Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Camshaft sensor failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019
DIY apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stevil714 is an unknown quantity at this point
Camshaft sensor failure

Camshaft sensor failed and bought replacement. Have been googling and you tubing on how to replace the sensor. Was wondering if anyone had any pointers or help would greatly be appreciated. Or should I just bring it to a shop. My car has 276000 miles on it but motor only has around 45000. Please help a brother out. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-11-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Camshaft sensor failure

1. Take off valve cover. It at least loosen it so you can take the upper timing cover off
  2. Take off your timing over. Iirc, like 4 bolts?
  3. Disconnect pigtail harness from sensor.
  4. Remove mounting bolt from sensor, then remove sensor
  5. Install new sensor. Be careful because these things done play nice with being dropped or over-torqued
  6. Connect pigtail harness
  7. Install upper timing cover
  8. Install valve cover
It's really straightforward. Just make sure you torque the mounting bolt down properly and/or some blue thread lock
Old 08-11-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

I would add in between step 3 and step 4.

Step 3.5 - shove a old shirt into every nook and cranny of the lower timing cover.

If you drop that mounting bolt taking it off or putting it on, your in for a whole lot more work...

oh yea step 5.5 remove old shirt.
Old 08-11-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Hopefully you bought an OEM sensor
Old 10-28-2019
Registered!!

Bombquad00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 01 civic vtec replacing the tdc sensor.. I cant get to the plug to press the release tab because of the ABS module so close to the side cover... Any help plz... Thank you
Old 10-28-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Connector may be full of dirt and grime. Try hosing the connection with wd40 or brake clean
Old 10-28-2019
Registered!!

Bombquad00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its real clean .. Just cant get my hand (fingers) down there to squeeze the plug to release it due to the ABS being so close to the timing belt cover..I can get through the lines and hoses.. Just cant reach the plug.. Kinda inset..thank you
Old 10-28-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

yeaaaahhh... that plug sucks to get to, and I have small hands, too.

Pull accessory belts, lift and swing the PS pump out of the way, remove alternator, remove driver's side headlight. Doing all that gives you some extra wiggle room to play with. It really easy to do all that, too. Got to a point where I could have all that taken out inside of 15 minutes.
Old 10-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy a honda oem valve cover gasket if you are replacing yours.