Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96CivicVtechE My Cooling fan wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supafreak101 is an unknown quantity at this point
96CivicVtechE My Cooling fan wont turn on

just recently i bought a 96 civic Hx and i noticed that my cooling/radiator fan will not come on when the car temp. gets to about half way on the meter and my engine gets very hot. I tested the cooling fan and the motor works just fine on it. i replaced the fuse and the relay for the cooling fan. i also replaced the thermostat And the heat sensor. the fan still wont turn on after letting my car get warmed up. there is the right amount of coolant in my car and i know that there are no air pockets in the radiator and the hoses. there is not a fan condensor in my vehicle, however, there is a condensor fan relay and a condensor fan fuse, which probably means there was an ac unit in my car at one time before i bought it? i guess. the hose on top of my radiator gets very very hot and the hose on the bottom of my radiator that goes to the thermostat just gets warm... can someone tell me what this means? also i was wondering what other options do i have in getting my cooling fan to turn on at the correct temperature. id appreciate any information that someone can gather for me... o btw, i replaced my radiator cap and i know i dont have a problem with my head gasket. i searched the forums several times but i just couldnt get the information i was looking for... thanks
Old 09-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you need to pull a wiring diagram of the radiator circuit. Your fan motor may work fine, but you need to check and see if it gets power. Also you may have a faulty radiator fan switch. since you have replaced all the other items in the circuit, I would start looking there. You could also possibly have a bad ground for the radiator fan. The person who last had the car, when they removed the AC unit, may have possibly disrupted something causing the fan to not work now. Also I am not sure, but there should be seperate fuses for each the radiator fan and for the condensor fan, but there may be one main fuse for both the radiator fan circuit and the condensor fan circuit. and that may be blown. That is how it is on the newer civics, not sure about the older ones.