Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

ELD and ECT sensors: OEM or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patrologia is an unknown quantity at this point
ELD and ECT sensors: OEM or aftermarket

This question is twofold. I have codes indicating that I need to replace the ELD and the ECT sensor (P0118, P1298, P0128).
The first question is whether I should really go OEM Honda on this, or if some cheaper aftermarket part is fine.
Second is about the way in which they will interact. I'm inclined to just replace the ELD and not the ECT yet since I don't feel like burping the coolant. The codes are intermittent, so I'm hoping maybe the ECT isn't bad just getting bad signals or something. If the ECT is in fact bad, will it screw up the new ELD? Basically, do I really have to do it all at once.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: ELD and ECT sensors: OEM or aftermarket

Oem, pull some at a junkyard if you dont want to pay for new oem
Old 04-13-2023
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

What symptoms does it have that correlates with a faulty ELD symptoms?

Burping the coolant of air doesn't cost anything and should be done first before paying for parts. After burping it disconnect the battery ground terminal and turn your headlights on to drain residual voltage. This will also clear the CEL codes. Reconnect ground cable to battery, no electronics on (headlights, radio, interior lights), start engine and let it idle for 10-15 minutes to "idle relearn".

Afterwards use your OBD2 reader to see if those two codes return.
Old 04-13-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patrologia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wankenstein
What symptoms does it have that correlates with a faulty ELD symptoms?

Burping the coolant of air doesn't cost anything and should be done first before paying for parts. After burping it disconnect the battery ground terminal and turn your headlights on to drain residual voltage. This will also clear the CEL codes. Reconnect ground cable to battery, no electronics on (headlights, radio, interior lights), start engine and let it idle for 10-15 minutes to "idle relearn".

Afterwards use your OBD2 reader to see if those two codes return.
Thanks for the advice.
No symptoms that I'm aware of other than the CEL and associated codes. That's why I'm actually starting by cleaning up a few of the ground connections and hoping that my only actual problem is a bad ground somewhere. What kinds of symptoms would you expect if the ELD was actually bad? I haven't been tracking my mileage, so don't know whether that has fallen off or not. The CEL is on for a while, goes off for a while. It doesn't seem pressing, but I'm investigating because it will have to be clear eventually--I have to pass emissions here.
The coolant is fine right now, so there's not need to burp it yet. I'd just have to do that if I open up the system to replace the ECT.
Old 04-13-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

car-part.com for nearby scrapyards
Old 04-13-2023
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

ELD symptoms:
​​​https://cararac.com/blog/honda-eld-s...solutions.html
and http://m.gonzostoolbox.com/?url=http...ld%2Ehtml#2707

ECT might be a faulty reading due to air bubbles in coolant system. Don't even need jack stands to bleed air. Park up a fairly steep incline with radiator neck/cap higher than the cylinder head and bleed per service manual.

Bleed kit funnels help to avoid a mess and make it easier to watch bubble size eventually diminish throughout bleeding of air.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 04-14-2023 at 12:36 AM.