Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

05 civic timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mac427 is an unknown quantity at this point
05 civic timing belt replacement

I am going to replace the timing belt, water pump and tensioner. I have watched a couple of videos and on both the crankshaft pulley was removed which is a lot of work. I have a Haynes and a Chilton manual and they both say if you don't have the special tool to remove the crankshaft pulley you can wedge a screwdriver between the starter and flywheel to prevent the crankshaft from moving off the timing marks. Has anyone done the repair by wedging a screwdriver between the starter and flywheel. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-11-2020
Click Here

Received 1,161 Likes on 906 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 05 civic timing belt replacement

Any auto parts store will rent the tool out for free. I did that way the first time (screwdriver), but it was a total pain in the ***.
Old 07-12-2020
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

No to answer your question.
Buy the Lisle crank shaft pulley socket is always an option assuming you have an impact.

Amazon Amazon

Its really not that hard to get it off if you employ leverage. If I can do it....
If you haven't already and you are a diy non pro guy , which I assume you are you may want to watch piercedasian and ratchet and wrenches videos on 7th gen timing belts.
Good luck.

Old 07-12-2020
Registered!!

Thanks for responding, I have seen the tool used on a couple of videos and will view it again once I get the tool. Thanks for your help
Old 07-12-2020
Registered!!

Thanks for the tip. Good to know the screwdriver method is a hassle. I will go with the tool.
Old 07-12-2020
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Yes, go with the crank bolt holder tool (free rental) at O' Really's, Advance and Autoboned. If you're considering buying an impact wrench Harbor Freight sells this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/85-amp...nch-64120.html . I purchased it a few months ago with a 20% off coupon and I can attest that (so far) it's solid. It's one drawback is it's length can make it hard to fit in some situations (insert dick joke) but that's not an issue for an axle nut removal. I used it to remove a lawn mower blade nut, strut/knuckle nuts and lug nuts. This driver didn't break a sweat on any of those.

If you go the breaker bar and socket route definitely use a jackstand to support the breaker bar/extension/socket set-up as shown in videos or write-ups. Use PB Blaster spray on the axle nut a few hours before removing. Use a long metal pipe or even a long, sturdy piece of PVC pipe to put over the end of the breaker bar. My fat *** weighs 235 and I had to stand on PVC extension to get the axle nut to break loose. Helps to have another breaker bar or similar long handle tool to attach to crank tool holder because that tool will be absorbing a lot of torque during the axle nut removal.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 07-15-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,163 Likes on 810 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
Yes, go with the crank holder tool (free rental) at O' Really's, Advance and Autoboned. If you're considering buying an impact wrench Harbor Freight sells this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/85-amp...nch-64120.html . I purchased it a few months ago with a 20% off coupon and I can attest that (so far) it's solid. It's one drawback is it's length can make it hard to fit in some situations (insert dick joke) but that's not an issue for an axle nut removal. I used it to remove a lawn mower blade nut, strut/knuckle nuts and lug nuts. This driver didn't break a sweat on any of those.

If you go the breaker bar and socket route definitely use a jackstand to support the breaker bar/extension/socket set-up as shown in videos or write-ups. Use PB Blaster spray on the axle nut a few hours before removing. Use a long metal pipe or even a long, sturdy piece of PVC pipe to put over the end of the breaker bar. My fat *** weighs 235 and I had to stand on PVC extension to get the axle nut to break loose. Helps to have another breaker bar or similar long handle tool to attach to crank tool holder because that tool will be absorbing a lot of torque during the axle nut removal.
axle nut? Or do you mean crank pulley bolt?

more on the breaker bar extension. I personally used the lever for my hydraulic jack slipped over the end of my 14" 1/2-drive breaker bar.
Old 07-15-2020
Registered!!

HR,

Thanks for the info. Sorry I took so long to reply. I tried to break the bolt loose yesterday with a socket and several i/2 extensions supported on a jackstand and a 3/4 ratchet and It snapped off the end of one of the extensions. The extensions were generic. I will replace them with Craftsman and try again. I saw quite a few videos on how to remove the nut so this is a big problem on Honda engines that turn counterclockwise. I have an air impact gun which I will try also.
Old 07-15-2020
Registered!!

I meant the crank pully bolt. Thanks for the tip on using the jack handle as a cheater bar.
Old 07-15-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,163 Likes on 810 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mac427
HR,

I tried to break the bolt loose yesterday with a socket and several i/2 extensions supported on a jackstand and a 3/4 ratchet and It snapped off the end of one of the extensions.
Yep, been there, done that. Then I graduated to impact rated extensions. lol
Old 07-15-2020
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
axle nut? Or do you mean crank pulley bolt?
I meant the holder tool for the crank pulley bolt. Jackstand to support the breaker bar/extension/socket during crank bolt removal.
Yes, not sure why I mentioned an axle nut in my previous post..lol. OP: Spray PB on crank pulley bolt.

Speaking of axle nuts I've recently learned that removing, and especially installing a wheel hubs assembly with an impact wrench can cause CV axle shock (whatever the f**k that is?). I've known for years to stalling a wheel hub to use a torque wrench only on the axle nut to avoid over-tightening but never knew an impact wrench can possibly cause damage the cv axle.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 07-15-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,341 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

For the crank pulley bolt I use an impact rated 1/2" drive 19mm socket, a 6" impact rated 1/2" drive extension, an impact rated 3/4" to 1/2" drive adapter, a regular 16" 3/4" drive extension, 3/4" drive 2' breaker bar with a 4' cheater pipe on the end supported with a jack underneath. Never had any issues getting them loose this way.
Old 07-16-2020
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac427
HR,

Thanks for the info. Sorry I took so long to reply. I tried to break the bolt loose yesterday with a socket and several i/2 extensions supported on a jackstand and a 3/4 ratchet and It snapped off the end of one of the extensions.
Damn!!