Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Blue Smoke on Start-up

Old 06-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abdias Sanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Blue Smoke on Start-up

One morning I went to start my car and it started blowing a lot of blue smoke for a while. After a bit it stopped completely. This has been happening consistently with every cold start. The amount of blue smoke is proportional to how long it sits. Are my valve stem seals shot? It’s a D17A1 with 230k miles. I don’t know if this is is relevant but I did did an oil change about a week ago. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Blue Smoke on Start-up

Very likely the seals have failed,

Its blue when cold because your catalytic converter is cold and not burning up the oil smoke.

By the way, your dramatically shortening the life of your converter as you let this go on.
Old 06-17-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

May not be related but did you replace the oil with 5W20 non-synthetic?
Faulty PCV valve?
Old 07-09-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abdias Sanchez is an unknown quantity at this point

So the oil burning on start up has stopped happening (without me doing anything at all). I'm relieved but confused. One theory I have is that I might have overfilled the engine with oil when I changed it. Another is that I put more oil stabilizer (Lucas HD) than I usually do on this change so I might've changed the viscosity a bit.

I worked on the car today and was curious about the PCV valve. It seems fine and I shook it to make sure its functioning and I think the valve opens. I cleaned it and reinstalled it. Will update if the smoke comes back.Thanks for the replies.