Canada East Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland

ATTN: 1.7EL Owners - Brake Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELaudio is an unknown quantity at this point
ATTN: 1.7EL Owners - Brake Rotor Question

This only applies to 1.7EL owners, since we have the privilege of having rear disc brakes. Here's what's going on. I have 110,000kms on my car and I'm still running with the original rotors. I replaced the pads when I had about 75K on my car and had didn't have the rotors machined. I know I might get flamed for this, but from an engineering perspective I believe that if you're rotors are free of scoring and not pulsing, it's best to let them be.

I'm painting my calipers soon, which will involve removing them from the mounting bolts. I'm tempted to replace the rotors since I'll have the whole system apart. If anyone has ever done their own brake job, do you know what the minimum spec. is for thickness on front and rear rotors? I'm also planning on painting the outside diameter of the rotor hub. Not the overall outside diameter, but that section that lies outboard and is rusted to hell. I want to make sure I still have a good amount of material or else I won't bother.

I know this is usually stamped on the inside of the rotor, but I'm hoping someone out there can tell me so I can jack my car up and do a quick measurement with a micrometer (yup, I have a fancy digital one at work). Thanks in Advance!

EL
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

Well, I gave this some thought today and contacted a buddy of mind with a good conection on getting reasonably priced rotors. I'm going to go ahead and replace all 4 rotors within the next few weeks...

I do have an issue though. Most places don't have the 1.7EL's rear rotors in their catalogues. I have a strong suspicion that our rear rotors are used on another honda appliaction, perhaps the Accord. Let me know if you've ever replaced them and what part/application you got.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Hey ELaudio, if I'm not retarded (and thus sadly mistaken) rear rotors for the 7th gen SiR (except the 04's which are now 5-lug) are likely the same as our cars. I know an SiR driver at work, I'm gonna sidle up to his car tomorrow and verify this.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

EHouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Holy smokes: this is the exact same question i had. I'm looking into changing my rotors on my 2001 EL and came across the same dilemna!

I hope someone out there can help us out.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

MattC1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my frotn adn rear rotors replaced back in november.. The rear rotors are NOT the same as any honda car on the market apparently.. All the part numbers are different.. but the front rotors are the same size as the 99-00 SIR fronts. I had to replace the rears with acura OEM stuff, and KVR cross drilled rotors in the front, that were for the 99-00 SIR.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

EHouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Wait a second: so does that mean there's no hope in replacing out rear rotors with any aftermarket ones? Hence, our front rotors will be cross drilled, slitted and what not, yet our rears will remain same-old same-old??? Oh me oh my... pls tell me it ain't so!
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

MattC1 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea as far as I know the rears will need to stay in stock form.. front does most of the braking anyway.. get the KVR cross drilled for the 99-00 on the fronts
Old 03-18-2004
Registered!!

Not true. I replaced my brake pads last summer. I have a buddy that works at an auto-parts place. We basically went through all the honda ones until we found a match for rears. Turns out they are the same as the ones for the Accord (not sure what year).

As for the front rotors, they are the same as the 2001 Civic Si Coupe. I'm still looking into the rears, but aftermarket ones are available. I'm thinking of getting Rototech Drilled/slotted ones, I can get them for ~$80 each. I'll let you know what I find, but I'm sure Honda used the rear rotors from another car. I'd be surprised, if not shocked, if they made one specifically for the 1.7EL. Since our cars are only made in Canada, the annual production volume is around 10,000 vehicles.

O/T:Funny observation. I replaced my shift **** with a skunk2. I inspected the stock **** and noticed that the stitching near the bottom was slightly coming undone. Peeking underneath, I could see the tell-tale sign of a stock HONDA CIVIC ****. That's right, they just put a stitched leather cover over the 'vic's ****... Moral of the story is - Honda tries to use as many off-the-shelf components for the 1.7EL.
Old 03-18-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I still say the rear rotors are off the latest-gen SiR.
Old 03-19-2004
Registered!!

Telly - I think there's a REALLY good chance that you're right...

Since I bought so much stuff for my car in the last month or so, I'm going to hold off on getting rotors. Maybe later this summer.
Old 03-19-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Dude, you went ABSOLUTELY NUTS....Mike @ Proparts loves you. I as well love you, in that platonic, NON-GAY way. The same way I love nachos and beer.
Old 03-19-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Look at this pic I found elsewhere on this board:

Look at the rotor on the right side pics, with the big hat on it. Looks a lot like ours, don't it? Those pics are off an Si hatch (SiR here)