Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Engine reassembly - help camshaft, timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayesha151971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine reassembly - help camshaft, timing

Help:
Here is the problem. Someone else took MY engine apart then decided he wasn't going to reassemble it. Well they did not put it at tdc before taking it apart and I am putting the camshaft and the rockers back in and do not know what to do to make sure it is in the correct position. Would someone that knows what to do please help guide me so I don't ruin everything before it is even back together.
Old 05-15-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Engine reassembly - help camshaft, timing

Look at the crankshaft alignment marks.

What you want to do is set the crankshaft timing mark ("A") ~90 degrees CW or CCW from the alignment mark on the block ("B"). You want the "A" mark at roughly the 4 or 10 o'clock positions. This does not need to be exact. We're just trying to set all four pistons in the middle of the cylinders so they don't touch the valves when installing the camshaft. With no camshaft installed all valves are closed. You can rotate the crankshaft any direction you'd like with no risk of damage.

Next, install the camshaft. Put the "UP" mark somewhere near the top. You won't be able to get it exactly lined up but that's okay, just get it close.

Then turn the crankshaft so the "A" and "B" marks line up. Rotate the crankshaft CW or CCW, whichever way gets you aligned the quickest. If the crank is sitting near 4 o'clock, don't go CW past 7 to get back to 1. Instead, go CCW directly to 1 o'clock. With the camshaft now installed some valves are open. If you rotate the crankshaft past 1 or 7 o'clock, you may damage valves.

Finally, proceed with the timing belt installation per the service manual. Hopefully this all makes sense.

Last edited by BrotatoChip; 05-15-2023 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Fix
Old 05-15-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine reassembly - help camshaft, timing

on the upper timing belt cover, there are 2 protrusions, one is pointy, the other is a v-notch. when aligning the two, they should point right at one of the 2 marks on the crank pulley (I think the red one.. it's been a while since I took a look at a D17 -- I vaguely recall it's the right mark, when looking at the face of the pulley. That will indicate TDC for the bottom end. One trick is to use a wooden dowel (or cut out the long part of a plastic hanger), and stick it in the park plug tube for #1 cylinder. Use the marks on the crank pulley to get you close, and watch the dowel/rod/piece of coat hanger to see when it's at its highest point.

For the head, look at the marks on the cam gear. There should be one spoke that has "UP" labelled on it

quick question, is the head off, or is the rocker assembly just disassembled?