Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Radiator fan connector possibly melted w/ video

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tester is an unknown quantity at this point
Radiator fan connector possibly melted w/ video

Hi,
I am the owner of a Civic 2001 LX.

The weather outisde has been quite hot in the past 2 weeks an it currently reaches around 30 Celsius/ 86-87 Fahrenheit.
The A/C in my car stopped working about 3 years ago and I was told by two mechanics that the compressor needs to be replaced. Driving without A/C is a nuisance bu I manage.

I was driving my car today and have suddenly noticed a pungent burning plastic smell. The car was still driving as normal so I drove it home without worrying too much, I assumed it was a burned fuse or a fault with the power window switch (happened before).
When I arrived home I realized that the smell is coming from under the hood. As I popped the hood, I noticed that the part at the center of the radiator fan was basically melting away, some of the plastic liquefied as well.

I am currently at the process of looking for a newer Civic due to the broken A/C and the fact that the brakes would soon need to be replaced. I don't want to keep throwing money at a car that I can probably sell for $500 in the best case.
Nonetheless, I would like to be able to drive the car in the short term and possible sell it and not give it to scrap.

I am attaching a link to a video I took right after I switched th eengine off and popped the hood. The smoke is still visible in the video and the yellow gunk that formed is also noticeable.
What do you guys think the issue is? Can I safely drive the car?
What would be required to fix it?

Thanks for any input!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SbE...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-10-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Radiator fan connector possibly melted w/ video

Your connector looks fine.

Replace the fan.

Keep a eye out for leakage from the radiator, possible the fan punctured it.

As too why it happened, age.
Old 07-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tester is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Radiator fan connector possibly melted w/ video

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Your connector looks fine.

Replace the fan.

Keep a eye out for leakage from the radiator, possible the fan punctured it.

As too why it happened, age.
Thank you for the reply.
As you said, the issue was with the fan which had to be replaced by the mechanic. Luckily no other issues.