Mid Atlantic Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia

Who knows how to weld?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Who knows how to weld?

Or knows someone who does? I have a small project I need welded. Requires a TIG. I'll do all the cutting/dirty work, just need someone who can close it up.
Old 04-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to all
I can TIG. rather well, too. i worked in a foundry and TIGged every day for 4 years. I don't have a machine though.
Old 04-19-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
how hard is it to learn to weld? I will teach myself after I get out of college, but I am just wondering.
Old 04-19-2006
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
its not difficult if you have the right equipment and even if you dont. i got a cheapo walmart wire feeder. works good for small projects and exhaust work. I can weld with stick/rod, mig. Never tried tig but I assume its not much more difficult.
Old 04-19-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by diskreet
how hard is it to learn to weld? I will teach myself after I get out of college, but I am just wondering.
Not hard to learn to weld, but dam hard to learn to weld good!

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Or knows someone who does? I have a small project I need welded. Requires a TIG. I'll do all the cutting/dirty work, just need someone who can close it up.
Try finding some roundy-round dirt trackers. Those guys know where all the good job-shops are.

Last edited by pon55; 04-19-2006 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-20-2006
Registered!!

BassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to all
learning how to weld wasn't too hard for me, but I had an amazing teacher in Vo-Tech. Trying to teach yourself will be a challenge, but I'm willing to help, if you want.

I don't advise on getting a cheap (under $400) mig/flux core welder. The amperage output is ungodly low and the duty cycle is probably around 40%(you can weld 4 out of 10 minutes) You will end up getting pissed and breaking it...or spend even more money on a better machine. My one buddy had one and I could barely weld with it. You have to sit there for a loooong time just to get decent penetration.
Old 04-20-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Well I appreciate the offer but all of my money is going into a new LCD TV for when I move out. I have two more years in college after this semester is over. I just can't afford to buy a welder now, as I have no money. And time... wish I had like 10 extra hours in a day to actually relax. Engineering major=no time lol.

If you are still on in 2 years and still willing to help me, I just may take you up on the offer! Thanks.
Old 04-20-2006
Registered!!

I'm not going anywhere.