Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Radiator neck upper broke

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subs is an unknown quantity at this point
Radiator neck upper broke

Upper radiator neck broken

Just bought a 2003 Civic from an auction and was keeping my fingers crossed. It had some heating issues. I saw heavy coolant leak and the cap was loose. I thought radiator cap was the one and replaced it. When I was replacing it saw the upper hose dangling freely. When I tried to connect hose, I found out the radiator neck broke.

I want your help guys on how to fix this neck without replacing the radiator. What is the outer and inner diameter of the upper radiator neck and hose? Can I put some reinforcement and connect the hose. I want to know what dimensions I should be looking at. Please guide me. Thank You!
Old 07-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Radiator neck upper broke

There is nothing you should do but to replace that radiator.

Those parts were likely microwave fused initially, pretty much no glue is going to bond that old brittle plastic together reliably.
Old 07-23-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Most definitely replace that rad. It's really not difficult nor terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things
Old 07-23-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Replace the rad it's less than $100 and very easy to diy
Old 07-26-2019
Registered!!

Subs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone, I have decided to replace the radiator. Found a good video (A1) on YouTube and made note of all the steps. Found out I have to top off my transmission fluid too since there are 2 tranny lines on the radiator. Going to be fun. Hopefully get it done in a week as soon as the part arrives.
Old 07-26-2019
Registered!!

Tim1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Subs
Upper radiator neck broken

Just bought a 2003 Civic from an auction and was keeping my fingers crossed. It had some heating issues. I saw heavy coolant leak and the cap was loose. I thought radiator cap was the one and replaced it. When I was replacing it saw the upper hose dangling freely. When I tried to connect hose, I found out the radiator neck broke.

I want your help guys on how to fix this neck without replacing the radiator. What is the outer and inner diameter of the upper radiator neck and hose? Can I put some reinforcement and connect the hose. I want to know what dimensions I should be looking at. Please guide me. Thank You!
----------------------------------------------
After many years of experience doing auto repair, I've concluded that radiators are NOT repairable. If a radiator is cracked, leaking or otherwise damaged it must be replaced.
On Hondas, I ALWAYS use OEM (Honda) radiator caps. OEM parts always fit and work BETTER than aftermarket parts. My $.02 :-)