Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

'04 Civic EGR Port Clean Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MikeyV is an unknown quantity at this point
'04 Civic EGR Port Clean Out

Posted earlier today in the wrong forum. Sorry.

I have a 401 code along with others, and a new EGR installed. I'm guessing my ports are clogged. I can do the plug removal and cleanout and was going to replace the plugs with hardware of some kind after tapping the holes. My problem is that I'm not sure where the plugs are and don't want to pull off more stuff than necessary. I'm mechanical minded but not really car smart. I don't know acronyms and parts. I need a pic that says remove "this" and I can do it. Any links out there for a DIYer to get to the ports?
Old 06-28-2010
Registered!!

Philnut78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: '04 Civic EGR Port Clean Out

Been there done that!! And yet the MIL still comes back on.....

My '04 Civic VP. The original engine that was in the car seized up while under wanrranty. My honda dealer replaced the engine with a remaned engine got the car back drove to the house the MIL pops on. I take the car back the next day they told me DTC P0401 so they replaced EGR and gasket with a new parts gave it back to me not even a month later the MIL pops back on. I check the code its DTC P0401 so i take it back again different Service Advisor this time. They again tell me DTC P0401and replace the EGR and gasket with new parts. I get the car back and a few days later the MIL comes on again and its the same DTC P0401 & DTC P0404 (EGR Valve Insufficient Lift) so by now im sick of the dealer going through the motions and not fixing the problem. So I have a friend that was a Honda Tech so I take my car to him and we diagnose that its not a bad EGR by applying current voltage to it while car is on but not running. We also test all the wiring going to and from the EGR for a short and also to verify the correct voltage is where it should be. And it was so we remove the EGR valve and inspect the passage and intake manifold for blockage nothing. So back to the dealer it goes 2 weeks later the dealer tells me that the intake manifold and water passage and all gaskets and o-rings need to be replaced But that its not coved under the warranty due to the carbon buildup and itll be $1150.00.
So I tell them im not paying that im picking my car up tommorrow have it ready!! So now 13 months later and my reg is due and its mandatory smog in California every other year. So now Im screwed took it to honda dealer again and they charge me half price just $70.00 to clear the code i asked if they test drove it he said yes i asked did u get on the freeway he says no. I tell him test drive on the freeway he declines. So off i go to pick to pick it up and get on the freeway just to have the MIL come back on so i go back to the dealer they check and recommend replacing the EGR valve i tell them im not paying $370.00 for the same fix that didnt work the first 2 times. So what i really need is the wiring diagrams from Mitchell On Demand for my car. My friend got a copy of AllData wiring diagrams for my car but he says they are not thorough enough. Hes positve it is another cause for the MIL and suspects another sensor or system is just passing the code to the EGR. This was after we had cleaned out the intake manifold thoroughly. I think it is the ECU does not like the reman engine for some reason. Can anyone help.

THNX
Old 06-28-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well what ecu did you use with the new engine? cause some engines do not have an egr valve and some do. 01-05 engines have small differences. did your previous engine have an egr valve? and did you use your ecu or a different one on the new motor? ecu are very specific for different year engines. things like auto/manual, egr, o2 sensors, etc are all different depending on the engine.
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

jjjmcconnell is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a video on youtube.com
Old 05-13-2011
Registered!!

Philnut78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok UPDATE

Took off intake manifold to thoroughly clean out egr passage and find out the dealer had put on the wrong intake gasket. There were no holes for the EGR passages. The gasket i bought to replace it has a hole for each cylinder and a bigger hole to feed the passages. So we replaced gasket and thought that would fix it but im still getting P0404 (egr insufficient lift). tested the egr and it works. need 04 civic wiring diagram. The ECU is original to the car the dealer replaced the engine with a remanned engine. I think they used all of my original parts from my engine so all the sensors should be the same as when i bought it .
Old 05-13-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did they swap in an engine that had egr? and was it an 04-05 civic engine? there are some diffferences and you cannot mix old and new engines and ecus. i very much doubt they took the time to swap all your sensors, unless for some reason the engine they found didnt have any sensors, which would be shady to begin with, even if it was used. and i bet they installed that closed gasket on purpose like a block off plate.