Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2004 LX o2 sensor malfunction [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Halfchapo is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2004 LX o2 sensor malfunction [solved]

Around 6 months ago i bought a civic 2004 LX d17a1 that had the check engine light on

I went with a mechanic that checked the code with a scanner and it was the O2 sensor bank 1, i bought one brand new o2 sensor from autozone and it wasnt compatible so i bought a DENSO sensor that was functional

the mechanic did the swap of the sensor and it seemed to work fine but for some reason after a while of running the same day the car the check engine went on again, After that i junked one old sensor from another honda civic and the same result, the mechanic checked the wiring, the voltages and deleted the code every single time and it seemed to come more faster when the car was at functional tempterature.

for some reason the o2 sensors give readings when the error code is deleted but after a short period of time the o2 sensors stop giving readings and they just flat on a value.

the reason i was concerned by the error code was because the car MPG was to low at around 11 to 14, the car has around 400k km on it, but it seems excesive consumption and it has a rough idle.

for the time being i think it could be a clogged catalytic converter because the car wont go past 100 km/h or 4500k revs (i dont know if the fact that is a non-vtec affects this) and this may overheat the o2 sensor i think
or an error in the computer but is hard to test given the prices of the parts mencioned.

Last edited by Halfchapo; 02-07-2023 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
re: 2004 LX o2 sensor malfunction [solved]

unbolt before the cat and see if it improves - this should bypass the cat by throwing exhaust directly to atmosphere. it will be loud, just temporary test
Old 02-07-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

What's the actual code number?
Old 07-10-2023
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Halfchapo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello guys, i have discovered the solution to the multiple issues listed.

First of all the sensor malfunction is caused by a ground cable that is malfunctioning.

Second i had a blown head gasket that caused overheating and poor gas mileage so it was somewhat solved mpg wise.

Third the acceleration issues were also solved up to some extend, i have indeed a partially clogged catalytic converter but most of the issues where caused by the headgasket leak.

on rewards to the repair it went to upwards of 700 usd which is a lot since i live on mexico
and they had to rectify the block, the head, solder cylinders que all sorts of repairs because the previous owner used plain tap water.

now with the repairs and using anti-freeze coolant the car seems to run fine at the moment, thanks for your responses and i hope this to be useful for someone else.
The following users liked this post:
sdaidoji (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Glad you got it sorted. Head gasket failures are very common in this generation.