General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Got to test drive a 911 Carerra (kind of long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Got to test drive a 911 Carerra (kind of long)

Heres the deal. I went to European Motorcarraiges here in West Des Moines with my gf yesterday. Shes looking at trading in her Toyota SUV for the BMW Z4 thats coming out soon. We went in and were helped by a couple people and they were showing us all these broshures on the Z4 and telling us how nice everyone thought they were. I for some reason was thinking they were going to be around $65,000 finding out that the 6 cylinder version was right at $40,000. She was impressed with the car and I guess were going back next week to take out one they have coming in as a demo model. Anwho, were wondering around the lot with the salesperson, and we come up to all the porsches. The first one I saw was a 911 turbo and next to it was a 911 carerra cabriolet. (red with a black top) So the salesguy asked us if we had ever driven a porsche and I told him a boxster. He excused himself and went inside for a couple minutes and came back out with the keys to the vehicle and threw them to me saying "go out and take her for a spirited test drive". I'm like allright, why not. So we got in and and took the car out. HOOOLLY SHISHKABOB, are those cars nice. Once we got out of the dealership I was taking it easy on her for a while until we got out of site and then I laid into her. We were probably doing around 105mph in a 55 zone and over 130mph on the freeway. Of course, the gf is sitting in the passenger seat grabing on the O.S. handle laughing. The clutch in those takes a little geting used to but once you have it down in a couple minutes.........................damn, those things are nice. I dont know what the performance times are or anything like that but it was nice. After we left that dealership, we rolled over to an Audi dealership and also took out a Audi TT coupe. Those cars are very easy to drive. They are really cramped from the inside, but are nice. She cant really drive a manual gearbox too well but I told her to try it out anyways. OMG, it was funny. She was launching the car at 6K and just dumping the clutch to get the thing going. On the way back to dealership, you could definetly tell the clutch or something was burning. Unfortunately, my digital camera is broken, so we got some Kodak pictures made so I'll have them in a couple days. We got some good pics of me driving the carerra and her in the TT, so I'll post them when I get them.
And heres a pic I got off of Porsche's website of the carerra we took out.
Old 10-23-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
GT2.... I'm waiting for you.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
that woud NEVER happen here in NJ. i have never seen a dealer just let someone take the car out for a drive without a sales rep. not even to my dad!!! but damn man, very nice. i love that car. i would have asked to drive the turbo. hehehe [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
im gonna have to try and get a testdive in the summer...
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

Milky is an unknown quantity at this point
Tell me how the TT stacks up. I've been seriously thinking about trading in my 2k1 for the 225hp quattro model. I love my 2k1 and all but I've wanted the TT since it was a concept car, just could never afford it.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

Dont get me wrong. Its a nice car, but of course it doesnt really stack up well against a $82,000 Porsche.

We liked the interior of the car more than the exterior. The dash controls are cool. The radio has a flip down aluminum bezel with a TT emblem on it. It was all brushed aluminum on the vents, HVAC controls, and whatnot. It is really easy to drive as far as the manual gearbox goes. The one we took out was a 6spd, but I doubt you really need 6th gear on the freeway unless your cruising over 100mph. You cant hear anything from the engine compartment as far as the TT's are going. Is has a nice sound to it. Your best bet is to go to your local Audi dealership and just take one out for yourself. Hope that helped somewhat.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

Milky is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to drive over 300 miles to the nearest audi dealer.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealerships around here suck...they barely let me test drive my civic....
nice lowboy[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
let me guess....Whats next???[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

nonbiasjeepowner is an unknown quantity at this point
GT-2 been there done that, want to do it again
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
got to test drive a 2002 porsche 911 carrera 4-S nicest car i've ever driven

not really any story to that one, it's my dad's so i can really drive it whenever i want. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: nonbiasjeepowner
GT-2 been there done that, want to do it again[hr]
I doubt they just let you drive a GT-2 just for s hits and giggles, thats a $140,000 Porsche...
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

[hr]got to test drive a 2002 porsche 911 carrera 4-S nicest car i've ever driven[hr]
[hr]not really any story to that one, it's my dad's so i can really drive it whenever i want. [hr]
must be rough.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
I think I remember you saying something like that out in Co. You and your pops do a lot of road racing.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

MikeyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: PbFoot
that woud NEVER happen here in NJ. i have never seen a dealer just let someone take the car out for a drive without a sales rep. not even to my dad!!! [hr]
Really? I was in DCH Brunswick Toyota with my sister-in-law looking at an Integra. The sales guy handed me the keys and let me and her take it for a spin ourselves. It was pretty cool.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

Bulletboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is what I got to go for a test "drive" in two weeks ago.

My father-in-law just bought it!!

(now this thing is FASSSSST!!)

Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

fatboy is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: LOWBOY
Heres the deal. I went to European Motorcarraiges here in West Des Moines with my gf yesterday. Shes looking at trading in her Toyota SUV for the BMW Z4 thats coming out soon. We went in and were helped by a couple people and they were showing us all these broshures on the Z4 and telling us how nice everyone thought they were. I for some reason was thinking they were going to be around $65,000 finding out that the 6 cylinder version was right at $40,000. She was impressed with the car and I guess were going back next week to take out one they have coming in as a demo model. Anwho, were wondering around the lot with the salesperson, and we come up to all the porsches. The first one I saw was a 911 turbo and next to it was a 911 carerra cabriolet. (red with a black top) So the salesguy asked us if we had ever driven a porsche and I told him a boxster. He excused himself and went inside for a couple minutes and came back out with the keys to the vehicle and threw them to me saying "go out and take her for a spirited test drive". I'm like allright, why not. So we got in and and took the car out. HOOOLLY SHISHKABOB, are those cars nice. Once we got out of the dealership I was taking it easy on her for a while until we got out of site and then I laid into her. We were probably doing around 105mph in a 55 zone and over 130mph on the freeway. Of course, the gf is sitting in the passenger seat grabing on the O.S. handle laughing. The clutch in those takes a little geting used to but once you have it down in a couple minutes.........................damn, those things are nice. I dont know what the performance times are or anything like that but it was nice. After we left that dealership, we rolled over to an Audi dealership and also took out a Audi TT coupe. Those cars are very easy to drive. They are really cramped from the inside, but are nice. She cant really drive a manual gearbox too well but I told her to try it out anyways. OMG, it was funny. She was launching the car at 6K and just dumping the clutch to get the thing going. On the way back to dealership, you could definetly tell the clutch or something was burning. Unfortunately, my digital camera is broken, so we got some Kodak pictures made so I'll have them in a couple days. We got some good pics of me driving the carerra and her in the TT, so I'll post them when I get them.
And heres a pic I got off of Porsche's website of the carerra we took out.
[hr]
ummmm.....just one question. How in the world did you go over 100 MPH in a car with no wheels??? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] . Well anyways... I went to the honda dealer to check out the new 7thgencivics, and the guy didnt even wanna let me drive one cuz he didnt think I was gonna buy it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] !!! I almost had to slap him silly [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG] . He was right, I didnt plan on buying it....that day that is . Freaken bastard

Old 10-24-2002
Registered!!

nonbiasjeepowner is an unknown quantity at this point
Obviously they didn't just let me test drive it, a guy I work with is an owner of a large landscaping company and he bought it. He then sold it for 20 above sticker to this older guy who didn't want to wait 9 months to get his.
Old 10-24-2002
Registered!!

[hr]ummmm.....just one question. How in the world did you go over 100 MPH in a car with no wheels??? [hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]smart@$$[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]