Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Oozing oil/headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
noquacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Oozing oil/headgasket

People,

2001 civic ex, original owner. 145,000 miles. Car starts every day, runs excellently. Has been oozing oil at right front corner of cyl head. Thing is, ifg it is a head gasket break why dont I see milkshake ooze under oil cap? Maybe it's not that bad yet?? I know it's gonna need one soon. Can I wait? It looses about a quart every 6 weeks (300 miles).

Thanks, people.
Old 04-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Oozing oil/headgasket

head gasket wouldnt leak oil,

valve cover gasket, or cam seal
Old 04-24-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

pics
Old 04-24-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1

valve cover gasket, or cam seal
Wow, I didnt know, mikey! Good to know! So, now I know I dont need a head gasket, which is such great news. Now, valve cover gasket is new, just had it done about a year ago. Wouldnt that include the cam seal?? I did hear about how our cars leak from the cam seal area. I will provide a picture asap and post here.

Only other thing I can mention is that the oozing is right where the trans bell housing meets up to the engine . Any ideas about that? .
Old 04-24-2019
Registered!!

After some thought, are you sure? Oil is pumped up to camshaft, and seeps back down. If a gasket is broken whats stopping the oil from seeping through the broken gasket to ooze out of the head while it's on its way down to oil pan again? I dont get it, mickey. Please explain a bit more, if possible.......
Old 04-24-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Post pics of your oil leakage please

Many other items are far more likely to leak oil, let us see what you are dealing with
Valve cover gasket, cam plug, vtec gaskets are common leak items (cam plug drools and runs down front of bellhousing/block area)

Head gasket would cause a different list of symptoms than oil leak
Old 04-24-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Post pics of your oil leakage please

Many other items are far more likely to leak oil, let us see what you are dealing with
Valve cover gasket, cam plug, vtec gaskets are common leak items (cam plug drools and runs down front of bellhousing/block area)

Head gasket would cause a different list of symptoms than oil leak
OK, ezone. thanks for the quick reply, and feedback. I am encouraged that it may not be the head gasket. It will take a day or 2 to get the pictures up.........
Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by noquacks

Only other thing I can mention is that the oozing is right where the trans bell housing meets up to the engine . Any ideas about that? .
oh....when you said right side of the engine, i thought you meant the timing belt side,

you most likely need a new cam plug seal,

its a round plastic plug at the left end of the cam,

that would not have been replaced with the valve cover gasket
Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02civilx is an unknown quantity at this point

yea the plug seals the what used to be distributor mount. funny how they still make a distributor mount spot with the bolt holes on this engine when it uses coil on plug
Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

oh....when you said right side of the engine, i thought you meant the timing belt side,

you most likely need a new cam plug seal,

its a round plastic plug at the left end of the cam,

that would not have been replaced with the valve cover gasket
Thanks again, mickey. Im hoping it is that plastic cam cover! How sloppy of them not to have popped a new one in when they had it all taken apart! I still plan on taking a photo, just to maker sure.......
Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

But, once I determine that 100% it is that plug, I tried this before and those 12mm nuts on the EGR are MURDER to reach/get off with a regular socket! How does one do it? Maybe take a cheap box wrench and bend it to an angle? Other way?
Old 04-25-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

1/4 inch drive socket, elbow and three inch extension, worked for me.
Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
1/4 inch drive socket, elbow and three inch extension, worked for me.
Thanks, mac. This "elbow", is that a universal joint?
Old 04-25-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, mac. This "elbow", is that a universal joint?
Probably.

The cam plug is Honda part # 12513-P72-003 and retail should be about 11 US dollars at any Honda dealership
(online may be cheaper but shipping may cost more than it's worth)

You may or may not need a fresh gasket for the egr valve, depends on when you pry the valve off if the gasket gets damaged or not
Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

Probably.

The cam plug is Honda part # 12513-P72-003 and retail should be about 11 US dollars at any Honda dealership
(online may be cheaper but shipping may cost more than it's worth)

You may or may not need a fresh gasket for the egr valve, depends on when you pry the valve off if the gasket gets damaged or not
Good to know, ezone. I was planning to use red rtv sealant if the egr gasket was old/damaged. Shouldnt that be good? Used it many times before for other engine parts.......
Old 04-25-2019

Red screams 'DIYer was here' LOL

Make sure any RTV you use clearly states that it is Oxygen Sensor Safe. Many are, but some are not so read carefully
Silicone in any form whether spray lubricant or RTV sealant or whatever, even the fumes from silicone sucked through the air filter of a running engine, will ruin oxygen sensors

Hondas 'Hondabond' rtv is gray color, Permatex ultra gray may be a suitable equivalent...
Some people smear a light coat of it around the new cam plug before installing it, even though the new cam plug from Honda has a new O ring on it already
Old 04-26-2019
Registered!!

Red screams 'DIYer was here' LOL

Make sure any RTV you use clearly states that it is Oxygen Sensor Safe. Many are, but some are not so read carefully
Silicone in any form whether spray lubricant or RTV sealant or whatever, even the fumes from silicone sucked through the air filter of a running engine, will ruin oxygen sensors

Hondas 'Hondabond' rtv is gray color, Permatex ultra gray may be a suitable equivalent...
Some people smear a light coat of it around the new cam plug before installing it, even though the new cam plug from Honda has a new O ring on it already
I will remember that, ezone. I AM a DIY'r. But I appreciate tips from pros/other people, like the people here. So helpful. I have permatex black, actually. But let's see first whats under there........
Old 04-26-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

just buy the gasket its $10
Old 04-26-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
just buy the gasket its $10
OK, ok, guess I will.......(sad face).

trying to get a picture up right now.......
Old 04-26-2019
Registered!!

heres the picture.
Old 04-26-2019
Registered!!

I shined a light right where the oil would be collecting/pooling IF it was leaking from the cam plug, but to my dissapointment there was no pooling of oil. Watched a few videos where some of our civics had same problem and they always showed oil pooling, as a result of the cam plug leak. So, does this mean the plug is good still, and it has to be the head gasket?
Old 04-26-2019

Your pic doesn't show the origin of the leak, just the evidence?
Take a pic pointing straight down---between the EGR valve and the head, including the round cam plug?

you could clean everything absolutely spotless then throw a bunch of talc/right guard/flour or any other light colored powder on the area, that would help lead you to a source once it leaks enough to leave a trail
Old 04-26-2019
Registered!!

Your pic doesn't show the origin of the leak, just the evidence?
Take a pic pointing straight down---between the EGR valve and the head, including the round cam plug?

you could clean everything absolutely spotless then throw a bunch of talc/right guard/flour or any other light colored powder on the area, that would help lead you to a source once it leaks enough to leave a trail
Such a pic would be such a tough angle, ezone. I dont think its possible. Theres no way to get the angle one needs with the radiator housing in the way. But let me proceed to washing it all down, now that I took the pic with all the goo. Talc is a good idea. Have you even heard of the cam seal being at fault even if theres no puddle below it?
Old 04-30-2019
Registered!!

Update: What about the idea of removing the bulky air filter housing, and associated big black tube as well as the EGR valve, to provide access to view that part of the engine, then start the engine and run for just a bit, and while running view the leak as it actually seeps out? Can I do any serious damage to the engine? Can it run OK with EGR disconnected?

I dont think it needs to run more than say, 3-4 minutes, at the rate the oil is seeping out.

Am out of ideas, and this one is last chance to verify the seepage. I tried talc, but inconclusive- talc just gets soaked with oil, leaves no clear path of seepage source.
Old 04-30-2019
Registered!!

Update: What about the idea of removing the bulky air filter housing, and associated big black tube as well as the EGR valve, to provide access to view that part of the engine, then start the engine and run for just a bit, and while running view the leak as it actually seeps out? Can I do any serious damage to the engine? Can it run OK with EGR disconnected?

I dont think it needs to run more than say, 3-4 minutes, at the rate the oil is seeping out.

Am out of ideas, and this one is last chance to verify the seepage. I tried talc, but inconclusive- talc just gets soaked with oil, leaves no clear path of seepage source.
you can remove the big black intake box on top of the tranny and still run the car, your air filter will still be in place, all that box really does is make the intake quiet....its kind of like a muffler
Old 04-30-2019
Registered!!

you can remove the big black intake box on top of the tranny and still run the car, your air filter will still be in place, all that box really does is make the intake quiet....its kind of like a muffler
Thanks, mikey! There is hope! Will try it tonight! But, I cant remove the EGR too, providing more space to view? Even if it creates a code, wont it revert back ok with no code showing after I install egr back again?
Old 04-30-2019

I tried talc, but inconclusive- talc just gets soaked with oil
"Absolutely spotless" meant cleaning thoroughly leaving absolutely no traces of oil residue...before you throw talc at it.

Thanks, mikey! There is hope! Will try it tonight! But, I cant remove the EGR too, providing more space to view? Even if it creates a code, wont it revert back ok with no code showing after I install egr back again?
It's possible to run the engine while EGR is removed, but it won't be pleasant. Most people should not attempt it IMO.
Old 04-30-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

With the EGR valve removed the exhaust gas that it regulates will vent to atmosphere.

It may also cause a miss fire.

You're looking to see if you have a leaking

-valve cover seal
-camshaft plug
-vtec solenoid seal (if applicable)
-rear main seal

Research the above items so you understand their function/location
Old 04-30-2019

Originally Posted by mac25
With the EGR valve removed
there will also be a HUGE vacuum leak, and the engine will respond accordingly
Old 04-30-2019

If you're going to all this trouble just to hunt down the leak.....go buy the new cam plug and replace it just because you're already there

Quick Reply: Oozing oil/headgasket