General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Down Shifting Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
Down Shifting Automatic

the weather is pretty bad here, all snow and s**t, i have a habbit of downshifting into 2 when i wanna stop on a siganal, this is in an automatic, so i pull it from D to 2, This slows down the car quicky and i wont worry about skidding, now is this ok or is it bad for my tranny, i also always launch at 2, to have more traction in the snow.
Old 03-06-2003
Better Then God

dirtEsanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
I do it occasionally. it adds a bit of wear on your tranny but wont kill it. Don't drive so fast in the snow and you wont skid. =P
Old 03-06-2003

liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
i'll throw it between d4 and d3 if i need to slow quickly, but i've never bothered going to d2. then again, i don't have snow. that means i can launch in first with a brake torque up to about 4000. i'm probably killing my car, but i don't care anymore.
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

GanariGuY is an unknown quantity at this point
yea..... with all the miles on my car i dun really car about tranny anymore......
if it lasted till now...... it will last sum more
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
You're supposed to start out in D3, D2, or (manual 2) when there's snow and it's slippery.
That way you don't put too much torque/rotation to the wheels.
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

FroggerDude is an unknown quantity at this point
with all the snow here, i drive in 2 most the time now. helps slow the car down without skidding, better traction when moving from a stop. and usually only go up to 3500 rpm cuz everyone else is driving soo slow.
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

Dr5D is an unknown quantity at this point
when you downshift it its probably OK as long and the car dosent lurch, if it does that its prob bad.
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
ok, this is just my opinion but downshifting/upshifting in an automatic is gay, if youre in snow its something different because you need more traction. but ive ridden with people who have auto's that try to act like race car drives shifting and what not...****ing retarted
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

RegulatorRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: R3DL1N3
ok, this is just my opinion but downshifting/upshifting in an automatic is gay, if youre in snow its something different because you need more traction. but ive ridden with people who have auto's that try to act like race car drives shifting and what not...****ing retarted[hr]
obviously but hes not talkin about that man... only in bad weather
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: R3DL1N3
ok, this is just my opinion but downshifting/upshifting in an automatic is gay, if youre in snow its something different because you need more traction. but ive ridden with people who have auto's that try to act like race car drives shifting and what not...f*****g retarted[hr]
So you're telling me F1 cars with paddle shifters, M3 with the SMG are f*****g retards for racing?
Old 03-06-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I think this is one of those things that isn't really bad per se, but it sure isn't good. Your tranny is auto. Meaning... what you're doing is totally unnecessary. The car will sense your braking and downshift. Hence the name 'auto.' Also, why are you driving fast enough in the snow, or close enough behind another driver that you'd need to do this?
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

SLeePeR012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Some of you guys are gettin way off topic here.
He's asking in bad weather if it's safe or not for his transmission to downshift for a slow down so he does no skid.
He doesnt say anything about racing, he doesnt say anything about freakin race cars...

player, it doesn't hurt the tranny much as long as you don't do it over 30miles an hour, then again you can jus brake sooner or tap it to reduce you speed too.
Old 03-06-2003
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I am stuck driving my moms new envoy for another week and I hate riding the brakes in the POS so I usually downshift down to 3 or so to slow me down a little more. I hate Autos personally thats why my civic is a 5 speed I will work it down to 2nd before I stop got to love saving the brakes plus my dad showed it to me when I was 16 But yeah in bad weather I think its fine also.

Nick