Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

o2 sensor replacement

Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crusher is an unknown quantity at this point
o2 sensor replacement

Hi all 1st post here...

I have tried to use the search function and got some answers but not everything I was looking for.

My engine light just came on yesterday and it has been put down to a new o2 sensor. This is my 1st Honda and I was not ready for the cost of replacing it... My local shop wants to charge me approx $480 CND for parts and labour...

I have a 2005 DX/SE.

My question is what is really involved in replacing the o2 sensor?

Going by the diagram here it doesn't look that difficult to get to.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...C+VTEC+LEAN%29

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the site.
Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all
Re: o2 sensor replacement

ah yes. the beloved 'first dealership quote'. be prepared for many of those to come.

anyway its extremely simple to change. you will laugh at what they want to charge when its all done. you can either purchase one from the dealership which will be a bit more expensive, you can go to a wrecker and see if you can get one there, or you can buy one online (like i would).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oxyge...Q5fAccessories

it isnt very hard to get at. if you lean into your engine bay and look down you should be able to see it. that particular one would be easier to get at from underneath the car. just be sure thats your problem though, you dont want to go out buying parts or doing work if that isnt your problem.
Old 08-04-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by unTuned
ah yes. the beloved 'first dealership quote'. be prepared for many of those to come.

anyway its extremely simple to change. you will laugh at what they want to charge when its all done. you can either purchase one from the dealership which will be a bit more expensive, you can go to a wrecker and see if you can get one there, or you can buy one online (like i would).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oxyge...Q5fAccessories

it isnt very hard to get at. if you lean into your engine bay and look down you should be able to see it. that particular one would be easier to get at from underneath the car. just be sure thats your problem though, you dont want to go out buying parts or doing work if that isnt your problem.
Thanks very much...
Old 08-04-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

BE AWARE!!!

I have heard bad things about aftermarket O2 sensors. I don't have any personal experience with aftermarkets but from other posters I hear they only last 6 months. From the other post it also sounds like it can cause some damage.

( Again, I can't vouch for this, just from others experience )
Old 08-05-2009
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

i completely agree. i am very careful especially when it comes to anything mechanical. in this case, the one on ebay is a denso sensor which should be the same as the stock one. i dont see how it would be a big risk in this case. if it was some knockoff or no name, i would go get one from the dealership.
Old 08-05-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by unTuned
i completely agree. i am very careful especially when it comes to anything mechanical. in this case, the one on ebay is a denso sensor which should be the same as the stock one. i dont see how it would be a big risk in this case. if it was some knockoff or no name, i would go get one from the dealership.
I have sent an email to the ebay store to ensure they have the proper sensors for a 2005 DX/SE civic.

The prices are just scaring me a little... how come such a differance between the Denso and the Honda units?
Old 08-05-2009
Registered!!

i dont think its that big of a deal. anything with the name 'honda' on it is like that. if you look closely at your car, theres a bunch of **** in your engine bay that are denso. honda uses denso right from the factory as well, so youre safe. if it wasnt honda or denso i wouldnt suggest getting it. but i would still make sure and email them asking if anyone else who has purchased it has had any problems.
Old 08-05-2009
Registered!!

Cool thanks!!

Just waiting on the parts supplier to get back to me with the part #'s needed.

Thanks all!!
Old 08-05-2009
Registered!!

np.

and where is everett?
Old 08-05-2009
Registered!!

About an hour north of Toronto. In the sticks
Old 08-06-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, I work in Hamilton. It's about an hour and a half away from you.
Old 08-06-2009
Registered!!

2k5reverb will become famous soon enough

hey man i was having the same problem with my civic about 6 moths ago. I took it to honda and all i needed was my ecu to be updated. Tell honda to look at service bulletin 07-019. That might fix it.
Old 08-09-2009
Registered!!

2k5reverb, did it cost anything? or did they do it under warranty? i would try doing that too before replacing a sensor.
Old 08-09-2009
Registered!!

No i never paid anything it was under warranty. I just phoned honda and told them the issue and told them about the service bulletin. It took about 15 to 20 min for them to fix it. If you want a copy of the service bulletin just let me know.
Old 09-03-2009
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2k5reverb
No i never paid anything it was under warranty. I just phoned honda and told them the issue and told them about the service bulletin. It took about 15 to 20 min for them to fix it. If you want a copy of the service bulletin just let me know.
can i get a copy of tsb please, thanks
Old 09-04-2009
Registered!!

anderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2k5reverb

can i get a copy of tsb please, thanks
Old 09-04-2009
Registered!!

Here is a copy of that service bulletin
sorry it is a pdf i couldnt figure out how to post it as a picture.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
honda bulletin.pdf (100.0 KB, 3347 views)
Old 09-11-2009
Registered!!

madAd is an unknown quantity at this point

Bosch also makes good sensors. They are the OEM type, you'll want to make sure that it has the OEM connector on it. I got mine for $50 @ Autozone , but I don't know what you guys have for parts stores in Canada.
Old 09-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the oem NTK sensors are the same as bosch (rebranded NTK).
Old 09-12-2009
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

Its pretty simple. Buy sensor. Unclip from harness. Unbolt from flange (10mm??) remove sensor and old gasket. Replace using reverse order.
Old 09-12-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

an 02 sensor socket with cutout for the wiring helps too