General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Question about Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about Check Engine Light

Ok, so I got my HP header and cat for Christmas. After reading up about the install and stuff, I was under the impression that I needed an O2 simulator for the O2 sensor after the cat or else I would get a CEL. Well, I installed the header and cat, and sure enough, I got a CEL. So.....I ordered my O2 simulator and just figured I'd reset my computer like twice a day until I got my simulator in. Needless to say, resetting the CEL all the time got kinda annoying so I just left the **** on. I was on for about three or 4 days straight and then it disappeared. I don't know if it went off by itself, or if the light just burned from being on so long. LOL It's been off for a day or two so I'm not sure if it's gonna come back on. My question is.........I have my simulator now, but should I put it on, or return it and get my money back since the light went off?

Thanx,
Todd

P.S. If you have high flow cat, let me know what you did to prevent the CEL from coming on.

Oh yeah, and I apologize if this isn't in the correct forum. I didn't know where else to post...
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

2001civ is an unknown quantity at this point
I would scan the codes. It's free and well worth the hasle you will save youself. but I would be really surprised if the light didn't come back on. I'd also wait a few days to make sure everything is good to go just in case.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

2k1sscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Wait a few days
I think you shoud put the simulator on, more then likely that CEL will reappear
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

zetaR is an unknown quantity at this point
You need to put that O2 simulator on. I pretty much went through the same situation you went through. I got my Kamikaze header, CEL came on. I ordered the O2 simulator and a couple days later CEL went off. Then a few days after that CEL came back on. Then it stayed on until I got my O2 simulator installed. That was about six months ago, and the CEL has not come back on since. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

Ok, well I know it won't hurt to put the simulator on.
I just thought that maybe the computer adjusted or something.
I'm goin put it on right after work.
Old 01-03-2003
Registered!!

StLVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey AEMcivic where did you get ur hp header from. Howdo you like the gains. I have the hp shorty and hp downpipe and i like the gains from that. But i might switch to the long tube race header.
Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

Gains were noticed by both me and my passengers. You can actually tell when Vtec kicks in now because the car just starts to pull. The very first time I got into my car after the install I noticed a slight loss of low end power, but I don't really notice it anymore. Either I've gotten used to it or my computer made some adjustments. (I'm guessing that I just got used to it) Also, the car doesn't sound like it's straining at high RPMs anymore. I love my header. Don't think I'd trade it for anything in the world!! Well, maybe for a turbo kit.....

Oh yeah, BTW, I got the header and high flow cat from Nopi.com for about $280.