General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

New concept from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
New concept from Ford

i stumbled upon this while doing some research at work. i dont know where ford is going with this one, but im not feeling it.
i dont even think this would fit in in florida and cali.
its called the Ma, and thats all bamboo that its decked out it. the designer is J Mays.

Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Blown is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird....
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

BrotherSound is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a little more info on it

FORD MA CONCEPT UNVEILED AT J MAYS MUSEUM EXHIBIT OPENING

LOS ANGELES, Calif., Nov. 15, 2002 – Ford Motor Company Vice President of Design J Mays will debut his latest concept offering at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Los Angeles as part of an exhibit dedicated to his work. The exhibit is entitled Retrofuturism: The Car Design of J Mays.

The vehicle is called MA, named for the Asian philosophy of “the space between.” The philosophy refers to a kind of threshold where two concepts can exist in a mutually beneficial relationship. As a car, the MA represents the same idea, occupying a space between emotional and rational, art and science.

“The MA, with its architectural, minimalist appearance, poses what an automotive aesthetic might look like in the future,” said Mays. “This car is hard to pin down – and that’s what the MA is all about. It’s about proposing solutions that are not obvious, that are between our traditional visions for a car.”

Designed totally on a computer, the MA uses a futuristic combination of materials: bamboo, aluminum and carbon fiber. The car has no welds. Instead, 364 titanium bolts hold the MA together.

Environmental responsibility plays a key role in the MA. Bamboo, a regenerative grass that grows back every five years, figures prominently in the open-air design. Only a few parts are painted. There are no hydraulic fluids and none of the industrial adhesives typically used in automobiles, making the MA more than 96 percent recyclable. The MA concept uses a zero-emission, low-speed electric engine that has virtually no environmental impact. However, the car could also be outfitted with a small conventional gasoline engine.

The MA is targeted at younger customers looking for new interpretations of an automobile. The MA’s low-slung, aerodynamic wedge shape and mid-engine balance conjure up images of a two-seat, neighborhood sports car. Instead of being produced in a plant, the vehicle comes in a more than 500-piece kit, ready for assembly. At the MOCA exhibit, the MA will be displayed both as a completed car and as a kit of individual pieces ready for assembly.

“This would be a great hobby vehicle,” said Mays. “You could put it together in your garage at home with your son or daughter.”

The MA is part of the MOCA exhibit that opens to the public Nov. 17 and runs through March 9, 2003. The display marks the first comprehensive museum exhibition devoted to the work of an American automobile designer. A broad array of Mays’ work will be featured, including concept cars, development models, video footage, new photography and original drawings.

Since joining Ford in October 1997, Mays has completed the development of several new models including the 2002 Ford Thunderbird, Ford Forty-Nine concept car and the Ford GT, which all take their inspiration from classic models of the past.

Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
That would make some nice lawn furniture... [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
[hr]Originally posted by: flotsamm
That would make some nice lawn furniture... [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
i wouldnt put THAT on my lawn!

fugly!
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

LuZi0n is an unknown quantity at this point
get in a wreck in that thing and your screwed
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
I highly doubt they ever even considered producing it...it's supposed to be "art".
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

pewp is an unknown quantity at this point
that looks like a go-kart
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

SatinSilver2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
it's probably faster than our civics..
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya know...the more I look at it...the more I like it.

Think about it more like a bike...take it out on a warm sunny day type thing. If I had the money and Ford actually releases the kit, I'd build it and take it for a spin.
Old 11-18-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
It doesn't look like you can turn the steering wheel?

IronFist
Old 11-18-2002
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
DEATH IN A BOX[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
those tires are cool as hell[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-18-2002