General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Newer Hondas Civics more reliable? Better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torontopaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Newer Hondas Civics more reliable? Better?

Weird question:

1. First I have the common belief that newer cars tend to be less reliable, less quality, less durability and just poorly made as they try to make cars cheaper with inexpensive parts. Older cars tend to be more reliable and easy to work on.
For example, a 1970 muscle car has very little to fix and maintain. They can run forever with a few tweaks and parts with TLC.

I also believe that cars should run forever with proper care. Other people seem to think after 6 years or 100k miles the car is garbage.

Buying a new car for 30k-50k that will either stop running or need major repairs before its even paid off. Hence, why I believe buying a used car cheaper and using the saved money for repairs makes more sense.

I have read online and heard some people say that new cars today are designed and made more superior to cars in 90s and early 2000s. Because of advancememts in technology and moores law companies are able to make better, durable, reliable cars today.

I have been trying avoid the idea of buying a newer car because all the electrical and also civics after 2006-2018 are all timing chains and interference engines. Chains are not only harder, exoensive replace but when chains break or wear they can mess up the engine and valves.

I have been looming for belts only to avoid issues with chains. Belts wont cause so much damage and are easy to change, easy for amateurs. Unlike timing chains that require taking apart the engine etc..

I remember a comment on here about chains being better quality now than before?

I want to get a car that I can fix myself or very cheap by mechanic. I also want a car I can drive forever.
Old 03-31-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Newer Hondas Civics more reliable? Better?

Did you not ask this before?

Anyways, you have been asking for too long, my bet is you will not buy one.
Old 03-31-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newer Hondas Civics more reliable? Better?

Yeah, you asked this before and addressed all your issues.

Older civics are easier to work on, more parts available, but Honda OEM parts may be more difficult to come by (would have to resort to third party.

When I popped the hood of my 2018, it just looked a lot harder to work on from a driveway mechanic's POV. That, and there are less aftermarket support, but Honda OEM will be easier to come by.

Timing belts require regular change intervals. Chains do not. If a timing belt breaks, you're ripping apart the engine or paying upwards of $1500 to fix.