General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Paint the whole car or just the kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01CivicPLanet is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint the whole car or just the kit?

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] for a body kit to match my factory color do i really have to paint the whole car? my friend told me that is why my car color of the kit is off so bad, because i just paint the kit. anyone out their with a kit do you guy panit the kit or whole car and how much would it cost?
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

sovereign82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you have your kit painted and then put on the car? Or was your car there and it got painted at the same time. When I bring mine next week to have it done, they are blending my Kit onto the original paintjob as well. It shouldn't be anything noticeable if you got it done by a professional.

Matt
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

Numinous001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like they got cheap and didn't use the right paint. To paint your whole car would cost like 4 grand if you wanted it to look as good as it does from the factory. It's not like our cars are that old anyways so your OEM paint job shouldn't be faded or anything like that either.
-Numinous
Old 08-24-2002
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
i would paint the whole car...an original color of course. you dont have to though.
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

philliesblunt420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any decent body shop should be able to match your car's paint perfect
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
no body shop can match the paint perfect, Honda even cant. look at your car, the bumper is darker than the sheet metal portion of the car. plastics absorb more of the pigment then the metal, so you can never get a perfect match
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
get the paint number off your car and have them match it, they can get that paint.
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
when i got my bumper replaced they told me that its hard to match silver cause on the civics it has 17 different shades...i was like [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] i guess.... it looks good but like grenloch said my bumper is darker
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
youll have to pay quite a bit for a good paint job but itll match and itll look good w/o having to repaint the whole thing
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
depends on how faded your paint is. do you park outside? does it rain or snow a lot where you alr? how old is your car? do you use a car cover, and how often do you wash/wax? if the paint is faded, even if you get the exact paint from Honda, itll still look off. If its not faded too mucb or at all, just painting the kit with OEM Honda paint matched to your car, you should be okay.

BTW body kits are ghey.
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

philliesblunt420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you guys went to the wrong bodyshop, I had my front bumper and front 2 fenders replaced and repainted IN SSM and it's a perfect match. If any body shop told me "its hard to match silver" [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG] I would get the fvck outta there and never go back. Any good bodyman would know there are ways to match new paint to old paint even if your paint is faded. Did you guys take your cars to Maaco or something[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-24-2002
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
im just bustin ur ***** for you. my bodyshop got my new bumper paint matched pretty well, but if your right up on top of it, sure you can see a differnce. there is no way that anyone can get it exactly like the OEM paint job. too many variables
Old 08-25-2002
Registered!!

01CivicPLanet is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: philliesblunt420

Sounds like you guys went to the wrong bodyshop, I had my front bumper and front 2 fenders replaced and repainted IN SSM and it's a perfect match. If any body shop told me "its hard to match silver" [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG] I would get the fvck outta there and never go back. Any good bodyman would know there are ways to match new paint to old paint even if your paint is faded. Did you guys take your cars to Maaco or something[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
Yea. I took it to Maaco, that the place i got my kit paint, and look at what it comes out to be. That is the second time they repaint it and they said thats the best they can match it.
Old 08-25-2002
Registered!!

slammed2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
no, you have a factory color, its very easy to match...
you should have no problems matching it, but if ur paint is ruff shape, and looks older then the new paint then you may have abit of a problem...
its always good to paint everything and shave all your emblems
Old 08-25-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Any descent body shop can match factory paint. You got jipped. Don't aver go to maaco, they are cheap bastards[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-25-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: 01CivicPLanet
[hr]Originally posted by: philliesblunt420

Sounds like you guys went to the wrong bodyshop, I had my front bumper and front 2 fenders replaced and repainted IN SSM and it's a perfect match. If any body shop told me "its hard to match silver" [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG] I would get the fvck outta there and never go back. Any good bodyman would know there are ways to match new paint to old paint even if your paint is faded. Did you guys take your cars to Maaco or something[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
Yea. I took it to Maaco, that the place i got my kit paint, and look at what it comes out to be. That is the second time they repaint it and they said thats the best they can match it.[hr]
Yeah ok, you took it Maaco? seriously youre gonna spend about a thousand bucks ona body kit and take it Maaco fo all places to get it painted, Take to anywhere but Maaco, they use crap paint, crap painters, and crap facilities, thats why theyre so cheap. Any body shop can match any paint so perfectly that the human eye cannot distinguish and if they said they cant then they lie and i would ask for my money back.