Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Strange A/C Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
montoya661 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Strange A/C Noise

Can anyone figure out what may be the cause of this noise? it only occurs with the a/c on during acceleration or when I give it some throttle in park. All of the belts on the car are brand new as I just did a headgasket job and this noise was an issue before I did the job so it is not a result in the head gasket work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7O9...ature=youtu.be

Here is a video for reference.
Old 08-27-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Strange A/C Noise

Sounds like you have in alien in your engine..lol.
Accessory belts too tight? Sounds like metal against rubber but that's just a guess. Start buy checking the a/c tensioner pulley. Might be timing belt rubbing the timing belt cover? Water pump failing/squeeling. Use an auto-stethoscope or a piece of PVC pipe to listen more closely for noise source.

See if you can rev it to emulate these sounds (lol):
Old 08-27-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
Sounds like you have in alien in your engine..lol.
Accessory belts too tight? Sounds like metal against rubber but that's just a guess. Start buy checking the a/c tensioner pulley. Might be timing belt rubbing the timing belt cover? Water pump failing/squeeling. Use an auto-stethoscope or a piece of PVC pipe to listen more closely for noise source.

See if you can rev it to emulate these sounds (lol):
Water pump is brand new, the car doesn't make the noise without the A/C on and the timing is fine so its not the timing belt. I have a feeling it is the A/C compressor as that is what the belt rides on and the noise is only present when the A/C compressor engages the clutch and I accelerate.
Old 08-27-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by montoya661
noise is only present when the A/C compressor engages the clutch and I accelerate.
What deflection depth did you use to determine belt tension?

AC compressor bearings noise? Possibly the compressor shaft is warped? https://www.google.com/amp/s/autoacr...bearing/%3famp
Old 08-27-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
What deflection depth did you use to determine belt tension?

AC compressor bearings noise? Possibly the compressor shaft is warped? https://www.google.com/amp/s/autoacr...bearing/%3famp
Basically this diagram