General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Can someone please tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Can someone please tell me...

What the deal is whith the FIRE EXTINGUISHER in the car?? HELLO? does anyone find this a little odd that this is a "mod".. are you having trouble with random flames ignighting the cabin? is the heater a little too hot? is your metal floorboard flying out from under the car and sparks from it are lighting the interior on fire? honestly..
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
I know what your saying. I dont think its a mod. THey probably just want it for looks. Dont know why.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard people have them with their nos equiped car... but usually riciers have them for looks (no nos)
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
Well, you know the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared".
Old 08-07-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
I keep mine in my trunk for when I goto car shows, but after the car show is over...I take it out and put it in my apartment. They give you points if you have the fire extinguisher and also a first aid kit. If you dont have any of the 2 they take points off.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Wanger
i heard people have them with their nos equiped car... but usually riciers have them for looks (no nos)[hr]
i heard that too, but even IF they have N20, they probably won't be able to reach for the extinguisher in time(as it'll be in some rediculous location for looks rather than functionality) and I bet most of em probably don't know how to work them IMHO, 99% of the time it's for the looks
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
We have one in our RX-7 but there is a reason for that one. Rotory engines are notorious for catching on fire. We had another one that burned up. Our also isn't on the a-pillar on the passanger side either. That never made sense to me why would you put it over there? You won't be able to reach it when you need it. In a car with nitous it would be a good idea to keep one in the car because of how combustable nitous is.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

merz is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the original start of it was in cars one ACTUALLY raced on a track. The fire extinguisher is a standard requirement along with your roll bar and helmet. On the street today it's mostly a boy racer (ricer?) wanna-be thing.

Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

mattymatt is an unknown quantity at this point
<Columbian4lyf> How much did it cost for you to mold your kit on? That looks awesome.
Old 08-07-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: civicdude
I keep mine in my trunk for when I goto car shows, but after the car show is over...I take it out and put it in my apartment. They give you points if you have the fire extinguisher and also a first aid kit. If you dont have any of the 2 they take points off.[hr]

i think they take points off if you don't have a tool kit either
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: 2cute
We have one in our RX-7 but there is a reason for that one. Rotory engines are notorious for catching on fire. We had another one that burned up. Our also isn't on the a-pillar on the passanger side either. That never made sense to me why would you put it over there? You won't be able to reach it when you need it. In a car with nitous it would be a good idea to keep one in the car because of how combustable nitous is.[hr]
Since when are wankels notorious for catching fire? I owned my '88 Rexy for 3 years and belonged to a rotary club and to rx7club.com forum. I never heard of ANY rotary catch fire. Not one! However, VWs are notorious for catching fire. I've known 7 cars, 3 GTIs, 2 Cabrios, 1 Jetta and 1 Passat that have caught fire. It's their wireing harness in the engine bay or something.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Like I said we had an 84 that caught on fire. I have seen many rotorys catch on fire. The first gen had fuel problems which allowed for them to catch on fire more so than any other rotory engine.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
i keep mine in my trunk. not just for my car but if i need it for someone else's. its right inside the wheel well, next to my jumper cables
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

civic510 is an unknown quantity at this point
We have one in our RX-7 but there is a reason for that one. Rotory engines are notorious for catching on fire. We had another one that burned up. Our also isn't on the a-pillar on the passanger side either. That never made sense to me why would you put it over there? You won't be able to reach it when you need it. In a car with nitous it would be a good idea to keep one in the car because of how combustable nitous is.[hr]
Nitrous is not combustible.
Old 08-07-2002
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Its a copy off of European sports cars. In Europe its required by law (or at least it was when we lived there) to have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit secured in your car. So when everybody started copying the Euro cars, the fire extinguishers came along too.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i am sorry but that lil ole fire extingusher is not gonna put out an engine fire lol. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Kapriccio is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't have a fire extinguisher yet; however, I will have to get one cuz it's required by law in El Salvador, as well as the reflective triangle. I personaly don't think it's cool, but who knows if it actually might be usefull someday, so I'm gonna have to carry it in my trunk.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

nrrhgreg is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: civic510
Nitrous is not combustible.[hr]
Please tell me you're not serious. If nitrous isn't combustable, then why do people shoot it into their engine where it EXPLODES?
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
i think it looks funny but if it keeps you safe....
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

civic510 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: nrrhgreg
[hr]Originally posted by: civic510
Nitrous is not combustible.[hr]
Please tell me you're not serious. If nitrous isn't combustable, then why do people shoot it into their engine where it EXPLODES?[hr]
Nitrous oxide itself is NOT combustible. Nitrous oxide only enhances combustion of other substances like the air we breathe. Read this.
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

Neonmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone ever consider that an A pillar mounted extinguisher would make a nice projectile in the event of an accident?
Old 08-07-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
In some European countries it's mandated. Fires happen, so having a fire extinguisher is a good thing. When I run more than 3-4psi of boost I will probably have one handy. Who knows what weird interactions I there could be with aftermarket stuff? Especially custom stuff. You can't predict everything. On a stock civic it's pretty much pointless though.
Old 08-08-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Nitrous oxide itself is NOT combustible. Nitrous oxide only enhances combustion of other substances like the air we breathe. Read this. [hr]
[hr]PREVENTION NO open flames, NO sparks, and NO smoking. [hr]
Ok that is from your link. What do you think the car does when you put nitrous into it? Hhhhmmm.... no sparks huh? Do the spark plugs and coil packs not create a spark? hhmm.... no open flames well as far as I know that would be what the combustion in the engine is. hhhmmm... not flamable? well I guess you are right. There is no way for the engine to ignite the gas. My bad.