Electrical Post your Electrical issues here!

Running wire for rear dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robsleeps is an unknown quantity at this point
Running wire for rear dashcam

I'm looking for the best way to run a camera wire from inside the trunk to the outside of the lid on my 2017 civic sedan without drilling. I have the factory backup camera and it looks like a big enough gap between its mounting bracket for the wire to fit but I don't know how to remove that camera temporarily to run the wire. Is there am easier way? I want the camera just above the back license plate.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-19-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Running wire for rear dashcam

I'd say take off that rear trunk trim piece (the big ol' section that has the Honda emblem top/center). That should give you enough access (at least in my head it does). I haven't seen what it looks like on the sedan, but on the hatch, it requires removal of a bunch of plastic on the liftgate. I'd imagine it'd be easier to pull back the carpet liner on the sedan trunk lid than it is to remove the crap ton of plastic panels on the hatch. You can also access a bunch of stuff in the trunk lid by pulling that carpet liner back
Old 05-19-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I'd say take off that rear trunk trim piece (the big ol' section that has the Honda emblem top/center). That should give you enough access (at least in my head it does). I haven't seen what it looks like on the sedan, but on the hatch, it requires removal of a bunch of plastic on the liftgate. I'd imagine it'd be easier to pull back the carpet liner on the sedan trunk lid than it is to remove the crap ton of plastic panels on the hatch. You can also access a bunch of stuff in the trunk lid by pulling that carpet liner back

I looked at that but I wasn't sure if it actually came off. I took the carpet off the inside of the lid and did see some white clips and a grey one I assume holds the camera in place.

Thank you.
Old 05-19-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

There are a handful of clips and I think a screw or two. I know on my hatch I can pop some of the outboard clips out by pulling, but there's definitely a screw or two holding down the center
Old 05-22-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
There are a handful of clips and I think a screw or two. I know on my hatch I can pop some of the outboard clips out by pulling, but there's definitely a screw or two holding down the center
I imagine the screw would be behind the Honda emblem? I'll have to look again next chance I get. I ended up returning the digital rearview because it didn't work like I hoped it would but I may get a better one.