General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

DUDE! SWEET! DUDE! SWEET!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
DUDE! SWEET! DUDE! SWEET!

http://www.focaljet.com/

"For Phase X modifying a Focus in a "typical" way wasn't enough. You see, these guys are used to building full-blown GT and IMSA racecars. Their plan was to completely change the Focus’ dynamics while still maintaining the car’s fun-to-drive essence.

Phase X is a new company which will specialize in selling converted front engine/front wheel drive Ford Foci into mid engine/rear wheel drive track and street beasts.

You know you've dreamed about it at least once or twice before. Looking into your hatch, thinking hmmm… It’s easy to see that the Festiva Shogun was their inspiration, and with the Focus’ already great handling stock, better weight distribution and more power can only improve what is already good.

The car is currently in prototype form and still undergoing testing, but one of the biggest challenges is already out of the way—moving the stock 2.0 Zetec to the hatch (along with building their patent pending rear suspension). Also, when you look at the development of the car, you might imagine that it included a considerable amount of trial and error. Not with Phase X. They make the whole thing seem quite simple. When speaking with the PhaseX team about the prototype, most of their answers are, "Nah, that was pretty simple," or "That wasn't trouble at all.” It is pretty reassuring to know this was all easy for them.

Now, let’s talk about the objectives of this car. The first goal is to reach a 48/52 (F/R) weight distribution. Well, that’s already done. Upon moving the Zetec to the rear in its stock form and getting it running, they realized (after running it over to the scales) the car was already at its desired balance. Of course, the Focus was still pretty much in stripped form at this time. However, they are convinced balance will not be a problem.

Now that the rear engine Focus actually drives well, Phase X wants to boost the RWD power with a Supercharger tuned to 220hp at the wheels. We know many Focus owners have had problems pushing the current Supercharger unit on the market past 200 FWHP. But, with Phase X's heritage as a racecar builder, they say it should be no problem to tune the engine to achieve that output.

Once the power issue is addressed, they'll work the suspension using SVT dampers and springs along with thicker front and rear anti-roll bars. Some critics have questioned the use of the SVT suspension, claiming that it might cause problems since it’s tuned to more of a 68/32 (F/R) weight distribution. Phase X is currently taking this into account during testing.

Once these essentials are out of the way, then come the goodies. Some of the following parts are still on the drawing board (some are on the prototype), but Phase X's plan is to build every car custom to the owner’s specs.

For instance, stopping power will come from 13" front brakes (4 pot calipers) with 11” rotors stopping the rear. The current prototype is using SVT Focus brakes in the front and rear. In addition, helping to control the power will be 17"x 7.5" wheels and tires along with a Torsen LSD. For street and track safety, the car will be equipped with a custom fabricated roll cage designed by Phase X. This feature will be powder coated to match the exterior of the car. Finally, air will be transported to the engine using a large roof scoop running all the way to the rear hatch area.

So far, Focaljet has had exclusive access to this prototype car that is undercover because of its multiple pending patents. It was originally scheduled to be a three to four month project. They now expect the first full car to be ready within the next month or so. That first car will be their main test mule, where different configurations will be tested towards a final production car.

Focaljet staff has already gotten a ride in the stripped down prototype car with the only modification being the stock Zetec going to the rear. Even so, there is no mistake that it’s already a completely different ride. Drop the clutch from 4K RPMs, and there's no wheel hop or useless front wheel spin. The car squats, lays down some rubber, and gets moving a lot quicker than a front wheel drive ZX3. Another surprising effect of moving the engine to the rear is the added turn in sensitivity; Phase X is currently evaluating if they need to modify this result.

We will have a full report in a few weeks once they have a full tester car ready. Focaljet awaits a first drive. For now, though, this teaser video will have to suffice.

Old 10-10-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
maybe someone can do that for the civic.
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

MoHaWk2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
All I have to say is wow!!
Old 10-10-2002
7thgen guh chee

JohnnyLee is an unknown quantity at this point
That is cool even though it is a Ford Focus.
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
duuuude.... thats sweeeet man
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
What seperates the driver/passenger from the engine right behind them? Air?
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

Cozmo is an unknown quantity at this point
its still a focus. but i guess i'll give them some props for effort
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
[hr]Originally posted by: Phillippe01
What seperates the driver/passenger from the engine right behind them? Air?[hr]
looks like about 4 feet.
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

I may not be an all knowing god like person when it comes to cars, but isn't 4 feet of air not the best thing to seperate you and your engine....
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

no, definatly not. for that to be legal in any way thy must build a firewall inbetween. keep in mind however, so far this is a one off project, which isnt even done yet.
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

Bet its a great car for cold winters though! [/end lame joke]
Old 10-10-2002
Registered!!

StraightEdgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
did anyone see on speedvision...the CRX with an NSX motor in the rear...much like that focus? that thing must fly
Old 10-10-2002

liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
i still want to drop a lamborghini v-12 into the back of my civic. that will roast anybody.
Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

TYPE7RS is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
I still prefer the small block V8 rear drive focus conversion better [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-16-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
It does work... it is in production for someone else...
The Clio Renaultsport V6....

Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

Ducatti is an unknown quantity at this point
So how much $$ for the finished product?
Old 10-16-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: Cozmo
its still a focus. but i guess i'll give them some props for effort[hr]
couldnt say it any better
Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point