General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Flat RATE or RAPE? for all the techs

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about
Flat RATE or RAPE? for all the techs

I use to be a tech before i became educated. )..

I have a hard time understanding why people or techs accept this practice.
In Europe its treated as any other industry.. you work 40, you get paid overtime, you dont buy tools for work they are provided and you get 4 weeks vacation..

I have a hard time understanding and please spare me how much you make on flat rate more, i been there i done it..
eventually with cost of tools and stress to bring cash home earn paycheck, squality of work suffers etc..
I am glad i got out, i became more of engineer and got in engineerin technician jobs are even better..
I always wanted to do any job to perfection like its my car, and flat rate system kills that.

then people cry why we dont have quality techs. look at all the knowledge you need, then u need to buy tools, then look at the pay structure.. ..

I been watching some videos about it, and most people are clueless about how bad it is, and wonder how much it costs for their repairs, and lack of quality of work.

**** the stories i got, i dont let anyone touch my family cars, and when they are under warranty i double check everything to make sure i got all the bolts and nuts and job is done righ..

there is got to be a better way
Old 02-27-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flat RATE or RAPE? for all the techs

Your employer sucked donkey *****
Old 02-27-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Your employer sucked donkey *****
Old 02-27-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

so you telling me you dont cut corners to make time on flat rate.?
cough cough bs..
you put all bolts and it looks factory all clips like no one ever touched it?
let me guess you make a killing?
i use to work at two dealerships, honda even went to honda school.. then i went to mazda porsche audi one.. same **** show..

gimme a break.. unless you own your own business, the rest stealerships are bs.

Why is there a lack of qualified techs? they are always hiring? why?
Old 02-27-2018

so you telling me you dont cut corners to make time on flat rate.?
Nope.
Not every job is a winner, either.

My "finished products" are correct. My personal return rate is the lowest in our dealership(s).
cough cough bs..
You cut corners? You're part of the problem.

you put all bolts and it looks factory all clips like no one ever touched it?
Yes I strive for exactly this, and it's not difficult. It's called pride in workmanship, son.
(some might argue it's OCD)

let me guess you make a killing?
I make more than many suits who try to look down upon me LOL

It's an honest living for me, full of a variety of challenges and rewards.

I don't have to lie cheat and steal for my money.....In fact, that would have the exact opposite effect (long term) because that destroys my customers' trust.
My career relies heavily on repeat business, many customers ask for me by name. I've got loyal customers who have followed me around for almost 30 years.

I'm known to leave my business card in cars I work on.
Would YOU want to do that if you hacked a car up in any way?

honda even went to honda school.. then i went to mazda porsche audi
That's funny. I made good money with all these brands.

Side note: I now have distaste for most examples of German engineering.
Old 02-27-2018
Registered!!

Good money , i made ok as a tech.... I make more now and work less, and am not killed from work..
I dont have to invest in tools, though i have everything including compressor welders, , you name it.. since i work on my own and family cars..
I was a tech in Germany too, so i liked their system better , it was treated as a regular job, so the end quality of work was better..
flat rate in my opinion is BS... destroys quality.. explain why i have to return every warranty on my cars to get it redone.. because half the bolts are missing or clips..

I am glad you are perfectionist and take pride in ur work.. i mean it shows .. I am the same way, ..

I use to do side work for money, because i had people follow me and asking me to work on their cars.. but i make more money know that i will ever do as a tech in dealership. and i value my time.. plus my own cars, I have reduced it a lot, and only try to helps some good friends and certain people .. I value my time more know. spend with the family..

i am glad you take pride in ur work.. and your happy..
German cars are like Germans ) they like to over engineer everything and vw has got the worst reliability lately even in Europe..
Old 02-27-2018

Originally Posted by ezone
Nope.
But am I Perfect? F@#$ no I'm not.

"The Master has already made more mistakes than the beginner has even tried."

I still make mistakes on occasion....and my mistakes these days can be pretty spectacular.
Go big, or go home!
(I've already learned plenty from all the little mistakes, had to progress to bigger and better!)

I was fortunate in my early years to be employed in a dealership that believed in quality over quantity, and reputation is of utmost importance. I was nurtured and taught by some (what I considered to be) old school masters. I was held to an extremely high standard.

Speed comes with time and experience......I was paid hourly wages for sufficient time to become assuredly proficient, the manager and myself were both fully confident I could turn the hours necessary to be successful before switching to flat rate.

Pretty much every job I've had since then has been a disappointment by comparison....but I still hold myself to those same high standards today.