Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Engine noise when under load

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaveS is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine noise when under load

Hi folks,

I have a 2007 Civic, 1.8 petrol

I've recently noticed a noise which sounds like it's coming from the engine. Kind of a chugging sound, a little like a an old diesel. I can only hear it on acceleration or when cruising and only when the car is in gear. Seems more obvous a low revs, up to 3000 or so.

It's not there at all when out of gear. No engine warning lights. No loss of power.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Engine noise when under load

Sound clip please.
Old 04-06-2019
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

If you could upload a video of the sound it is making, that would be very helpful. Also, this thread belongs in the 8th gen section of the site, but no biggie
Old 04-06-2019
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveS
Hi folks,

I have a 2007 Civic, 1.8 petrol

I've recently noticed a noise which sounds like it's coming from the engine. Kind of a chugging sound, a little like a an old diesel. I can only hear it on acceleration or when cruising and only when the car is in gear. Seems more obvous a low revs, up to 3000 or so.

Quote -
"It's not there at all when out of gear. No engine warning lights. No loss of power."

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
If the Noise Only ocures while its in gear, then goes away when your out of gear then clearly its in the driveline could possibly be internal transmission problem.

1st thing to check is the transmission fluid Level.?
Old 04-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaveS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't get a sound clip as you couldn't hear it on my phone over the engine and road noise. Took it to the garage in the end who said the gearbox was on its way out. £550 for a replacement
Old 04-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DaveS
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't get a sound clip as you couldn't hear it on my phone over the engine and road noise. Took it to the garage in the end who said the gearbox was on its way out. £550 for a replacement
I'm sorry to hear that, that sucks. The noise could very well be a bad transmission, but maybe there could still be hope. It is possible that something like the exhaust is rattling from vibration when the engine is under load. I had a broken exhaust hanger on my Civic that caused a pretty bad rattling noise, but only when the trans was in gear. I thought that the engine was going out initially until I found the broken exhaust hanger. That may or may not be your problem, but certainly worth considering.

Oh and if this was my car, I would check the transmission fluid to make sure it's full and to check for metal shavings. If yours in an auto, there will be a dipstick with a yellow handle on the top of the transmission. If you have a manual transmission, there is a fill plug on the side of the trans that you would need to remove. The oil level should be up to the fill plug and it shouldn't have glitter in it. I hope this helps and good luck with your car!

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 04-27-2019 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added more info