General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Tuner Research

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logan is an unknown quantity at this point
Tuner Research

I have been looking around for a good project car while I've been saving cash and the main thing I'm looking for is something with a good power-to-weight ratio, rwd/awd, and good aftermarket support. Well, just recently, I was doing some comparing and found that the S2000 is rated at 240 horsepower, 153 torque, and weighed 2810 pounds!!!!!!! I thought, man...that's pretty heavy...our cars weigh less than that. But anyways, I was looking at the 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder and it was rated at 138 horsepower, 125 torque, and 2195 pounds. Now...the S2000 engine is only 1995cc (1.995L for those of you who can't think outside of the litre ) and the MR2 Spyder engine is said to be 1.8L, so I'm guessing it's more like 1790cc...fairly similar to our Civics' engine size. Still...we're talking differences as small as 2 tenths of a litre with such a large difference in power output. So, Honda sure tuned that S2000 engine...squeezed almost every ounce you could get out of it without forced induction or making it less dependable. So yes, anyways, the numbers Toyota got from that MR2 Spyder engine are obviously the result of someone wanting a more economical sports car. I haven't really done any research on aftermarket support for the MR2 Spyder, but with such a low starting weight and rear wheel drive...there is a potential there if there is some aftermarket support. I'm not too keen on the looks...it kinda looks more like an older European car in some areas, but I'm more about performance than anything else. Plus, like I said, with good aftermarket support, the appearance can be helped a little. Also, has anyone heard about someone doing an engine swap into the newest MR2 Spyders? Oh yes, note the weight distribution and placement of the engine towards the center of the car.
Old 01-04-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
the new spyders doesn't need a engine swap, they designed the spyder with no power because they wanted to be like the mk1 mr2, small, nimble and handles like a dream. most "fast" mr-s have force induction, that's pretty much all it will really need. a car that meet "...something with a good power-to-weight ratio, rwd/awd, and good aftermarket support." is the WRX [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
The s2000 is currently the "king" of imports as far as a n/a engine setup goes. Pushes the most power per litre than any other import engine (asian descent vehicle) and is the ONLY 4 cylinder vehicle that can utilize a true dual exhaust properly (which is also included stock). BUT the s2000 carries around a hefty price tag because it is a convertible only. If there was a hardtop option the vehicle would run about 6 grand less at around 27k msrp. s2000man can back me up on this stuff since he owns one, and to be honest i almost ended up buying it except for the fact of the convertible thing. It was about another 3 gradn to buy the hard top option making it cost way too much for everything i would get out of it as a daily driver, so i went with a touring model 350Z just for the whole comfort factor. (a LOT more creature comforts than the s2000) If i were to win the lottery though, i would definitely go back to honda for one and use it on the weekends for fun.
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Super street had a apex turbochager for their mr-s and got it to 200+ at the wheels I don't know about any other aftermarket support though but if you don't like the look theirs always the veilside kit that's made for it[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

Cool, cool. Okay, here's another possible option, except I don't know crap about them. Those Honda Del Sol cars 1993-1998...were they any good and would they be a good fixer-upper? I really don't like the fact that they are FWD and the engine is even smaller than the MR-2 Spyder, but they do appear to be light (I can't find the actual figures on weight, horsepower, and torque for them)...and they are several thousand dollars cheaper, thus I could spend a lot more on one to fix it up. Anyone know anything about the Honda Del Sol? I'm just tossing ideas around in here...don't mean to sound indecisive...although I truly am right now.

About that WRX...I've never really been a big fan of the WRX...really just not my cup of tea. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-04-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i am not a big fan of del sol, but they can swap b18 and h22s into it
Old 01-04-2003
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
yeah, S2k has the most hp/liter of any production N/A engine, and costs around $32k new. It would be cheaper if they had a coupe version, as OmegaBlue stated.
Old 01-04-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I think Del Sols are crappy looking stock, but if done right, they can look okay. They weigh about as much as a newborn, so you get quite a bit of acceleration out of not too much hp. They accept swaps pretty well, and don't cost all too much. If you're going for a car to go seriously crazy on, go with the Del Sol. The aftermarket is much bigger, and everything in general should cost less.
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
We are currently doing a project car right now over the winter and next summer. Its a 1st Gen CRX. They make awesome project cars, but you would do better with a 2nd Gen one as there is more out there for them. They are cheap, easy to find and mod, and they weigh next to nothing.
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

Isn't CRX a FWD car? I already changed my mind about the Del Sol...project car absolutely must meet original list of specs: AWD/RWD, reasonable power-to-weight ratio to start with, and good aftermarket support.
Old 01-04-2003
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
the DOHC 1.8 liter, if its 1790 cc as u said.. is a lot bigger in displacement than our civic..

we're barely 1.7 liter. we're only 1668 cc... I thought it would be more... hmp.

Old 01-04-2003

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
If you want an AWD or RWD car, why are you looking at Honda? I thought the only RWD Honda was the S2000 and thats quite a bit more expensive than a CRX or Del Sol.
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Logan
Isn't CRX a FWD car? I already changed my mind about the Del Sol...project car absolutely must meet original list of specs: AWD/RWD, reasonable power-to-weight ratio to start with, and good aftermarket support.[hr]
how much are you looking to spend? look at the earlier gen miatas, they make all sorts of go parts.. jackson racing's first s/c was for the miata. or you could go with a older model 240sx and do a sr20 swap, which is always nice
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: white2K2EX
If you want an AWD or RWD car, why are you looking at Honda? I thought the only RWD Honda was the S2000 and thats quite a bit more expensive than a CRX or Del Sol.[hr]
Do you read before you post or are you just trying to raise your post count? Sorry, don't mean to come off so mean like that, but I thought I made it clear I wasn't exclusively looking at Hondas. And in my prior post, I mentioned that I changed my mind about the Del Sol mainly because it didn't fit my "drivetrain desires," LOL. Next.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: dragoon
Isn't CRX a FWD car? I already changed my mind about the Del Sol...project car absolutely must meet original list of specs: AWD/RWD, reasonable power-to-weight ratio to start with, and good aftermarket support.[hr]
how much are you looking to spend? look at the earlier gen miatas, they make all sorts of go parts.. jackson racing's first s/c was for the miata. or you could go with a older model 240sx and do a sr20 swap, which is always nice[hr]
I have recently considered a late model Miata (2000+)...would it be more difficult to tune a late model Miata over the earlier generation Miata? I'm really trying to stick with cars that are 1993+ and look as modern as possible...I found most cars to be absolutely repulsive in the 80's and early 90's. I'm all about speed, but if you are going to do it in a fugly car, you lose points. I plan to spend between $8000 and $19000 on the purchase of a project car. About the 240SX...I've always viewed them as an inferior sibling of the 300ZX and I'd purchase a 300ZX before I got one. What I'm doing is building a list and whatever I find for sale first that's on my list, I will purchase. The list is quite small right now...and of course, the unicorns are on there...Supra and RX-7. We all know the chances of finding one of those two for a reasonable price, but they are on the list just in case [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]. But, yes...again, would a late model Miata be difficult to tune? I'm really looking to create something that'll do 1/4 mile in 11 or 12 seconds and run really well on a race track.
Old 01-05-2003

If you want an AWD or RWD car, why are you looking at Honda? I thought the only RWD Honda was the S2000 and thats quite a bit more expensive than a CRX or Del Sol.[hr]
Do you read before you post or are you just trying to raise your post count? Sorry, don't mean to come off so mean like that, but I thought I made it clear I wasn't exclusively looking at Hondas. And in my prior post, I mentioned that I changed my mind about the Del Sol mainly because it didn't fit my "drivetrain desires," LOL. Next.[hr]
Dude, calm the hell down. You just took nothing, and tried to make an issue out of it. If it bothered you that much, why didn't you just skip over what I wrote? Sorry if I didn't analyze what was written thoroughly enough for you.
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

Do you read before you post or are you just trying to raise your post count? Sorry, don't mean to come off so mean like that, but I thought I made it clear I wasn't exclusively looking at Hondas. And in my prior post, I mentioned that I changed my mind about the Del Sol mainly because it didn't fit my "drivetrain desires," LOL. Next.[hr]
Dude, calm the hell down. You just took nothing, and tried to make an issue out of it. If it bothered you that much, why didn't you just skip over what I wrote? Sorry if I didn't analyze what was written thoroughly enough for you. [hr]
Hehe. Don't take me toooooooooo serious when I go off like that. I have a short temper sometimes, but I am fairly forgiving and understanding most often. Well, at least IMHO. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]