General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Get to drive an IS300

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Get to drive an IS300

Well.. i traded my civic in for an IS300... ha.. only for a couple weeks.. It's my sisters and i'm getting it tinted for her so i traded cars for a couple weeks.. first off.. OMG! that car has soo much more power.. lol.. 215hp, VVT-I, ECT-I with the push button shifting.. man.. but yeah.. that car is in a completely different class. But i do have to say that my car handles better than the IS.. but the 60-100 time is amazing fast.. def faster than what the civic can do from 60-80, and the thing stops on a dime.. oh well.. definetly a nice car...
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
It is one of the cars I will like to get when I get old =)

Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

nuffsed is an unknown quantity at this point
My girlfriend has one... and whenever we go out she just knows who to hand the keys over to...
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

PicCoLoboi02 is on a distinguished road
shoot lemme have it for a couple of weeks
Old 10-29-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
I drove my friend's 2k2 L-tuned series 1. Definetely worth every penny, but it needs a little more power.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, they FEEL fast. hell my friends FELT faster then my Si (off the N20 of course), but i always end up edging him out in the 1/4 mile.

'Im not too impressed for what they cost.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

netcbc is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: JoeB16
yes, they FEEL fast. hell my friends FELT faster then my Si (off the N20 of course), but i always end up edging him out in the 1/4 mile.

'Im not too impressed for what they cost.[hr]
They look fast and feel fast, but many and i mean many people have said the exact same thing
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Giuseppe is an unknown quantity at this point
I think people forget that the car isn't ment to be a speed demon. It's a sporty sedan, not a sportscar. If you wanted a car for pure speed and didn't care about the build quality, quiet cabin, refinement, etc then it isn't the car for you... unless you go tubo. For daily driving the car has plenty of power, however I too wish it had more power from the factory. You can definitely get faster cares for alot less money, i.e. WRX, 350Z.

Hey Dogstlye - You think you're Civic handles better? Do you have any suspension mods? Cause I just find that hard to believe.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Unstoppable is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally I would NEVER buy an IS300 for that kind of a price tag. If I'm going to fork that much money for a Toyota, I rather get something like a BMW 3 series or even a Mercedes. I don't think Lexus is comparable luxury wise to the 2 auto makers I mentioned. Personally the styling is a bit too boxy for my tastes. The L-Tuned is pretty nice, but it is definately NOT worth every penny. Its an extra what? I forgot the price, but it just has an aggressive body kit, 18's or something and otehr stuff. For that extra price, I rather buy the parts myself aftermarket. Now M3...there's a car that's worth every penny, from inside to outside.
Old 10-29-2002
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
Its a nice car. But Id rathe get a 350Z. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
all that car has is looks and nothing else, 215hp isnt really alot when you compare it with the audis in its class or the WRX which costs less. Dont get me wrong its not that i dont like it, but i really think it needs way more than 215hp......
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

MikeyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Unstoppable
I don't think Lexus is comparable luxury wise to the 2 auto makers I mentioned.[hr]
I have to disagree with you... I have owned 2 Lexus ES300's, and both of them were absolutly perfect. I never had one single problem with either one. I will agree with you as far as styling goes, they are not the sweetest looking cars on the road, but Lexus has it's target customers in mind, and they do well with those demographics. I think BMW and MB are fine cars (although I've read some crappy things about the new 745i), but I wouldn't keep Lexus out of that group.

Just my $.02

Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

doublins is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think you want to hear my opinion... after reading all of your doodoo
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: doublins
I don't think you want to hear my opinion... after reading all of your doodoo[hr]
hahahaha.. nice. i didn't quite get it until i read your sig.. anywho..

on my civic i have T'oser racing coilovers (true) with a 1/2 finger gap all around, neuspeed FSB, DC lower tie, RSX sway, Rear strut bar, dunlop sp. A2's... i can actually take corners faster without slippage.. but that car would eat my civic up any other way though.. duh..[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

oh.. and also i got to drive my dad's '03 330i for a couple of weeks.. same reason.. and while it does have more power, it is definetly comparable and NOT in a completely different class.. plus it's about 6k less.. so you take that 6k and add a few goodies.. and it is most definetly comparable..
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Unstoppable
Personally I would NEVER buy an IS300 for that kind of a price tag. If I'm going to fork that much money for a Toyota, I rather get something like a BMW 3 series or even a Mercedes. I don't think Lexus is comparable luxury wise to the 2 auto makers I mentioned. Personally the styling is a bit too boxy for my tastes. The L-Tuned is pretty nice, but it is definately NOT worth every penny. Its an extra what? I forgot the price, but it just has an aggressive body kit, 18's or something and otehr stuff. For that extra price, I rather buy the parts myself aftermarket. Now M3...there's a car that's worth every penny, from inside to outside.[hr]
Drive an LS430 and you will see just how ignorant you are...LS430 definately kills bmw and mercedes in quality and reliability when comparing competing models...Lexus not comparable..LOL

Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Did you drive an e-shift or a 5-speed? The 5-speeds have better stock suspension setups, plus, I threw on a set of Eibach sways, and that thing is FLAT AS HELL now [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

I may be biased, but I love my IS.

BTW,
auto IS3's dyno around 165-175 RWHP stock
man IS3's dyno around 180-185 RWHP stock

which did you drive?

mine is at 214 RWHP which equates to ~245-250 at the crank.
Not bad for a 3L engine with a few bolt ons and an A/F controller.

-for now... my s/c is on backorder...
once that's on there, I will have the supreme M killer, at about 75% of the cost [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

oh yah and that reliability thing...

I guess lexus does suck- that's why lexus and toyota consistantly come in first and second in JD Power quality and reliability studies.

Toyota makes the best engines in the world, hands down.

Ask those bimmer owners that keep blowing their engines up what they think of german reliability.

-C
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

watewate is an unknown quantity at this point
Lexus is great, not much shortcuts are taken on these cars.

as for IS300, 2001 is kinda toyota econobox-ish in fit and finish, but 2002+ a lot better.

Personally G35 or G35 Coupe would be much much better buys.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
whats "doodoo" is estimated Hp figures and "future modifications".

"
[hr]think people forget that the car isn't ment to be a speed demon. It's a sporty sedan, not a sportscar[hr]
"

BTW, I like how you said this car wasnt meant to be a sports car, when thats exactly what Touota markets it as in its US commercials (why does the IS300 drive like a sports car? Because it IS a sports car!)
Old 10-29-2002
Blv
Registered!!

Blv is an unknown quantity at this point
IS300 is one nice car.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

it has tons of potential too.. look here

One of the car with that Stage 5.5 is featured in Turbo magazine.. here

Hey Dublin, how much is the SC cost? is it cheaper than the turbo kits? (which retail around $6500, except for Toyomoto I guess)
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow

Drive an LS430 and you will see just how ignorant you are...LS430 definately kills bmw and mercedes in quality and reliability when comparing competing models...Lexus not comparable..LOL[hr]
According to Car and Driver

MRSP LS 430 - $54925.00
MRSP M3 2dr Cpe - $46500.00
MRSP MB C Class 3.2 L AMG - $50400.00

For the price of the LS430, I'll take a M3 anyday. To each to their own. I personally don't think a Toyota is worth that much. Don't get me wrong, Toyota is Japan's top auto maker and they make some great reliable engines. However, when I look for a luxurious car in the $45-$60 K region, I would look for an European car. Actually there is one Lexus that I think is pretty sweet. The SC 430, I love the tail lights on that one.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
WTF, I wasn't comparing a luxo boat to a sports car. LOL I was commenting on your statement about lexus in general. Lexus makes an awesome car. I like the cheaper ones but have experience with the 430 in particular. Lexus just says I have money w/o the hey look at me kinda thing.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Mbow - Guess I misunderstood your statement though. You do bring up a good point though. At least if I drive a Lexus, I would be less worry about someone pointing a gun at me and jacking my car which is extremely common for BMW and MB's around where I live.
Old 10-30-2002
Registered!!

Giuseppe is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: JoeB16
whats "doodoo" is estimated Hp figures and "future modifications".

"
[hr]think people forget that the car isn't ment to be a speed demon. It's a sporty sedan, not a sportscar[hr]
"

BTW, I like how you said this car wasnt meant to be a sports car, when thats exactly what Touota markets it as in its US commercials (why does the IS300 drive like a sports car? Because it IS a sports car!)
[hr]
I couldn't tell you why they choose to market it as a "sports car". Maybe because Lexus has a reputation as a reliable luxury automaker that doesn't sell "fun" cars, and as a result is marketing the IS3 to the masses as a fun car hoping to change it's image alittle in the publics mind.

However you're not going to find it in any head-to-head comparison test in Car and Driver against an M3, cause it's not. Marketing gurus ad ideas and reality are two different things. I don't believe that Taco Bell has done something incredible by using 4 cheeses, but I understand that they're trying to get me to try it. They're ads.
Old 10-30-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way
HondaGuru is an unknown quantity at this point
No, but you WILL find it head to head with the likes of the 330Cl sport.

Susposedly Toyota is thinking of shoe-horning in a 300+ BHP V8 into the IS (will then be the IS430). THAT will get my attention, not this 3 series wanabe.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

all i know, joe, is that my "3 series wannabe" will still rape the hell out of your SI in pretty much any category except winter weather handling.

That is all.
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

ZeroFighter is an unknown quantity at this point
you can fit a supra engine in there, then, that would be fast azz IS, I rather get my maxima or a G35
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

FutuRisticCiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
bwuahahhaha very true doublin..... i think guru is fvcking jealous he got a lousy SI. u must be dumb as a motherfvcker dissing an IS, knowing that you only drive a Civic SI .... bwuahahhahaha

hahahahha crushed his As$. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-03-2002
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point
the IS handles worse than your Civic? I think you're just not used to RWD.

Quick Reply: Get to drive an IS300