Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

Crappy Honda door lock actuators

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
astigmatik is an unknown quantity at this point
Crappy Honda door lock actuators

I know a lot of people are having problems with their door locks dying on them. There is no aftermarket solution so we're stuck buying the parts from Honda. Only problem is that labour charges are brutal at the dealerships and some of us can't spare the time to work on our cars.

I just got my driver's side door lock actuator (OEM) replaced today at Selective Sound in Mississauga. The work was done very quickly and I got a wicked deal. If you guys need to fix your doorlocks, I strongly suggest you call Davis (905 826-8998). SS has a great reputation on TCC forums.

I'm in no way affiliated with this shop, just trying to save you guys a couple of bucks. Now if I could find someone to fix my windshield washer sensor for cheap...
Old 11-05-2006
Registered!!

MrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of light
door lock can be a PITA to fix, Honda uses cheap soft plastic in the most important part of the locking mechanism, ****in cheap basterds!
Old 11-05-2006
Registered!!

OPGForce is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry

Both of mine have been replaced in my coupe!
Old 11-05-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
my lock safety is broken (lock will work now with door open), i have a bad rattle from the door, and i can no longer use the key to lock/unlock the driver side nor can i even push the lock down. but the power lock still works lol.
Old 11-05-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
^^What will you do when your power lock fails?
Old 11-06-2006
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
^ he'll use the passenger side! lol
Old 11-06-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
When I bought this car used, I told the guy I was looking for "a compact japanese car (ie. civic, lancer, impreza, sentra) with a manual transmission, and manual windows and locks." He looked at me like I was f'ing crazy. He said "why don't you want power anything?" Well, I had so many issues with the power windows, and locks on my last car, I didn't want anything to do with them on this car. Besides, I'm 6'3", so I can reach over and roll down my passenger window while keeping a hand on the wheel and still see where i'm going over the dash. The lack of issues with manual windows and locks still doesn't make up for the lack of V-TEC tho.
Old 09-10-2008
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough
Re: Crappy Honda door lock actuators

Hi Peeps,

The door lock actuators are very easy to fix. Honda dealers don't care for you to know this.

Few people know that the 12v mini motor that powers the actuator is worth about $5 max from places like Sayal Electronics, The Source/Radio Shack or Surplus Hobby Supply stores etc. and if you are mech. inclined you dissasemble the actuator (5 small screws) and replace the motor. Usually the brushes wear out or the motor gets rusty and seizes. Seldom have I seen the plastic worm gear set in need of replacing.
The little motors can be found as Johnson Motor PMDC motors KF243G-101 or the original Mabuchi Motors 12V DC motor.
Once you take out the actuator for the door remove the 5 small screws that hold the assembly together. The 2 wires for the motor usually yellow with red stripe and white with red stripe plug into the motor and can be easily removed with a small flat tip screwdriver. Lift the motor and plastic worm gear assembly out of the casing and pull off the motor.

leave the large round gear and lever arm in place as it is spring loaded and can be a bit of a pain to reassemble if removed from it's centre pin mount.
If it needs to be changed the pin on the leaver arm needs the end to be squeezed a bit and then it can be pulled out to disassemble the arm gear assembly.

The small coupling must be pried off the splined end of the motor and can be pressed on to the shaft of the new motor.

Reassemble the complete actuator and you have just saved your self some spare change.
hope this helps.

Pics are at
Pic1
http://www.box.net/shared/ggzv2nr899
Pic2
http://www.box.net/shared/nhpq22aonm
pic3
http://www.box.net/shared/8i6ysse464
Pic4
http://www.box.net/shared/e7hz02qxxu
Pic5
http://www.box.net/shared/kqqfnilpoq
Pic6
http://www.box.net/shared/nvxt7u8b26
Pic7
http://www.box.net/shared/oydumhtf7t

Just did 98 civic si coup DrLk. actuators and Acura 1.6 El's.
piece of cake.
Most all Honda products the actuators are all quite similar.

Regards and Hi to all.
My first time out here

Last edited by nsxvtec; 09-10-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: 2 pics same
Old 09-13-2008
Registered!!

wschw2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Crappy Honda door lock actuators

yhanks for the info this will help. But Do you know how to ghet at the actuator, there is no room. Would it be the best to take mthe whole lock mechanism out.ould appreciate your reply
Thanks
Old 09-25-2008
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wschw2
yhanks for the info this will help. But Do you know how to ghet at the actuator, there is no room. Would it be the best to take mthe whole lock mechanism out.ould appreciate your reply
Thanks
10 mm boltto remove the window glass guide / rubber assembly( just a long curved channel guide with rubber that the glass runs up and down in and keeps the glass in place.

Wiggle / Slide it down a bit and tilt it out of the way.

Then you can see the and access the 3 small Phillips head screws that hold the actuator to the door lock assembly.
Old 11-02-2008
Registered!!

SlimmKidd is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I have the same problem since my door lock wont go down with the use of power.. button LMK thx
Old 06-06-2014
Registered!!

lilleyen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nsxvtec
Hi Peeps,

snipped
leave the large round gear and lever arm in place as it is spring loaded and can be a bit of a pain to reassemble if removed from it's centre pin mount.
If it needs to be changed the pin on the leaver arm needs the end to be squeezed a bit and then it can be pulled out to disassemble the arm gear assembly.

The small coupling must be pried off the splined end of the motor and can be pressed on to the shaft of the new motor.

snipped

Just did 98 civic si coup DrLk. actuators and Acura 1.6 El's.
piece of cake.
Most all Honda products the actuators are all quite similar.

Regards and Hi to all.
My first time out here
So how exactly do you get the small coupling off the spined end of the shaft.
I can't budge it.
I've tried torching it, hammer through a vise with a small drill bit etc.
Won't move.
Help!