Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Looking for a solution to p1457

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pyrodex209 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for a solution to p1457

My 2001 Honda Civic is throwing a p1457 code. I replaced the canister, two way vent, and purge valve. I’m out of options and would rather replace parts than take it in somewhere and pay $$$

if anyone has a quick next problem I can look at I would appreciate the help.
Old 06-15-2020
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Looking for a solution to p1457

Did you clear the code after you replaced those parts?
Old 06-15-2020
Registered!!

Yes I cleared the code and the code stayed off for about 7 or 8 drive cycles. The car had about a quarter tank of gas when I cleared the code after replacing all those parts. Then I filled up and two drive cycles later “6 miles” the code came back on.
Old 06-15-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Have you checked the fuel cap?
Old 06-15-2020
Registered!!

I have not. The code is a p1457 not 1456. From what I understand 1456 codes are fuel side related. I considered just replacing it for the hell of it. If it is the gas cap then I just replaced most of my evap system for no reason ha.

Will the gas cap fall into the p1457 code?
Old 06-15-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Open wire between the EVAP purge control solenoid valve and the PCM?
Open wire between the EVAP purge control solenoid valve and the #4 fuse (10A) in the Under-Dash Fuse/Relay Box?
Short in the wire between the EVAP bypass solemoid valve and the PCM?
Bad PCM?
Open in the wire between the EVAP canister vent shut valve and the PCM?
Open in the wire between the EVAP canister vent shut valve and the #4 fuse (10A) in the Under-Dash Fuse/Relay Box?
Inspect the EVAP canister vent shut valve line and connections for leaks or use a vacuum pump.
Inspect the EVAP puge control spolenoid valve line and connections for leaks or use a vacuum pump.

You've already replaced the 3 main components. You used OEM parts correct?

Do you smell fuel around these areas?

FWIW, replacing the EVAP canister vent shut valve and the canister (because screws rusted) solved my P1457 code years ago.
Old 06-15-2020
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pyrodex209
From what I understand 1456 codes are fuel side related.
Shoot, I believe you are correct. I had a P1457 a few years back and it also turned out to be the canister shut valve like NDNV said.
Old 06-15-2020
Registered!!

Yes I replaced the three main components with quality parts. I bought a gas cap earlier and put it on clearing code later. I’m going to check fuses tonight and if they all look good and the code comes back on after the new gas cap I’m just going to take it in. At least all those parts will be replaced. My luck it’s probably bad hose somewhere that would have cost me 50 cents to fix.
Old 06-16-2020
Super Moderator

At some point you will have to start troubleshooting instead of blindly replacing parts
Old 06-16-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

My 2002 threw a p1457 code. I let it go for a while since it didn't seem to affect anything except for potentially pissing off hippies. That, and I didn't want to blindly throw parts at it. About a month later, she threw a p1298 code. Replaced the ELD all codes went away.

Anecdotal, sure, but your issue may be on the electrical side of things. Disclaimer, I'm not telling you to warm up the parts cannon and up and throw a new ELD at it in hopes that it works. Just mentioning it alleviated the codes with my particular experience.
Old 06-16-2020
Registered!!

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pyrodex209
Yes I replaced the three main components with quality parts. I bought a gas cap earlier and put it on clearing code later. I’m going to check fuses tonight and if they all look good and the code comes back on after the new gas cap I’m just going to take it in. At least all those parts will be replaced. My luck it’s probably bad hose somewhere that would have cost me 50 cents to fix.
I am currently dealing with this code also on my '05 Civic EX. I replaced the canister and the vent shut valve. It's only been a few days so I'll have to wait to see if the code comes back. I am a bit concerned now that you still have the code after replacing all three components.

Is it possible you forgot to put a hose back on or connect the electrical connector? I remember I forgot to re-insert the larger hose that goes from the canister shut valve to the that small cylinder closer to the driver's side. I removed the entire thing during disassembly and forgot to re-install at the small cylinder (I believe it's a filter).

If it turns out to be an electrical problem or torn hose, I think it'll be a b*tch to find

Let us know if you fix the problem.
Old 06-16-2020
Registered!!

I will keep you posted for sure. I definitely made sure all those items, hoses connectors, were put back correctly. Yes this is my worry it’s electrical or a small leak in a hose somewhere.

I got the new gas cap and reset the code so far it hasn’t come on and I have an almost full tank of gas. The code seems to come on faster when I have a full tank. One of the videos I watched mentioned that since the tank is full it increases pressure on the system and tiny leaks become faster due to increased pressure. So this is making me think it may be a hose somewhere that a smoke test or soap and water could find.

Parts Cannon I love that. I actually just threw the parts cannon at all new struts, rotors, pads and calipers.
Old 06-16-2020
Registered!!

bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

Last time I disconnected the battery without doing anything to fix the code, it took almost two weeks before the CEL came back. So I'm suspecting it might be a while since I'm not currently driving to work.

My gas cap has a couple of small tears on the rubber seal, but they do not split all the way through. So I didn't think to replace it. If the code comes back, replacing the cap will be my last "simple fix" resort. If that doesn't work, a good amount of troubleshooting will be in order. Who knows, maybe a chipmunk crawled to the top of the tank and chewed through something. I see them frequently jumping up into the engine bay before I come and whack on the bumper to scare them off.

Is there a fuse for all those components?

Edit: Looks like it is #4 fuse. Missed NDNV's info in previous post.

Last edited by bachands; 06-16-2020 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Missed previous info
Old 06-22-2020
Registered!!

So unfortunately my CEL came back on. This time, however, it is code P0497 - Evaporative Emission System Low Purge Flow. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that someone else had this happen. I'm unsure if they got it fixed or what they did.

I'll be looking into this.....
Old 06-22-2020
Registered!!

Well I’ve put the evap code on the back burner.... I was driving down the freeway two days ago and my ac compressor blew and destroyed the serpentine belt. I was out of town luckily not too far so triple a will be able to tow it back to my house from the shop I was able to limp it to.
Old 06-22-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Oh man! That's sucks!
Old 06-23-2020
Registered!!

Yeah that sucks! Good luck with everything.