General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Increase mpg fuel efficiency, tricks or mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torontopaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Increase mpg fuel efficiency, tricks or mods?

Hi.

I was wondering if there are some tricks, products, parts or mods that can be done to improve fuel efficiency? (Automatic-non-hybrid)

(How Do I check mpg on civic)

I WANT TO MOD A CIVIC TO GET 45! MPG!
Or at least the most I can.

There must be lots of ways to improve fuel efficiency on any car including Honda Civic.

I know part of fuel effiency has to do with the fuel mix ratios. Clean air, amount of fuel, clean fuel, higher octane fuel like premium 94 or Shells Vpower premium and fuel treatments and fuel injector cleaner. I also remember seafoam engine treatment, might help. Also proper maintenance of course. I know some people use tbe ram air filter systems or some mod.

Afriend told me the ethanol in the gasoline makes the gas mileage lower and to use only 94 octane premium fuel.

But is there a way to modify or custom alterations to go beyond the normal mpg limit from the brand?

Most civics, according to internet are about 25 to 30mpg city but a few from 2001-2004 says 35 mpg city and only 27mpg on the newest civics. Except the hybrids or manual cars.

Fuel efficiency is very hard to control here in Toronto with all the lights, traffic, etc.

Before i moved to Toronto, my intrepid was getting 35 city and 45 hwy mpg, way more than the vehicle should which was great. But when I moved to Toronto, it went from 35 city mpg to 11mpg max. It was a nightmare! I had to spend alot to refill twice a week with very little driving, just local. Plus gas here is over $5 gallon.

How do I check mpg on Civic?
Im in canada so the cars are in liters/ per 100km
Idk how switch it to MPG.
Old 03-31-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Increase mpg fuel efficiency, tricks or mods?

No way in hell you're going to get 45mpg driving in Toronto. Just stick with using regular gas, go join a hypermiler forum if you're serious about getting the best mileage
Old 03-31-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

-tires up to 40psi (dry conditions only, no fast driving or driving in wet conditions)

-don't run winter tires

-if you have vtec keep the rpm bellow 3400rpm. (but also keep the rpm down anyway)

-coast with your foot off the brake but car in drive as much as possible when coming to a stop or down hill.

-remove as much weight from the car as possible. Run small alloy rims instead of steel rims).

Get a way to measure fuel efficient so you can keep track and have fun hunting records.
Old 04-01-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Putting premium in a car designed for regular gas will actually drop your fuel economy. There are exceptions to the rule (e.g. L15B7), but the D17 is not among those exceptions.

edit
Idk how switch it to MPG.
KM/L * 2.35 = MPG
conversely,
MPG / 2.35 = KM/L
or
MPG * 0.425 = KM/L

I did fancy maths to figure that one out.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 04-01-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Have the feeling I have seen similar thread from you..

Did you not tell us you were still without a civic a couple days ago? If yes, moot point.
Old 04-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Have the feeling I have seen similar thread from you..

Did you not tell us you were still without a civic a couple days ago? If yes, moot point.
You can't have fuel economy issues of any sort if you don't have a car

miles walked divided by the number of cheeseburgers it took to get that far,

and don't forget to factor in the cost of the Nikes that took you there LOL
Old 04-01-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

torontopaul stop"n go driving hurts fuel econo especially in T.O. Not much You
Can do except making sure its at "Optimal tune." by that i mean making sure items like following are in good working order things like:

-Air Filter
-spark lugs recommend oem kind
-tires you could safely raise the psi in them by 4 psi than whats posted on the door
-using a High Quality Synthetic Oil
-Keep the windows rolled up {Only applies if Your A/C is Working}
-higher octane fuel (if Yours runs on 87 some techs i no will recommend the higher octane in
higher mileage vehicles You have to try it i guess to find out)
-Lastly drive normally no sudden taps on the accelerater
Old 11-19-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JJOAME001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Underbody tray to reduce drag under the car. Make a block off plate or rubber strip to deflect air away from the windshield wipers.
More aerodynamic mirriors.
Smaller wheels and economy tires.
I don't know how heavy your hood is but a carbon fibre hood might reduce some weight and strip out some interior to reduce weight and remove spare tire.
And if you're crazy enough put a plate to block off the wind on your rear tires, plexiglass rear windows, carbon fibre trunk.
Don't use A/C
Check online on your specific engine if there's someone who was successful with a lean burn tune.

Basically less weight and make your car more aerodynamic. And most importantly is how you drive.