Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Rough Idle and Almost Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
randlescrandle is an unknown quantity at this point
Rough Idle and Almost Stalls

Hello there, Im new to the whole posting on forums/threads thing but I don't know where else to to go. Dec of 2018, my 2001 Honda Civic LX was diagnosed with a misfire on cylinder one. I bought this car used and it already had the check engine light on. Anyways, car was diagnosed and I did not want to take it to the shop because they all overprice their labor and it seemed easy enough to work on my Civic (Boy was I somewhat wrong). The car sat most of the winter with snow piled on the vehicle. Once all the snow melted and it got warm enough to work outside, I decided to replace the spark plugs. As I was replacing the spark plugs, I noticed there was oil in cylinder 1. Knowing that I had oil where my spark plugs were located, I decided to change the valve cover gasket, the spark plug gaskets, and the battery (because it sat whole winter and it no longer works). Once I had replaced all those, BOOM my car actually started to run and idle. However, the idle is really rough and it almost seems like it wants to stall. At first, the engine slowly climbs the RPM until it reaches like 1k-1.5k RPM. Engine shakes a lot and it kinda spooks me. When I rev the engine while it stays on parked sounds fine and doesnt shake as much. Once the RPM's drop, however, it drops to less than 1k almost to 0 and almost seems like it wants to stall, but doesnt and slowly climbs back up again. I have attempted cleaning the throttle body, without removing it from the vehicle because im not a mechanic and im not too sure of whats going on, but with research and patience I was able to do the repairs/changes to my vehicle myself.

If anyone would be able to provide me with valuable input with what the problem may be or of things that maybe i should check before doing more work to the car, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rough Idle and Almost Stalls

Check for a breached head gasket as it is very common in these engines.
Old 07-16-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helixlail is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rough Idle and Almost Stalls

Any more check engine codes? Does the idle fluctuate (goes up and down) have the alternator load tested at autozone for free. Make sure your spark plugs are torqued properly and you do it while the engine is cold. Use a multimeter and check for resistance in each if your coils packs . That said get some redline si and clean the injectors Chevron techron is a good alternative and my 01 civic ex loves when I use it. Other than that alternator go to the junk yard and get an eld sensor (electronic load detector) sensor and give that a shot. You can use the multi meter to check it if you know how (youtube) worse case you could have a belt coming loose (alternator or timing belt) you can also check for fuel pressure at a mechanic shop or buy the rig yourself and do it. Hope this all helps BCL