Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

check engine light threw a weird code

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wontonamo is an unknown quantity at this point
check engine light threw a weird code

i put my car on MODIS and ran it through to see what was wrong. it turns out that my vtec isnt working. mind you i have a d17a1 non-vtec. what could be the problem? my ecu is also in LIMP mode. has this ever happened to any of you and how did you handle it? i need help here guys. thanks in advance!

Last edited by wontonamo; 04-16-2007 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelled had rather than has
Old 04-16-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough
Re: check engine light threw a weird code

whats LIMP mode?
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

its like a rev limiter that won't let me shift past 3k and it boggs really bad. my ecu is basically fried. i just want to know if anyone has experienced this.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

how do you get a vtec error code from a non-vtec ECU?

i don't know what to tell ya brother...
Old 04-16-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

lol what the hell???
Old 04-16-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

umm, that's not supposed to happen. good luck.
Old 04-17-2007
Registered!!

yeah thats what i said. i got a non-vtec motor throwing vtec error codes. it might be the ecu itself. anyone have a DX ecu for sale?
Old 04-17-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe its a glitch just reset and see if it comes back.
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

how do i reset it?
Old 04-18-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Reset with an OBD II scanner or disconnect your battery for 15 minutes.
Old 04-18-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

Doesnt the DX have Vtec?
Old 04-18-2007

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
Doesnt the DX have Vtec?
Nope, DX and LX are non-vtec, EX has vtec, and HX has some kinda retarded vtec.
Old 04-18-2007

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

lol you contradict your self there...^

It does have vtec,

But it’s different the EX vtec. All I know is that much.

That’s why he is throwing a vtec related code...

he has vtec in the DX engine
Old 04-18-2007

nope. it's weird 'cause he's throwing a vtec code with a non-vtec engine. i drive a dx, and i can vouche for it's lack of vtec. how did i contradict myself??
Old 04-18-2007

Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
Nope, DX and LX are non-vtec, EX has vtec, and HX has some kinda retarded vtec.
I don’t want to argue but you said it doesnt have vtec and that is does have some kind of "retarded vtec"... Vtec is vtec just like an apple is an apple and an orange is an orange

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 04-18-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2007

not trying to argue, it's just a healty debate. the ex has vtec designed to help performance a little. the hx, which i consider a different trim level of civic than the dx, has vtec tuned to increase fuel efficiency. the dx, and hx don't have the same engine, therefore, i would consider them different levels.
Old 04-18-2007

someone correct me if i'm wrong, please.
Old 04-20-2007
Registered!!

hx has vtec-e. dx and lx has the unwanted and slow d17a1. it is non vtec. look it up anywhere and you'll see that the dx has no vtec. and if you don't believe ambulancemonkey, drive and dx and see for yourself. the valves wont lift for vtec. on a different note, im gonna try to reset it by disconnecting my battery. if that doesn't work ill take it back to the shop.
Old 04-20-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice

you can get a scan tool for around $40 at autozone, it will read codes and clear them. To reset it manually, either disconnect your battery or pull the ecu fuse for a few seconds. You don't have to wait 15 mins.

Where did you buy your car? How long have you had the car and this problem? It could just be a glitch or maybe you read the code wrong?

Tell me what code its throwing and I will look it up for you. If indeed that is what its saying, the only possible thing I could see is that the person who owned the car before swapped in a d17a2 ecu onto a D17a1 motor or the originally had a d17a2, blew it and swapped in a d17a1 thus keeping the original ECU.
Old 04-20-2007
Registered!!

i bought the car from an independent seller. it was wrecked once before and the problem has been there since i have had it. i put it on the Snap-On MODIS system. i don't think i read it wrong i had my instructor help me. ill try what you said. thanks
Old 04-20-2007
umm....yeah?

X0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really niceX0DuZz is just really nice

lol u dun needa buy the thing at auto zone just go up there and tell them to look exactly what codes they are and have them write it down on a piece of paper
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

i reset the ecu and it is still throwing the same code. could it be the ecu? i wtb a LX or DX ecu. anyone know where i can get a new one or does anyone have one laying around?
Old 04-23-2007

just check the FS threads here, and other honda forums. people sell them occasionally. you could also try junkyards, etc.
Old 04-23-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

ya, just look around, or even ebay it.

Have you checked under the hood to see if your engine mysteriously changed into a K20?
Old 04-25-2007
Registered!!

a mysterious k20 swap wouls be nice, but thats like turning a turtle into a rabbit. i tried junk yards, but there are no manual civic dx or lx there. there were 5spd civics but they were ex. i also thought since my ecu was set in limp mode because of the accident, those cars would be in the same if not worse condition. i checked this forum and houston-imports, but i found nothing for my dx.
Old 04-25-2007

what accident??
Old 04-25-2007
Registered!!

i bought the car wreck. i came to the conclusion that during that accident, the car's ecu set itself on limp mode.
Old 04-25-2007

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/civic...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...spagenameZWD1V
Old 04-27-2007
Registered!!

thanks. i just ordered the one on the second link. hopefully this car will start running normally
Old 04-27-2007

no problem. good luck.