Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

2001 Civic EX battery fuse [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022
Registered!!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
BrendonSC is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2001 Civic EX battery fuse [solved]

Hello everyone,

First post on the forum. This week I picked up a 2001 Civic EX sedan. Got it for cheap because it needs a lot of love. I'm a decent mechanic so my plans are to get this thing into shape and road-worthy. While investigating the door lock fuse last night (still haven't gotten those working at all), I took a photo of the engine bay fuse box because something looked off. After googling today, I realized that what I thought looked off was the area where the 80amp battery fuse goes. Seems the prior owner decided to bridge it. Maybe they kept blowing fuses? Maybe they couldn't get another fuse after it blew? Car seems to start right up with no charging issues from the alternator, but I haven't gotten a new fuse for it yet. (Not driving it for a bit anyway as I'm fixing it up) My main question before I dig into this is, why would someone bridge that? What would it help other than keeping fuses from blowing? Seems dangerous to bridge it like that and I'd like to get it corrected the right way. Just curious what I might be in for our should troubleshoot prior to slapping a new fuse on it. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,320 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
re: 2001 Civic EX battery fuse [solved]

I suspect it blew and they didn't have one to replace it, possibly jumper cables were hooked up backwards. Cars aren't the only place people do that.

The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022
Registered!!

Oof...I've seen bolts used before as well. Cool. I'll get a new fuse and see how it goes. Appreciate it!
Old 07-14-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

safety glasses in case they spark
Old 07-16-2022
Registered!!

Got a fuse while at the junk yard today. Installed and no sparky-sparky. Yay!
The following 2 users liked this post by BrendonSC:
Colin42 (07-16-2022), sdaidoji (07-16-2022)