worry about, altho they seem to be pretty common on these cars. i have a feeing its due to people inadvertently (or on purpose, thanks honda owners manual) driving their car in winter til the temp gauge reads in the middle/normal, then cranking the temp dial from cold to hot. on this particular gen, this opens a large heater hose valve and allows ice cold coolant sitting in the heater core and dash hoses to go straight into the hot engine head. as you can guess, this is really bad for the engine. instead, leave the temp dial on hot for the whole winter and just turn the fan to OFF before the car warms up. this allows the car to still warm up fairly quickly, and you will have all the coolant circulating already when the car is warmed up. then adjust the fan speed to your liking or leave it off and air will blow in when driving on its own. on the freeway, i doubt you even need the blower fan at all.

anyway, ordered list of overheating checks:

1. thermostat. drive the car til its fully warmed up, at least 30mins. open hood and feel top and bottom radiator hoses (the big ones). top should be hot, bottom should be hot. this means coolant is going to the radiator and everything is normal. if bottom hose is cool or warm, thermostat is either stuck closed or not opening enough. can cause overheating under certain conditions. solution: replace with oem honda thermostat.

2. fan motor, fan relay, fan fuse, or fan temp sensor. something is causing the cooling fans to not come on like they should when the car is at idle for extended periods of time in hot weather. turn the a/c on and see if both fans come on immediately. if so, motor/fuse/relay is fine. fan temp sensor in the coolant passage could be bad. on a hot summer day, outside temp of 90F or higher, drive the car til it warms up fully. park car and leave it running. within 5 mins the fans should turn on. if not, bad fan temp sensor. replace it and retest. a fan problem can cause overheating at idle in stop and go traffic, but not while the car is driving above 35mph (then the radiator will be doing its job).

3. air bubbles. can cause real or fake overheating. air in the cooling system is usually caused by doing a coolant drain and fill on these cars, since the radiator passages are so tiny compared to cars with larger engines. air bubbles around the cooling passages can cause hotspots to develop, which can cause serious problems with the engine. air does not cool anywhere near as good as liquid. air can also confuse the engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor and cause it to read a higher than normal temp. the sensor must be inside the coolant to work properly. to limit air bubble formation when doing a coolant change, you can turn the temp dial to full COLD before shutting off the car. you can also choose not to open the engine block drain bolt. note that doing these things will allow some old coolant to stay in the system. so you may want to do a second drain and fill later on once the new and old coolant mixes. after coolant change, make sure you bleed the majority of air out by following this procedure. drive car til fully warmed up. park on a sharp upward incline or jack up front of car. carefully remove radiator cap using a lot of shop towels to catch the coolant spray. leave cap off, start car, turn temp dial to max HOT. turn fan on one notch. feel the air coming out. if cool, you have a long way to go. watch the radiator and add coolant so that you can see the level near the top. keep watching for air bubbles for at least 30 mins, or until no large bubbles are coming to the surface. you can tap or squeeze the large radiator hoses and rev the engine to 3k rpms occasionally to speed up the process. when bubble formation has stopped, put cap back on and turn off car. go for a drive and turn the fan on. hot burning air should be coming from the vents. some water bubbling noises may be heard in the dash for up to a year afterwards, but these small bubbles will eventually come out. make sure the temp gauge does not go above normal.

4. radiator cap. a faulty cap that does not pop open and allow coolant into the overflow tank can cause cooling system pressure to rise above normal. this can lead to hoses failing, water pump leaking, and a variety of other problems that can make it seem like a headgasket leak. replace cap with a new honda oem part every 5 yrs to prevent any problems.

5. ECT sensor. already mentioned, this sensor is extremely important. not only does it tell you how hot the coolant is (via the temp gauge), it also tells the ecu so it can adjust how the car runs. usually you will get a check engine light for a bad sensor, but not always. replace this if you seem to be overheating for no real reason, and the engine bay does not seem to be hotter than normal and the coolant level is normal.

6. clogged radiator, cooling system, or other. if you have an older car where the coolant was never changed, chances are you have junk inside that could be clogging parts of the cooling system. you can check for radiator clogs by warming up the car, then using an IR thermometer to check the temp of various areas of the radiator. if one or more spots are very cool, you may have a blockage. if you drain the coolant and find any sort of debris, try a power flush of the system and hope that most of the chunks work their way out. it can be a huge challenge to clean up a cooling system like this because there are so many small passages where clogs can occur.

7. physical coolant leaks. if you are losing coolant and there are visible leaks, trace where they are coming from and fix the leak (hose, water pump, engine block, etc). failure to fix leaks can result in overheating when enough coolant is lost. if the overflow tank becomes empty, the cooling system can suck in air and make the situation even worse.

8. head gasket. you finally arrived. it wasnt easy, but now you are almost sure the overheating is caused by a gasket leak between the engine head and block. how can you make sure? lots of ways. a large leak can easily be detected by checking the compression of each cylinder. the stock rating is roughly 128 psi, but you are looking more for one or two cylinders that are very low compared to the rest. with a small gasket leak, compression can come back normal on all cylinders. if the oil looks milky, and the coolant looks oily, more than likely the two are mixing together. if you have a misfire when cold starting the car (whole car is shaking violently for a minute), that can be an indication of a slow leak where coolant is filling one or more cylinders. when the car warms up, the coolant burns away and car runs fine. you can have the cooling system pressure checked as well. lower pressure can mean a physical leak or also a gasket leak. pull all the spark plugs and look for white deposits that can indicate burnt coolant.do a gas test of the coolant that can indicate the presence of hydrocarbons leaking in from combustion. be complete and do as many tests as you can. a blown headgasket, if small, can be driven on for a while. but it will get worse and can eventually cause serious damage, even if you are not overheating right now. usually coolant that disappears from the reservoir with no reason always points to it being burned in the engine from a headgasket leak.
Old 10-16-2012

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Just for reference and I am in the process of changing the HG. Didn't even bother looking at thermostat, radiator cap or water pump. They were replaced about a year ago as preventative maintenance by me along with timing belt and associated items.

2002 civic ex with 85K
-No overheating
-Coolant spewed from reserve tank on trans and trans side of engine
-Reserve tank filled to the top and having bubbles coming up every few seconds immediately after shut down
-Waited 10 minutes and opened radiator cap. Air blew out and no coolant.
Once again for reference my findings from the above symptoms. It looks like #3 cylinder is the culprit from the discoloration.

Name:  WP_000053.jpg
Views: 37768
Size:  67.8 KB
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

arizaga, thanks for the run down on yours too
hope you get yours figured out too.
I really hope I do too lol I'm Gunna try everything out Friday and I'll definitely let you know but in my case the more I think about it I want to start ripping it apart and getting hg done so that is out of the equation so I know is not that. gotta get this prob figured out for my girl before having to go do some time! definitely keep you guys posted, with some pics also for the research!
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cpbennett
Wish I saw this thread when I was having issues a few weeks back!

Here is a case study for you guys (and girls):

2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Fiji Blue
130,000 miles

Issue:

First Day
-First time using my heater this fall on the way to work
-Noticed that when I slowed below 20mph, my car blew COLD air -- BBRRRR
-Fans were running, coolant level was ok

Second DAY
-Overheated (didnt actually overheat, just started getting too warm for comfort ~ temp guage inching towards 3/4) == SHUT CAR OFF RIGHT AWAY
-reservoir was filled to the cap- eek
-Let my car set for 2-3 hours
-Turned my car on, with rad cap off, no air...
-After car reached operating temp, a few bubbles came up, nothing crazy

Solution:

Drove my car to the STEALERSHIP due to panic that my heater core or HG had gone...F.

Paid them $85 to "look" for the problem. They lifted my car and some air came up - "burping" the coolant. The mechanical they lift the car due to the position of the radiator in relation to the rest of the system. Next, they pressurized the system and checked for leaks. They found NONE, thank GAWD. I told them about 20,000 miles back I paid a local shop to replace my timing belt and water pump, at a cost savings to me (I too am no mechanic). They mentioned that the other shop may have put the water pump in w/o bleeding the coolant system. I had this same problem last year around this time and it just needed more coolant and the same "burp". The other shop tried to convince me last year my radiator was leaking, which the STEALERSHIP confirmed was NOT THE CASE. He said to keep a close eye on the temp guage and went ahead and flushed / replaced the fluid.

I am hoping that last year they simply did not get all the air out of the system AND I hope my water pump hasnt been damaged due to cavitation.

LESSONS LEARNED:
The issues I had were caused by AIR in the system. That air, as the above members have mentioned, can get into the system multiple ways. All you can do is hope that it is one of the cheaper fixes.

I am worried that the air may have gotten into the system another way, i.e. the replaced water pump 20k ago wasnt the ROOT CAUSE of the issue.

MY QUESTION TO YOU?

Do you think I should worry about the Rad Cap, Thermostat, or WORSE the HG? Should I replace the Thermostat and Rad Cap just in case?

~~ ONLY USE *OEM* RAD CAP, THERMOSTAT, COOLANT ~~ NOTED.

UPDATE: MY HEAD GASKET BLEW OUT, BUMMER

****Replaced Thermostat and Rad Cap, didnt solve problem lead to...Head Gasket BLOWN****

History:
Early Sept - overheated - Resevoir filled to cap, radiator not full. (added fluid, burped system)

**ok for two weeks**

Mid Sept - overheated - Purge system, flushed coolant system, put new fluid in.

**ok for three weeks**

Early Oct - overheated - added coolant, burped system

**ok for two weeks**

Mid Oct - overheated - Pulled over, called a Tow Truck.

Took it to the dealer and replaced the thermostat & rad cap and it still overheated. Compression test showed loss of pressure in cylinder #2 after about 15 mins at idle, then resevoir started overflowing.

ISSUE: Head Gasket Leak

Costs,

Head Gasket Set, OEM - 234.82
Head Bolts - 10 - $110
Water Pump - $81.80
Collant - $20
Oil & Filter - $24.20
-----------------------
(Parts total w/ tax ==> $503.77)
Labor $680
Thermostat + Diag Test $210
Resurface head $100
"Shop Fees" $50 --GRRRR

GRAND TOTAL of $1543.77
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

if it's cheap, do them and thanks fer the input

Cheap stuff didnt amount to anything, but I am glad I checked first! I also decided to invest the Head Gasket Repair vs buying a new car (with payments).

How long after the HG is replaced do you think the car can go for?
Old 10-19-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

done right should last around 100k? mine lasted around that.
some could be around 200k, with luck...
Old 10-23-2012

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Once again for reference my findings from the above symptoms. It looks like #3 cylinder is the culprit from the discoloration.

Successful repair for this issue.

Looking back, I've gathered symtoms that leads me to believe I should have replaced the gasket long before it got to this point.

Disclaimer: The below evidence is based on stringent maintenance up to this point on the vehicle.

Symptoms:
-Longer than normal starts sometimes because pressure wasn't building properly in the failed cylinder.
-Subtle loss of coolant every month or so. I chalked it up to evaporation, but now realize it was being burnt in the combustion process.
-Poor gas mileage.

These are lessons learned for me and any who read this I hope. I will keep this car for a very long time because of the ease of maintenance on it, including this head gasket repair.

Last edited by Matt_75; 10-24-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2012
Registered!!

what HG kit would be the best for my d16y8 all I have is the Meagan's racing header and exhaust system?
Old 10-24-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

arizaga, most went to the OE stuff from one of the online dealers (just to be safe, since it's a tough job and no one wants to do twice in a short period of time).
Some seen to have been good with aftermarket, but there's always a "how long will it last?" ligering question, which most will not be able to tell (long mileages to have issues, afraid to say...)
cp bennet, Matt 75, thank you alot again for the contribution to the forums Glad you have it solved and sorry to hear it ended up being the HG... but yeah, trying the cheaper stuff first does not hurt - they will be new again...
Old 10-24-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

just posted my thoughts in another thread, but thought it would be inportant here:
Originally Posted by thiggins20
but if your oil doesnt look "watery" or hazy, and Dark smoke isnt coming out the exhaust,
might be true for low compression engines with higher collant pressures.
My guess is that the D17 type engines have low pressure coolant system but comes with the higher compression engine, so the coolant does not go to the oil, the combustion gases goes to the coolant, and a small amount of oil *might* go to the coolant. but the combustion gases are gases - any small leak get to the coolant - and they go outta the reservoir and sometimes leak is small enough to not register on the chemical test.
Old 01-24-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

yeh guys know, in another thread there was an interesting comment that made me think.

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Lol, I think the Toyota 22RE was the nastiest engine I've dealt with. The timing chain could break the plastic guides and then chew through the water jacket milkshaking the oil.

Honda actually has a good design there if it was done on purpose. No milkshaking saves a lot of engine damage and it's easy to see your reservoir puking out fluid.

My '78 Civic used to run just fine until I shut it off and about 60 seconds later it would violently blow about a liter of coolant out the reservoir. I used to try and get as far away from it as I could before it puked so people didn't realize it was my car, lol
this was a good point in there...
I prefer to do the gasket than the whole engine...
thanks, stock99
Old 10-14-2013

Originally Posted by dave9
2003 civic 1.7.... new rebuilt engine , new hoses, thermostat and pressure cap from honda..replaced radiator and still i have pressure build up that pushes coolant out usually out on passenger side lower hose.. and the car looses its coolant and over heats.... i am at my wits end trying to find the cause of the pressure buildup.... has anyone have any thoughts on this?
Blown head gasket. The head gasket sealing material around the fire ring has worn away and is allowing combustion pressure to enter the cooling system, thus pressuring it and forcing coolant out your reserve/overflow tank. After all the parts you changed and if you know the system was properly bled of air then it's about 100% chance it's a blown head gasket.

And no, coolant and oil don't mix in these cars in general when it blows. You'll also be hard pressed to use a combustion gas kit trying to find combustion gas in the coolant. It depends how bad it is whether or not it will change color.

Last edited by Matt_75; 10-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

2003 civic 1.7.... new rebuilt engine , new hoses, thermostat and pressure cap from honda..replaced radiator and still i have pressure build up that pushes coolant out usually out on passenger side lower hose.. and the car looses its coolant and over heats.... i am at my wits end trying to find the cause of the pressure buildup.... has anyone have any thoughts on this?
that's the first one in this whole thread... you would not need to PM me if you read the first one...

If you don't read, there's no point in replying...

re-read this thread all over, write down what could be a cause, do the easiest ones or cheapest ones first, and get to the heavier ones.

also check for the pressure test, blow the heck in air and check for leaks. the other tests did not show consistent results, air in high pressure does.
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

DBean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
There is a systematic sequence of events you have to go through to diagnose a head gasket. The way 99% people realize something is wrong is when their car starts overheating and the overflow is full to the top and the heat only blows hot when moving, not when idling. But hold your horses, it might not be a head gasket yet.

I hope this helps some people diagnose their head gasket issues. Anyone that asks as to why they are overheating on this forum should be pointed straight to this thread.
Soooooo........

It might be the head gasket.....
....unless it's not.

But it's definitely the head gasket, if you replaced it......
..... or if you haven't yet.

There's no way to tell.....
....unless you replace it.

Then, it is.

Unless it isn't:
A little over a year ago, my son's '03 Civic overheated 5 hours from civilization. After towing it back home, I replaced the radiator & cap, water pump, head gasket, thermostat, and coolant with Honda OEM parts. After exactly 14 months of trouble free driving, my son took the car to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change and fluids top-off for a long trip across the country. They replaced the radcap after doing a pressure test on the cap itself and added a little coolant to the radiator.

500 miles later, the classic overheating problem returns.

Is it the new cap?
Is it the crappy Jiffy Lube coolant jelling the blue OEM coolant?
Is it the (one-year-old) head gasket?

Which brings us to this capstone of circular reasoning:

7. Head gaskets tend to blow because of an underlying problem that caused the car to overheat. You should do your due diligence and find out what the initial problem was or you risk blowing your head gasket again.
After my own personal experience and reading about all of the cooling problems, quasi diagnoses, half-baked fixes, recurring gremlins, and ignorant commentaries in this and other Honda forums regarding this series of civic engines, I can make only one recommendation if you're faced with the dreaded

Civic Cooling Problem

Junk it. Get rid of it. Cut your losses and drive it a couple hours into the desert and torch it. Do it now, before you waste untold hours reading these forums and replace your head gasket or radiator or thermostat or water pump or...engine, for that matter. It'll work for a week, maybe a year.....who knows? Certainly not anyone on these forums.
Old 05-19-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
re: Overheating and mysterious coolant loss common causes - reference

Originally Posted by Matteo
after 150,000 miles i got the gates timing belt/water pump "kit".

everything ok until a month or 2 and the aftermarket water pump starts leaking coolant and causing overheating. replaced thermostat and filled coolant and still overheated every few days. so its bad aftermarket water pump apparently. get OEM water pump and use the rest of Gates kit and replace all at one time...replaceing thermostat is cheapest first option along with checking radiator and overflow tank coolant levels daily.
sounds like your head gasket is blown
Old 07-02-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by nc-joe
I have read EVERY post on this thread and before I tear into the engine I wanted to run this past everyone. 2001 Civic EX with 100K, vehicle overheats on long highway runs. I am losing coolant somewhere but there is no visible leak, no smoke from the engine, no overflowing in the overflow tank. Replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, water pump (and timing belt) Cooling fans run instantly with a/c on and come on after the car warms up and has been driven for a short distance. No issues with staring, good gas mileage, no hesitation or rough idle. Only bubbles I get are when "burping the system. After road tests both radiator hoses are hot and there has never been any visible debris in the coolant. I did a combustion leak test 3 times, passed every time. Heater blows hot air. I have completed a compression test yet, but there is no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant and no issues with power or mileage. Can it be anything other than the HG at this point?
Originally Posted by Martial Artist
My 2002 Honda Civic EX 4 door is very similar to that nc-joe said about his car above (no signs of anything). Super good gas mileage (476 before gas light came on - BEST!).

Our car finally overheated coming home from a trip and I pulled over right away. The radiator cap look like it "activated" and let steam out. The resivor cap blew right off and coolant got all over the left side of the engine bay.

The problem now is that when I try to start the car, I can hear the starter sound and all the belts looks good; no milky white coolant in the oil... There are no leaks of anything still too.

Anyone know if there is some kind of relay switch that is keeping me from starting the car? I really love and baby our car big time, so hopefully I can get things fixed....

Thanks!
did you guys do the recommended test methods in the first post?
Old 07-02-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

did you guys do the recommended test methods in the first post?
DO or READ?

(Read = Do......almost the same things, right?)
Old 07-03-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by ezone
DO or READ?

(Read = Do......almost the same things, right?)
Haha, yeah, they did not mention any of the tests, even though one stated he read all the posts.
Old 01-19-2016
Registered!!

Jackie Grisack is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally after flushes and new radiators and thermostats and jugs and jugs of antifreeze and new hoses,clamps, new over flow, and caps for radiator and over flow, finally got a straight answer, the head gasket, and I said that's what it was a year ago but of course my husband thought it was everything else we wasted money on, but I'm a girl and don't know nothing, thanks for the info

There is a systematic sequence of events you have to go through to diagnose a head gasket. The way 99% people realize something is wrong is when their car starts overheating and the overflow is full to the top and the heat only blows hot when moving, not when idling. But hold your horses, it might not be a head gasket yet.

If the overflow tank is overfilling skip step #1-2.

1. Check your fans to make sure they are turning on and functioning properly, if not you need to replace either the fans themselves, the switches or relays.

2. You need to bleed the coolant system of air, which consists of jacking up the front of the car while it is cold. Removing the radiator cap, starting the car and turning the heat on full heat full blast. As the radiator drains down you need to refill it with OEM Honda coolant. Once the air is all bled out I lower the car back on its wheels, leave the radiator cap off overnight and top up the radiator in the morning. You will notice it has gone down a little bit top it up, put the rad cap back on and off you go. If however, the overheating problem comes back go to step #3.

3. A thermostat and radiator cap are common causes of air getting into the cooling system. They tend to age and are actually part of a cars regular maintenance. Since your POS is overheating, change them out and repeat step #2. If the overheating continues go to step #4.

4. Great, the cheap stuff is out of the way, now it's probably a head gasket... if the overflow however is not overfilling it could still be a water pump or a clog in the system. Unlikely though, since there are about a hundred threads a week here about people asking whats going on with their head gasket. On to step #5...

5. Now it's time to check for exhaust gases in the coolant system. The absolute best method is not a leak down test... or a pressure test because it may miss the problem. The best way hands down is a combustion leak test, where they check for actual exhaust in the radiator. Hell, here is a great video of Scotty Kilmer doing it:

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=122&t ransactionid=1305049178-1732384843&posted_by=tbohar_www.civicforums.com&yo utube_video_id=QA7KVQq9vKA[/autostream]

If you don't discover exhaust gases in the rad, the car is not blowing white smoke, spark plugs or oil cap are not white... your coolant system may be plugged up somewhere causing overheating. However, you car does not have to blow white smoke, have white spark plugs or oil cap in order for it to be the head gasket... it could be blown and not be showing any symptoms whatsoever except overheating/full overflow. On to step #6, and yes it's gonna hurt.

6. Time to start taking crap apart... start removing the head using hondas awesome service manual... when you get to the timing belt portion remove the water pump and make sure it's okay. If you find the water pump is corroded or some of the blades are gone replace it. Do go on and replace your head gasket anyway though. Your not only halfway there but if you detected gases in the exhaust system it is guaranteed to be the HG.

7. Head gaskets tend to blow because of an underlying problem that caused the car to overheat. You should do your due diligence and find out what the initial problem was or you risk blowing your head gasket again. Or you can just rely on it being the thermostat or rad cap which youve already replaced. Keep a close eye on your temp gauge after you repair it. THhe last thing you wanna be doing is replacing it again a few months later.this thread.

I hope this helps some people diagnose their head gasket issues. Anyone that asks as to why they are overheating on this forum should be pointed straight to this thread.

Great job sdaidoji... Stickied
Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

Lobsterman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Overheating and mysterious coolant loss common causes - reference

Great Information.
I have been going through all the steps and reluctantly believe I have a bad head gasket on my daughters 2004 Civc EX. Although it does not seem to overheat, at least according to the dash idiot guage, coolant is always low, and no visable leaks. After 25 miles of driveing the reservoir tank is full to the top after manual emptying. After test driveing large boiling like bubbles steady in reservoir tank. It is either boiling out of the radiator, or air. Idling with cap off radiator continually burps. Pressure test radiator with running presure reaches 17psi, increase the RPM and PSI up to 20 PSI. Pressure cycles 17-20PSI as the fan cuts in and out.
I believe the sequence of events was the thermostat stuck closed. Dad, for some reason my car overheats when I turn on the heater, and there is no heat. I replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. Heats good, but the damage was done. I would like to do a hydrocarbon test if I can find a test kit just to get the experience. Also would like to do the leak down test for the experience. Thanks for the information confirming my troubleshooting and some new tecniques.
Old 03-07-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Re: Overheating and mysterious coolant loss common causes - reference

Use the two tests shown in the videos in the first post. the second video is from a real honda dealer tech that knows what he is talking about

Quick Reply: Overheating and mysterious coolant loss common causes - reference