General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Get to drive an IS300

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Lexus defintely does a good job of making their customers happy. Their cars are very nice and very comfortable. Some people just can't get over the styling and want the German counterpart. Different strokes for different folks. I think they're all nice cars.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

doublins is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: FURY
the IS handles worse than your Civic? I think you're just not used to RWD.[hr]

I said, in "winter weather," because, let's face it, a RWD car on 17" rims and summer tires just isn't going ANYWHERE in the snow.

Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: ZeroFighter
you can fit a supra engine in there, then, that would be fast azz IS, I rather get my maxima or a G35[hr]

The IS300 DOES have the supra engine- the 2JZ-GE. Maybe you're thinking of the 2JZ-GTE, which is it's twin turbo counterpart.

Then yes, it would be quite refreshing.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I test drove one awhile back and I liked it and all but forget that price tag. I could get other things

Nick
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
Really? Last time I checked the IS300 was pulling low 15s in the 1/4 mile. I guess you would "rape" me there too

Or you mean YOUR IS and MY Si? Your car runs faster then high 13s? Perhaps you refering to your "future mods" then? The ones you dont have anywhere but in your signature? Yea, I thought so.

Thank you for playing.

BTW;
Futuristic, grow some pubes. You immaturity is hurting my brain.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

SmokinCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Well all I know is that I am graduating university in 1 month and have signed a 2yr contract with a fairly big IT firm so I am trading in the civic for either an IS 300 or G35 coupe. If they can drop that 300+ bhp engine in the IS 300 it would definately swing towards the IS compared to the G35. But 0-60 in 6.1 secs is very distracting.

Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
Ummmmm... 350Z.. HELLO?!
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: HondaGuru
Really? Last time I checked the IS300 was pulling low 15s in the 1/4 mile. I guess you would "rape" me there too

Or you mean YOUR IS and MY Si? Your car runs faster then high 13s? Perhaps you refering to your "future mods" then? The ones you dont have anywhere but in your signature? Yea, I thought so.

Thank you for playing.

BTW;
Futuristic, grow some pubes. You immaturity is hurting my brain.[hr]
If your car can run 13's, then I retract some of my statements. Your b16 would beat me at the track. My current best is 14.52, which isn't even CLOSE to 13s.

Now, yes, with my future mods that exist only in the form of a purchase order confirmation and my signature, I hope to pull into the 13s.

However, it is noted that that means nothing until my car ACTUALLY runs 13s, but oh well, backorders are a bitch.

I guess even mentioning stock 4 stock means nothing since neither of our cars ARE stock.

(I still think I'd give you a run for your money at an autoX)

Did you manage that while still normally aspirated and without gutting the car? If so, very impressive.
Even with boost, very impressive.
I'd like to learn more about your car- if you have a website with pics and all, or even if you'd just like to tell me about it, drop me a PM.

-C
Old 11-04-2002
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
No, but you WILL find it head to head with the likes of the 330Cl sport.

Susposedly Toyota is thinking of shoe-horning in a 300+ BHP V8 into the IS (will then be the IS430). THAT will get my attention, not this 3 series wanabe.[hr]
Yeah i saw some stuff on that...they slapped on fender flares, a new front and rear, couple other minor things like better rims, but the best is the 4.3 engine

My godmother just bought the G35, very impressive car, 255hp RWD, Eats mustangs alive haha, all with bose and leather, gotta love the imports
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: doublins

Thank you for playing.

BTW;
Futuristic, grow some pubes. You immaturity is hurting my brain.[hr]
If your car can run 13's, then I retract some of my statements. Your b16 would beat me at the track. My current best is 14.52, which isn't even CLOSE to 13s.

Now, yes, with my future mods that exist only in the form of a purchase order confirmation and my signature, I hope to pull into the 13s.

However, it is noted that that means nothing until my car ACTUALLY runs 13s, but oh well, backorders are a bitch.

I guess even mentioning stock 4 stock means nothing since neither of our cars ARE stock.

(I still think I'd give you a run for your money at an autoX)

Did you manage that while still normally aspirated and without gutting the car? If so, very impressive.
Even with boost, very impressive.
I'd like to learn more about your car- if you have a website with pics and all, or even if you'd just like to tell me about it, drop me a PM.

-C[hr]
Nope. i did it with a 350 dollar clutch (istalled), a 300 dollar used N20 kit (installed my self) and the removal of my spare tire/jack and passenger seat (free).

Total cost + what I paid for the Si:
$17,150 + tax.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: SpdRcrChk
Its a nice car. But Id rathe get a 350Z. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
its looks ugly

id rather get a beat up subaru justy and dump the extra 20k into it
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Giuseppe is an unknown quantity at this point
Last I heard, the best stock 5-speed IS3 1/4 mile time was 14.9, which if I remember correctly was by GTE on IS300.net. He's also the guy that did the 2JZGTE swap.
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Nope. i did it with a 350 dollar clutch (istalled), a 300 dollar used N20 kit (installed my self) and the removal of my spare tire/jack and passenger seat (free).

$17,150 + tax.[hr]
I would have thought that you, of all people, would be the last person to be a proponent of N2O.

shame, shame.

-C
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: doublins

$17,150 + tax.[hr]
I would have thought that you, of all people, would be the last person to be a proponent of N2O.

shame, shame.

-C[hr]

are you one of those people that think nitrous oxide is cheating? well by that thought process i guess when you supercharge your is, it will be cheating also. turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous oxide. all are FI methods.
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Yes, please explain why out of all people I would be against the use of n20?
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Yes, please explain why out of all people I would be against the use of n20?[hr]
Because yes, as LikeWEEEEEEEEE said, I am one of those individuals that does not consider N2O a legitimate upgrade as far as being able to claim a HP rating that you achieve on the dyno with N20 or a 1/4 mile time using N20.

It is perfectly fair to use N20, so long as you append (using N20) to any track times or dyno figures obtained using it.

For instance, if your car can dyno 230 WHP using N20 and run a 13.8, then be sure to STATE that you achieved these numbers with the help of N20, because that was what allowed your engine to operate OUTSIDE of its NORMAL OPERATING POTENTIAL.

(don't be a wiseass and claim "well, I was using gasoline, too- do I have to state that?" I think you feel me)

Here is my philosophy, and please, remember this is just MY opinion. It is not right or wrong.

N2O is a completely temporary performance enhancer- kinda like tuning your car for one race and using high-octane race gas that you would not ordinarily use in everyday driving conditions.

If your car is simply a track car, and it is tuned for the track, and used solely at the track, then it would be different.

However, N20 is temporary- you are simply adding an external chemical component to the normal reaction processes of your combustion cycle that will allow you to acheive higher than normal HP for a short burst of time.

Other forms of forced induction are perfectly fine, in my book, as they are a permanent part of your engine's mechanical processes that increase the NORMAL OPERATING POTENTIAL of the engine.

Here's an analogy-
Two kids are arguing over who would win in a fight, and decide to duke it out.

Forced induction would be the equivalent of one of them learning a martial art, to enhance their skills.

N20 would be the equivalent of one pulling out a gun and just shooting the other kid.

Both are effective solutions at that instant in time, but what happens when the kid with the gun runs out of bullets?

Whereas the kid trained in martial arts can fight all day long.

Do you feel where I'm coming from?

Still, no matter how you slice it, high 13s are respectable.

The reason I thought you would not have been a proponent of N20, joe, is precisely because of why I am opposed to it.
I have always respected your technical knowledge and know-how, as well as your down-to-earth, anti-rice, keep it simple attitude that you carry on this board. For these reasons, I would have thought that you would have shared the same viewpoint as myself on the topic.

I'd like to hear your opinion, too. I'm always open to learning a new perspective, and perhaps you can open up my mind a little.
Write me here or PM me.

Respectfully,
-Chris
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Fact of the matter is this:

A) I've never run out of "bullets"

B) It makes power the exact same way, just through a different means (chemical instead of mechanical)

C) It would take 12 years of me filling my bottle up 2x a month (which is 1x more then I actually do) to = a USED FI system ($2500), minus the 300 I paid the for kit of course.

D) Its all about performance per dollar.

E) If nitrous is hooked up to the engine, its POTENTIAL, yes the entire engines POTENTIAL (since u like to use that word) is increased. It doesn’t matter if it’s on or off, the engine still has the potential of making whatever power gains are available from the nitrous.

You want an analogy? I could get a Jackson racing super charger. It has a boost bypass feature which effectively shuts off the blower (well redirects the pressure out of the system anyway) when the throttle isn’t at or near full application. That means there is no gained power production from said FI unit, unless the car is near WOT. Does this also mean that unless you are flooring it, it doesn’t have the "normal operating potential" as a turbo car? Pfffffff. That’s a circular argument and is a tad bit illogical once you take a closer look at it.

The reason for the pypass, plus an advantage in N20 over dedicated boost, is that there is less consistant engine wear on the car. therefore saving gas + wear and tear which all = to more saved money.
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

I have listened to your points, but I'm sorry- I'm still not swayed.

As far as potential goes, I said "normal operating potential." Yes, I am aware that the actual entire potential output of the system is increased while the tank is connected, but that is simply wordsmithing.

I enjoy experiencing G-forces entirely too much to settle for limiting myself to simply "squeezing" sparingly here and there. I would much rather have that power available whenever I feel like harnessing it.

Whatever the case, I respect your opinion, and I hope that you will grant me the same courtesy.

Something tells me this won't be the last time we share a difference of opinion, not that that's a bad thing.

-C