Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

what do you use to clean your windshield/windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AznSaint is an unknown quantity at this point
what do you use to clean your windshield/windows

i cant find anything that i can use that would actually leave a streak free window.....
tried paper tower and windex.... mr.clean's magic eraser... and a few other products... none that can leave a streak free window...

or maybe i just dont know how to clean windows...
Old 12-01-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
no, i use cheap cleaner with no ammonia, im sure water would work too for just dirt. you need some microfiber cloths and also wipe all the water off before it dries on the window.
Old 12-01-2006
RHCP0801 is my hero

1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute
newspaper
Old 12-01-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Windex and paper towels work fine for me. I keep doing the window until he paper towel is still white after a wipe. But it's always streak free at the end.
Old 12-01-2006
Registered!!

NORCAL CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
exactly wat gearbox said ammonia free glass cleaner with microfiber cloths i kno used to detail cars and thats wat worked 4 me!!!
Old 12-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
Windex and paper towels work fine for me. I keep doing the window until he paper towel is still white after a wipe. But it's always streak free at the end.

just curious... might sound like a stupid question.... but do you spray the windex on the paper towel and then wipe the windshieds or do you spay the windshields and then wipe it w/the paper towel?
Old 12-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
no, i use cheap cleaner with no ammonia, im sure water would work too for just dirt. you need some microfiber cloths and also wipe all the water off before it dries on the window.
i give that a shot this weekend...
Old 12-02-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
ya newspaper is this shizz
Old 12-02-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AznSaint
just curious... might sound like a stupid question.... but do you spray the windex on the paper towel and then wipe the windshieds or do you spay the windshields and then wipe it w/the paper towel?
I get better results spraying right onto the window. I use white towels i've "borrowed" from hospitals at work. They've been washed often enough, they don't generally leave lint. I've found the most important step to make sure it doesn't streak is making sure your windows are warm, around 60F or more. For cleaner I use cheap, non-ammonial aerosol spray.
Old 12-03-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
but if your windshield is actually dirty, you should use a glass stripper and then a coat of rain-x. will make it much easier to clean because the dirt isnt stuck to the actual glass molecules.
Old 12-03-2006

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I was talking about the inside of the windows, are you??
Old 12-03-2006
Premium Member

oh inside? i use water cause of tint windows. and on the front windshield i use anti fog wipes from rain-x
Old 12-03-2006

i tried the rainx antifog stuff on the inside, the stuff in the black bottle. damned thing fogged worse with it, and it took me forever to get it off. if i had known about glass stripper then, probably would have been easier.

i don't have any problems using glass cleaner on my tint, 'cause i get the ammonia free stuff in the can.
Old 12-03-2006
Premium Member

use the anti fog wipes, they are easy to use and it wipes off with a cloth like regular window cleaner. it works, but with the weird weather here it actually starts to fog on the outside of the window instead lol. but at least i dont need defroster for a while.
Old 12-03-2006

i get that too, because defrost runs the a/c and ifs it's not warmer than the outside air, it cools down my windshield and makes that fog on the outside. i
Old 12-03-2006
Registered!!

oh inside? i use water cause of tint windows. and on the front windshield i use anti fog wipes from rain-x
you shouldnt use any cleaning products on tinted windows?
fog wips on the inside, correct?
thanks
Old 12-03-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
i tried the rainx antifog stuff on the inside, the stuff in the black bottle. damned thing fogged worse with it, and it took me forever to get it off. if i had known about glass stripper then, probably would have been easier.

i don't have any problems using glass cleaner on my tint, 'cause i get the ammonia free stuff in the can.
nm, ambulance just answered my question about tinted.
guess i should read ahead first
Old 12-03-2006
Registered!!

i get that too, because defrost runs the a/c and ifs it's not warmer than the outside air, it cools down my windshield and makes that fog on the outside. i
you can run the front defrost without running the a/c.

...out of curiousity, why did honda set the front defrost that the a/c is turned on??
Old 12-03-2006
Premium Member

so it defrosts faster, and the a/c gets some use in the winter. its better for the system to be used once a week for 10 mins at least to circulate the oils. if its too cold, the compressor wont even come on. but we all know the code to turn off ac in defrost so it doesnt matter.
Old 12-03-2006

Almost all cars with a/c are made so it comes on with defrost. A/c helps dry out the air. I, apparently, don't know the code to turn it off. I hate using the defrost setting because the compressor seems to use a lot of my engines power. This isn't really an issue on the highway, but when starting from a stop, i have to remember to give it more gas than I normally would, otherwise, it almost starts to stall when I let out the clutch. Maybe it's just me??
Old 12-03-2006
Premium Member

um yea i dont have enough power as it is, no need for a compressor robbing it prolly 10-15 whp. but depending on how you drive, it will turn off if you press the gas down hard enough. like revving hard to 4k will shut it off and then kick back when you pull off. the code is i think is turning all the dial to the left then holding ac and recirc buttons down, turning car to ON, then wait until recirc light flashes and then ac light starts flashing. you only have to do it once for an individual console piece.
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

Almost all cars with a/c are made so it comes on with defrost. A/c helps dry out the air. I, apparently, don't know the code to turn it off. I hate using the defrost setting because the compressor seems to use a lot of my engines power. This isn't really an issue on the highway, but when starting from a stop, i have to remember to give it more gas than I normally would, otherwise, it almost starts to stall when I let out the clutch. Maybe it's just me??

1) Have the car turned off.

2) Turn the "air condition position" **** to the left all the way (counter-clock-wise).

3) Hold the "air-recirculation button" and the "A/C" button "DOWN". (don't touch the "defrost" button)

4) Start the car with the "BUTTONS" held down, and wait for 7 seconds.

5) All done. You can turn the "A/C" off and on now.
Old 12-04-2006

cool, thanks. does anyone know if it goes back to normal if you disconnect the battery, or is this a permanent thing??
Old 12-04-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
There's a code? I bought my car used and I can turn the defrost on and off fine without the A/C coming on. Maybe the previous owner did it.
Old 12-04-2006
Premium Member

ya once you do it, it will stay stored in the module piece forever. you can reverse it, im not sure exactly but i think you just turn the dials to the right and repeat procedure.
Old 12-05-2006

So I did this, and now when I turn the selector to defrost, the light above the A/C button comes on, and I can then turn it off. This is what's supposed to happen, right??
Old 12-05-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ Yes that is normal. The light will come back on if you change the selectors position and then return it, but it can be turned back off.

I have found if you use the compressor to clear the windshield and then stop using it, then later there seems to be more moisture in the system. Then the fogging up is worse. I just use heat to clear it.

For cleaning the glass I use Windex and paper towels on exterior and 95% isopropyl alcohol to clean the inside (only when needed) I have learned to not use Windex on the inside (at least not much)
Old 12-07-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
^^^ Yes that is normal. The light will come back on if you change the selectors position and then return it, but it can be turned back off.

I have found if you use the compressor to clear the windshield and then stop using it, then later there seems to be more moisture in the system. Then the fogging up is worse. I just use heat to clear it.

For cleaning the glass I use Windex and paper towels on exterior and 95% isopropyl alcohol to clean the inside (only when needed) I have learned to not use Windex on the inside (at least not much)
why not windex on the inside? just no good? b/c i've found windex on the inside to be no good at all....
Old 12-08-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ No matter how much or how little Windex I used on the inside I was getting haze and streaking. Until I started using 95% isopropyl I was using almost dry towels to do the insides.
Old 12-13-2006
Registered!!

Pattycakes is an unknown quantity at this point
but if your windshield is actually dirty, you should use a glass stripper and then a coat of rain-x. will make it much easier to clean because the dirt isnt stuck to the actual glass molecules.
hmmm...
My 97 civ's got a funny windshield, i'd describe it as having a slimy coating on the outside that is only noticeable when it's raining...
Never used this 'glass stripper' stuff before, cus i've never had any glass problems before, think it will work?
I've prob gone through a bottle of rain-x since i bought the car 2 months ago and it's still.... 'slimy'

Quick Reply: what do you use to clean your windshield/windows