General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Dodge Neon SRT-4 1/4 mile=14.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spotchicus is an unknown quantity at this point
I was linked to this thread by a fellow car enthusiast who was getting a big laugh out of most of the posters in the thread. All i can say is that I'm not suprised in the least by the attitude so many civic owners on the site. I chose to reply to this thread because my two personal favorite types of ricers are represented here.

1. The "when my civic is completed it will be Sooooo much faster than that stock neon and will have cost me 2x as much and voided my waranty so i dont care!" type ricer. This is my favorite. The one who goes out and spends 15-20 grand on a honda civic because he wanted a tyte fwd car that would make a great (fwd) drag racer and would have awesome (fwd) handling charactersitics. (of course there are enough contradictions here to make a logician's head explode).

2. The "i dont care how fast it is, its unreliable" ricer. This is particularly amusing because the car hasnt even been released yet. Meaning, no one has even had a chance to drive one and have it break on them. Not that I expected any intelligent contributions from the 7th generation community but such blatant ignorance is still pretty suprising. If the car is so unreliable please cite your sources. How many of you have done in-depth research into the reliability of the stratus r/t's engine, which will be powering the neon in a modified form. How many of you have pored over reams of technical documents detailing all the unreliabilities of which you speak. Please, present your proof because as an automotive enthusiast I'm dying to learn something. Either offer your solid proof or prove to the rest of the automotive community that your even less intelligent than they were giving you credit for.

I've been getting the "your neon may be quick but its unreliable" for the past 2 1/2 years that I've owned my car and it really has turned inot a big joke. Nothing like talking to people with slow cars whose only defense is "oh yeah....well... yours may be better anf aster but its not as reliable". I have yet to have their arguments validated with actual examples of the mechanical failure all the slow *** civic owners have been promising for years. *shrugs* Maybe its because your all full of **** and butthurt that your innexcusably poorly performing cars cost so much and provide so little aside from daily driveability. You know its f**king pathetic when people start longing for an engine swap that will give them 40hp and cost 7000-10000 dollars. lol, f**king incredible.

I really dont blame you all though, I mean honestly the srt-4 neon will be running 1-2 seconds faster than 99% of the 7g civics what will ever be produced or modified and for about the price of a new civic Si (which is being sold for 19-23,000 dollars around atlanta last I heard). I guess honda decided the new civic owners wanted a *****-in-dash shifter instead of an extra .7 liters, 100+ tq and 60hp. *shrugs* Dont look at me. I guess paying all that for a little plastic dash ***** instead of acceleration would make me butthurt too.

But enough rambling. While I wont excuse your ignorance and crybabying I do understand where your coming from and frankly I dont blame you. If honda started producing cars that competed with everything else out there in the same price range I would probably feel bad for having bought something else but as it stands now every fabricated reliability complaint you guys come up with is just another example of underperformance-induced PMS that I've been watching sweep across the 7g community ever since the owners started buying them and being outrun by people in ragged out neons, sentras and even zx2s lol.

ps, do any of you try to drive around looking like a badass in your minivans, er.. Si's? I saw one one guy rollin hard (lol) in a white 2k2 the other day and I couldnt even control my laughter. He kinda hung back until I had to make a left hand turn and then he blew past me at WOT. what a f**king tool . I guess he goes to Ga Tech too. Wouldnt suprise me, youd be amazed at some of the **** the students at this school waste their money on. Well... it wouldnt really amaze you guys, you got snookered too. lol.

ps- If you've got a problem with what i said you might want to try AIM, i dont really plan to waste too much more time on this site. I can pretty much predict the next 10 pages of the thread.

civic owner : Your cars unreliable!
me: race me
civic owner : I would but your cars too unreliable!
me: prove it
civic owner No! i wont! because your car is too unreliable! so Ha!

god, talk about a broken record.
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
i almost craped my pants thinking a 2k1 member wrote that.. then i saw it was spotch [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

edit: and i DID beat that ZX2, i SWEAR! Thanh lies [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

moose87 is an unknown quantity at this point
its still a neon and looks like [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuru
i almost craped my pants thinking a 2k1 member wrote that.. then i saw it was spotch [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][hr]
i own a 2k1 ex and i dont fit into those two molds at all...in fact i hate hondas...period. s2ks, nsxs, all OVERPRICED CRAP. unfortuantely im stuck with this car and cant get rid of it till after college.

btw, now that i think about it the new si shifter as an in dash ***** is hilarious [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]. i always felt sorry for those wannabe minivan owners...now even moreso.

editL you forgot the ricer that says "youre car might be fast, but mine looks better" those people are pretty damn retarded too[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

leadfoot78 is an unknown quantity at this point
That’s because none of the companies care about the 7th gen Civic if you compare the doch Focus the SVT Focus or the Dodge r/t thats their top in the Focus and Neon line, now do you think the 7th gen Civic EX is Hondas top of the line? not hardly, not even close. Look at the stuff you can get for the RSX(that’s Honda too whether u like it or not) and I'm not talking about pus^y **** like AEM intake and clear lights, talking about Toda cams, Toda pistons, stainless steal valves, block guards and Mugen valve springs. That’s your problem I'm referring to Honda and Dodge but you think I'm talking about the 7th gen only, look at the whole picture.
Oh and the other guy why do you think they didn't make more r/t's do you think they just changed their mind? what kind of company would develop a brand new motor, put so much r&d and man power and then change their mind. Either they weren't selling good or it wasn't cost effective to make it. Either way they didn't do a good job. Actually now I remember reading an article in Sport Compact Car about a mild build up of the R/T and they said that the engine was supposed to be a performance oriented abut was poorly designed. They couldn’t squeeze more rpm from it because the rocker arms ware designed with most of it's mass in the tips of the rocker arm which is exactly what you DONT do when you want rpm. That's why so many people buy titanium valve spring retainers cuz they are lighter, u know less inertia, Newtons law ring a bell??!!! yes I think your Dodge sux my verga! [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

its still a neon and looks like [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]

Oh wait, i forgot! Your totally right. When you buy a honda civic you pay for the LOOKS of the car! totally! Dude how could i forget. I was at the grocery store the other day and I didnt even see the Ferarri 360 and the E46 M3 sitting there because I was too busy busting a nut on all the UBER STYLISH honda civics scattered all over the lot. The owners were too busy busting their nuts all over their own cars too notice those overhyped supercars either.
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

They couldn’t squeeze more rpm from it because the rocker arms ware designed with most of it's mass in the tips of the rocker arm which is exactly what you DONT do when you want rpm
What the hell does this argument have to do with the 2.4 turbocharged engine in the SRT-4. That engine makes its power from boost, not revs, and is WAY different from the na 2.0 engine used in the 1995-1999 neons. Maybe you should the posts within a topic before replying to them.

Having said that... My 2.0 DOHC neon revs higher than any stock or near stock 7g civic out there and does so reliably with just a couple boltons. So wtf are you talking about?
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: spotchicus

Oh wait, i forgot! Your totally right. When you buy a honda civic you pay for the LOOKS of the car! totally! Dude how could i forget. I was at the grocery store the other day and I didnt even see the Ferarri 360 and the E46 M3 sitting there because I was too busy busting a nut on all the UBER STYLISH honda civics scattered all over the lot. The owners were too busy busting their nuts all over their own cars too notice those overhyped supercars either.[hr]
damn i think a good majority of the members of this board have just been
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

Haha, ok ok guys seriously cut it out. I gotta go to bed before you f**kers kill any more brain cells. Have fun trying to make up more bullshit arguments that are either entirely falsified or have absolutely nothing to do with the topic. I dont have any more time to waste laughing at you clueless f**ks. (although I'm starting to wish I did...)
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

Neonmike is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: leadfoot78
That’s because none of the companies care about the 7th gen Civic if you compare the doch Focus the SVT Focus or the Dodge r/t thats their top in the Focus and Neon line, now do you think the 7th gen Civic EX is Hondas top of the line? not hardly, not even close. Look at the stuff you can get for the RSX(that’s Honda too whether u like it or not) and I'm not talking about pus^y **** like AEM intake and clear lights, talking about Toda cams, Toda pistons, stainless steal valves, block guards and Mugen valve springs. That’s your problem I'm referring to Honda and Dodge but you think I'm talking about the 7th gen only, look at the whole picture. [hr]
Yeah, and you can get Crower / crane cams and JE or Wiesco pistons and Stainless valves and Crower/Crane cams valve springs for neons. There's nothing you can do to a honda that you can't do to a neon. Well, i don't think they make a block guard for the neon, but the engine is strong enough such that people have made 600hp without one.

[hr]Originally posted by: leadfoot78
Oh and the other guy why do you think they didn't make more r/t's do you think they just changed their mind? what kind of company would develop a brand new motor, put so much r&d and man power and then change their mind. Either they weren't selling good or it wasn't cost effective to make it. Either way they didn't do a good job. Actually now I remember reading an article in Sport Compact Car about a mild build up of the R/T and they said that the engine was supposed to be a performance oriented abut was poorly designed. They couldn’t squeeze more rpm from it because the rocker arms ware designed with most of it's mass in the tips of the rocker arm which is exactly what you DONT do when you want rpm. That's why so many people buy titanium valve spring retainers cuz they are lighter, u know less inertia, Newtons law ring a bell??!!! yes I think your Dodge sux my verga! [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG][hr]
I suppose one of the reasons R/Ts aren't so common is because there really isin't anything too special about them compared to other neons, other than the fact that they had all the options and were always DOHC with a 5 speed. Enthusaists much prefer the sleeper ACR model, which came with cheater shocks and a few other special items. While only the Si got the B16A, just about every model of neon had the option for the DOHC engine.

That article sport compact car wrote was about the SOHC base model engine, not the DOHC engine mentioed above. The DOHC engine has very small and lightweight roller cam followers. They're probably lighter than honda VTEC rockers since they aren't as complex.
Old 11-11-2002
I do a body good

IMURMILK is on a distinguished road
Who the Fuc$ does this guy think he is? Coming on this site, talking ****. Yo *** you have a friggin neon. Its not like your driving a bentley or a lamborghini or something. For Christs sake...you own a NEON!!!! I am sure they are about 100 or so neon sites just like this kind of site, with people that are a lot more ricey than anyone with a civic. Now given I do like the srt-4 and it is fast as ****. But for you to waste your time becoming a member to talk **** to people with civics.. God you must really have NO Life.
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You folks with civics sometimes seem to think you own bentleys or lamborghinis when refering to other compacts.

As for your "why are you here?" question, I'm here to talk to the civic guys on this site who aren't idiots, and have realistic views on racing and their car's performance. Some folks do not appear to be in this group.
Old 11-12-2002
I do a body good

IMURMILK is on a distinguished road
Well I for one realize that I drive a civic..and only a civic. Im not out of reality to think that this is a race car. And another thing..if you dont like it get the hell off the site with you damn ugly neon. You wouldnt see me joining a neon site, cause they are ugly. So you must like the 7th gen civic enought to become a member right?
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Already answered that, if you don't like my neon that's fine, but having a closed mind like that you'll miss out on a lot of fun cars. Lighten up.
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]spotchicus[hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: moose87
its still a neon and looks like [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG][hr]
Well, I'll admit to that...it looks OK, I guess...but I'm definately not a fan of its looks. That's about it.

edit: to avoid confusion...not fan of the looks...but give for performance.
Old 11-12-2002
LJ
Fernando The Donkey Lover

LJ is an unknown quantity at this point
does it come in a coupe?? or only a 4 door?
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

Neons have only been 4 doors since 2000. Unfortunately I don't see that changing soon, the next bodystye around 2005 may come as a 2 door.
Old 11-12-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm.. this is like a sequel to Dodge Omni Turbo & Dodge Shadow Turbo...

Feriously quick, dirt cheap and... well, it's a Dodge. Some how I think it'll end up like the others--broken and not lasting a long time. Fun for people who leased them though!!

Civic rapage will begin... take off the wing, and it's a nice little sleeper. Rims are fimilar. Dual exhaust is fimilar. Side skirt is too subtle. You won't see the revised front bumper from the side. DAMN!! And this thing will play tag with Impreza WRX, Honda S2000 and Audi S4...