Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Car rpm dont go up more than 3k!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Car rpm dont go up more than 3k!!

Originally Posted by azi90
bump !! anyone ?
Anyone what?

It's a civic. It doesn't accelerate that fast unless you mash the pedal and even then that's what most cars do with the pedal halfway down. It just doesn't have a lot of power and was never meant too. It's an economy car, not a race car.
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
azi90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Anyone what?

It's a civic. It doesn't accelerate that fast unless you mash the pedal and even then that's what most cars do with the pedal halfway down. It just doesn't have a lot of power and was never meant too. It's an economy car, not a race car.
Its an SI .. and im not expecting a ferrari performance but i was actually comparing it to my dads corolla 2002 .. thats alll .. my dads car can pick up speed without mashing the pedal so mines actually have more hp than his why cant mine ? im trying to jus come up to a solution thats all
Old 02-17-2013

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

You can't compare it to your dad's corolla. It doesn't matter if it's not the same horsepower, it's not a Honda civic. You have to compare it to another SI civic in your case.

I have 2002 EX. I bought it brand new. It accelerates just as good as it did when I bought it brand new.

You're limited on what you can do with it unless you want to spend an obscene amount of money turboing it and tuning it. A short ram and mandrel bent exhaust are nice, but do little for actual whp.

A short ram is the best thing IMO because it makes the car that much easier to work on. No need to mess with removing the resonator box and air box.
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

You can't compare it to your dad's corolla. It doesn't matter if it's not the same horsepower, it's not a Honda civic. You have to compare it to another SI civic in your case.

I have 2002 EX. I bought it brand new. It accelerates just as good as it did when I bought it brand new.

You're limited on what you can do with it unless you want to spend an obscene amount of money turboing it and tuning it. A short ram and mandrel bent exhaust are nice, but do little for actual whp.

A short ram is the best thing IMO because it makes the car that much easier to work on. No need to mess with removing the resonator box and air box.
exactly if your car is civic and accelerates fine mine shuld be too .. and thats exactlly what i wanna know why it doesnt
Old 02-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

lol yah i know but its si/ american ex and cmon my dads 02 corolla can pick the speed too till 160 if i push the accelerator normally .. thats what i tried doing and it didnt go up from 140 but when i slammed it on 90kmh my car went uptill 160 with 6k rpms and i haad to stop there because iknow my car was gonnna go further
bump !! anyone ?
Buy the Corolla.
Old 02-17-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Its an SI ..
Irrelevant. It has the 1.7 engine.

An American Si would have a 2.0 K engine, and would run circles around your 1.7.
Old 02-17-2013

exactly if your car is civic and accelerates fine mine shuld be too .. and thats exactlly what i wanna know why it doesnt
My point was it accelerates slow compared to A LOT of cars with the pedal mashed to the floor. It's by design. It's 4 banger, 1.7 liter engine as ezone pointed out above. It's not meant to move fast just save gas.
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Buy the Corolla.
i honestly would if i could now .. deal has been done
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

My point was it accelerates slow compared to A LOT of cars with the pedal mashed to the floor. It's by design. It's 4 banger, 1.7 liter engine as ezone pointed out above. It's not meant to move fast just save gas.
okay i guess point is amercian ex/canadian Si's are still slow .. unless its an Sir ?
Old 02-17-2013

okay i guess point is amercian ex/canadian Si's are still slow .. unless its an Sir ?
They aren't slow. A moped would be slow.

Your car will go fast, you even said it went SO FAST you had to back off the gas here:
but when i slammed it on 90kmh my car went uptill 160 with 6k rpms and i haad to stop there because iknow my car was gonnna go further

They will keep up with traffic just fine, and they will net you a speeding ticket.

Methinks you aren't a driver.
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
They aren't slow. A moped would be slow.

Your car will go fast, you even said it went SO FAST you had to back off the gas here:

They will keep up with traffic just fine, and they will net you a speeding ticket.

Methinks you aren't a driver.
Lol u got a good sense of humour but anyways thanks for information guys
Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

fixitmr is an unknown quantity at this point

New here ... Been looking at your question ... about speed and RPMs ..

Sounds to me like you have a speed limiter on the car ...
Is the car new to you from the dealer or did you buy it USED from someone ...
is it auto trans ... if so once you reach a speed the revs stay there or go down some ... so if the design of the car is set that at 120k the RPM should be 3K the that's what is will be ... nothing more nothing less ...

NOW if your in top gear and you need more speed you gotta hit the gas to make the transmission shift down one gear then it will shift back up when you let off the gas and the revs will go back to normal ...

form what I can see ... do you really have a problem ???? or is it just in your head because your dads car runs different ?????
Old 02-27-2013
Registered!!

Location: 122 Norman Drive, West Columbia South Carolina 29170
rogarchie is an unknown quantity at this point

it might be the actual computer chip in the car (ECU). A while back i had the same problem in my 01 civic and i couldn't get the damn thing to go past 3500 rpm. like the people said in the forum, the civic isn't a race car, but if your getting on the highway, you need more than 3500 rpm in the civic. but anyway, i took it to a guy that my families knows, and he said that the ECU was literally cracked and was causing problems with the entire car. i got it replace, and the car ran better than it did before i bought the thing. hope this helped