General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Straight Pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bo0sT is an unknown quantity at this point
Straight Pipe...

Right now i have the HP Racing 4-1 header with the high flow cat. I like the gains i have with this, the cat itself doesn't LOOK like it's restricting any air (from what i saw before i installed it).. but my question is... would taking this off and just putting a straight piece of pipe in there increase performance? I'm not worried about emissions or any of that crap..
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
the more air you can move out of your engine the better, you will increase HP, but with a relatively small engine like the 1.7L you will probobly miss the torque you will loose..........there is a formula for what piping will give you the best over-all performance results depending on engine size, iam sure that someone has it on this site.......i think you will find that you will want to keep a certain amount of backpressure......
Old 07-26-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
a straight pipe will sound like [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]
but since its straight ull get more performance. less back pressure.
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, straight pipe will increase HP, but it's really really loud...SaiyanMatador has just add a straight pipe to his car (i think it was him) [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-26-2002
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
my buddy did it a while ago on a 96 civic and it was worse than a rice sound it was a whole rice bowl
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
this is my opinion from trial and error. get a keep ur header and high flow cat, keep the stock mid piping, cut the resonator and put a pipe there, then get an N1 style muffler. runs pretty good and responsive. still torquey on low end. just make sure u either have the stock air box or a CAI b/c SRI gives less satisfying results.
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

LOWBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
1973: Im sorry but that is not correct. The more air you expel from your engine does not give more hp. More air you get into the engine obviously does.
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: alex1
this is my opinion from trial and error. get a keep ur header and high flow cat, keep the stock mid piping, cut the resonator and put a pipe there, then get an N1 style muffler. runs pretty good and responsive. still torquey on low end. just make sure u either have the stock air box or a CAI b/c SRI gives less satisfying results.[hr]
I have magnaflow 2 1/4" piping, i already removed the resonator, and i have the Apex'i n1 muffler.. it's already pretty loud. I'm getting all of my head work done locally within the next couple of months.. I'll be going through crower to get a custom cam made, once i have that done, would i benefit more from the straight pipe?

Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

I heard the SRI would suit me better since i have the hp "chrome" header, the heat coming off of it would cause me to lose hp. The controversy over stock airbox vs. cai vs. sri drives me crazy.. I'd love to just see true dyno results with all three from someone with my setup.
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: 02CelicaGT-S
1973: Im sorry but that is not correct. The more air you expel from your engine does not give more hp. More air you get into the engine obviously does.[hr]

but let as not forget that with more air in the engine comes the necessity to add fuel to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio. otherwise...lean...melt...boom.