Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

03 civic dx sport question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justinp is an unknown quantity at this point
03 civic dx sport question

Hello I'm new to this site so not sure how to see the replays but I have a question my 03 civic the dome light dose not work when the door opens and the car is off it gos on when the car is on and also my speed and rpm lights work when the headlights are off when the car is on and I turn the headlights on the go out and the gas matter light stays on but niddles dont light up I had a aftermarket stereo in took it out to put a new one in and cant get power to it ether ?? Can someone help me ??

When headlights are off

When headlights are on
Old 04-01-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 03 civic dx sport question

03 is a 7th gen.
Moving to correct forums
removed email as per forum rules (most come back later begging us to remove their personal email address that ends up around the net)
Old 04-01-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Bad things happen to dash lights when aftermarket radios are connected to the factory illumination wire
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

How can I fix it I got a new harness for the wires that run to the dash lights color to color all look good the fuse is good I put them pics that's how it is run with headlights on then off the aftermarket stereo was working just fine took it out nice an easy to put another one in and that's what happen my fob for my doors dont work the dome light dosent work unless the car is on help me please thanks
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

What color is the inn wires from the harness
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty sure you can get around this by not plugging in the illumination wire in the harness from the aftermarket radio.
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

I have tryed everything I dont have that wire hooked up and it still not working all the wires seem ok I have no power to the stereo when the car turns on nothing and then turn my headlights on at night time dash lights go off the gas mater light is fine it's the speed an the rpms
Old 04-02-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

the board in the gauges may be damaged
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

How would I fix that what would I need an also dose it make since cause if they where damaged why would they work when headlights are out then headlights turned on they go out
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

Thats the harnesses that was damaged i replaced it and wired it my self everything matches
Old 04-02-2019
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Are both lines from the car, dealing with the headlights disconnected ??

1 is +12V when the headlight are on. The second is a controllable grounding line for the dimmer level.

Make sure BOTH are isolated & insulated and test again.
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

Yes I'm 98 % sure yes they are no power for the stereo an no dash lights once headlights turned on dm me I can show you pics step by step that I did
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

I need it fixed cause at night can not see my speed or rpms when the headlights are on
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

Thats that back where i dash speed and everything is behind the gauges could that burn spot be whats making everything not work an it smells burned as well ? If so then why dose some of it work
Old 04-02-2019

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

That top wide trace looks like it's open.

It can be fixed with a jumper wire or solder wick if you have it. Solder it over the open trace.

That damage is from improper lighting connections made to stereo.
Old 04-02-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Justinp
Thats that back where i dash speed and everything is behind the gauges could that burn spot be whats making everything not work an it smells burned as well ? If so then why dose some of it work
yeah that's clearly damaged, there may be other damaged areas as well
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

What is a jumper wire ? Any wire I can use and solder it and so that's most likely what the problem is right I fix it everything should work ? And I'm pretty sure that's the only damaged thing on the back of that
Old 04-02-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Dash cluster has a dimmer circuit that it switches too when the headlights are on.

Clearly that circuit is damaged, that’s why it’s changing state when you turn the lights on and off.

Is it repairable, yes, is it replaceable , yes, can you mount a led to shine on the instruments at night, yes.

You have made good progress, just decide if you want to eBay/Junkyard dive one or attempt to fix what you have.
Old 04-03-2019

Originally Posted by Justinp
What is a jumper wire ? Any wire I can use and solder it and so that's most likely what the problem is right I fix it everything should work ? And I'm pretty sure that's the only damaged thing on the back of that
You need a wire across open, something that solder will bond with.... and be easy, and quick with the solder iron.

Do you have a Radio Shack left nearby ( grab some resistors, and cut off the lead to use as patch)

Last edited by CraigW; 04-03-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2019
Registered!!

Ok will do but is that what is making the stereo have no power ?? Cause this is where the main problem started trying to replace stereo.. and one more my fob dosent work for my locks any more to lock the car with fob is that making that problem too all from that open piece there on the cluster
Old 04-03-2019

Does your dome light work ?? Map lights work ??
Old 04-03-2019
Registered!!

Dome light works only when the car is turned on dosent work when the car is off and map light ?? What's that one ?
Old 04-03-2019
Registered!!

Yes the maps lights an dom light works only when car is turned on
Old 04-03-2019
Registered!!

Map lights turn on with car off or on dom light only when car is on cause all these problems be from that one damaged area?? As in pics above
Old 04-04-2019

Try to locate the fuse named "Back Up" it powers items that require constant power, with everything else off. (not near the manual at moment)

Not likely related to open trace.....
Old 04-04-2019
Registered!!

Do you have any idea where that fuse would be ?
Old 04-04-2019

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Y8ZptZ3c07_w8t

Under hood box.
Old 06-05-2019
Registered!!

Hello so now I have another problem last one was fixed thanks for the help. Now this one the car would top out at 120 I fixed the cam sensor was driving the other day and the car died still have power I get a crank but wont start the gas is good the throttle body is good not stuck the spark plugs and coils I changed cant get it to start till now someone told me the ecu or the crank sensor any ideas
Old 06-05-2019

so you replaced a sensor? was it an oem honda part?
Old 06-05-2019
Registered!!

Yes I replaced the cam sensor a while ago then it was runing fine an then the other day was driving went to push the gas an nothing no rpm moved tryed again then the car just shut off an wint start again

Quick Reply: 03 civic dx sport question