General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

2005 US-Spec Lotus Elise

Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 US-Spec Lotus Elise

There is a stong rumour that Lotus Elise will finally enter North American shores in 2004, as a 2005 model. However, they are thinking about a new engine..... because in North America, consumers really only care about how fast it goes (handling is second here, let's face it). So they orignally thought about stuffing a Honda S2000 engine (there is an aftermarket company that does this already), but apparently they decided to go with Toyota Celica GTS motor.

This would make it lighter (1.8L vs 2.0L), albeit less horsepower (180HP vs 240HP.. although J-Spec 190HP might show up). Also, it would make sense from financial point of view. GM, the owner of Lotus, has an existing partnership with Toyota already through the Matrix/Vibe deal. Not to mention the past "J-Spec" Toyota Cavalier, and Geo Prizm & Corolla deals.

Anyway, this will be indeed a quick car. 2200lb MR-2 Spyder with 140HP does 0-60mph in under 7.5s... but Elise, just barely over 2000lb, equipped with 6-speed and 180HP engine should bring it closer to Honda S2000 range, or better.

And don't forget the world-class handling.
Old 11-12-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well... Lets just hope the feds don't have their way with it. Cuz if they do, this thing is gonna gain a ton of weight, and the whole point og the car will go right out the window. In reality... the car is an aluminium tub. But by the time they put all their door beams and crash zones in, the car will weigh considerably more than it should. I believe some shops are already dropping DC5 motors into them, so why not try that... 215 HP should keep it moving pretty good. I just hope the extra 30 HP over the old engine is enough... with 150 and no safety regulation crap, they go 0-60 in the 5's.
Old 11-12-2002
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
well actualy a company that's been bringin some for several years have used either the 6th gen civic Si engine or the IT-GSR engine, i've seen anothe one that uses the new K20 from the rsx type s.....
Old 11-12-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr][i]This would make it lighter (1.8L vs 2.0L), albeit less horsepower (180HP vs 240HP.. although J-Spec 190HP might show up). Also, it would make sense from financial point of view. GM, the owner of Lotus, has an existing partnership with Toyota already through the Matrix/Vibe deal. Not to mention the past "J-Spec" Toyota Cavalier, and Geo Prizm & Corolla deals.[hr]

I just want to ask what a Toyota Cavalier is??
Old 11-12-2002
Jon
Registered!!

Jon is an unknown quantity at this point
it would have been sweeter with f20c1 and rwd

looking at robb's sig, me flypoofgone
Old 11-12-2002
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
elise's are the baddest mother fu%kin cars around. i went o a drivng school when i turned 16. and they start you off in a stang, and thn you go into the elise and they are the equivenlent of a nsx. at least to me they are. fast, sharp looking and did i mention fast.

riley
Old 11-12-2002
. . . The Master Debater . . .

amhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: robbclark1
[hr][i]This would make it lighter (1.8L vs 2.0L), albeit less horsepower (180HP vs 240HP.. although J-Spec 190HP might show up). Also, it would make sense from financial point of view. GM, the owner of Lotus, has an existing partnership with Toyota already through the Matrix/Vibe deal. Not to mention the past "J-Spec" Toyota Cavalier, and Geo Prizm & Corolla deals.[hr]

I just want to ask what a Toyota Cavalier is??[hr]
Ditto. Toyota Cavalier?
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
It will meet fed standards.. as long as their change that 16 piece front bumper. THey are going with 1 piece.. all for safety sake.

Toyota Cavalier is GM's attempt to penitrate the Japanese market. They have Chevy dealerships down there too, but it's pretty dead. In fact, I think they might have even pulled out.

So GM asked Toyota to sell Cavaliers for them--and they did, hence Toyota Cavalier was born. Believe it or not, TRD even came out with a body kit for it.................. some guys on the J-Body club have actually ordered it. Looks pretty sweet! (for a Cavalier)
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
yep, toyota cavalier. FoMoCo does that with its Mazda nameplate, too.

an elise being sold stateside would definitely be sweet!