General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Bodykit or way to make Civic look like the new 16-18 Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torontopaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Bodykit or way to make Civic look like the new 16-18 Sport?

My question: Is there some way to make an older Honda Civic 98-2010, look like the new 10th generation sport with the lights, body and trim?

I am on a journey to buying a used Civic for cheap and fix up. Small budget. Still trying to figure out exactly which to buy since my budget is under $1500 to buy the car before fixing it up, which will be a different budget.

Today, I saw 10th generation 2016-2018 civic hatchback sport. I really like the way it looks, especially the rear end. I like the sharp pointy lights and bodystyle.

I am assuming obviously you cant just buy headlights/taillights of a 2017 and just put them on an older generation. If you could that would be great. I dont understand why companies do not try to make parts more universal across generations but I guess thats how they make money.

Are there any kits you can buy? Or certain years / generations that are compatiable with newer looking models?

Originally, I was going to get a 2000-2004 because of price but now I am not sure if I need to get something newer like 2006-2012, god willing I find one in my price range.

I also looked at the difference between base, Si, Type R. I see that they are built with better quality parts for performance, which I am guessing will also be more durable last longer?

So regardless of year, should I get the Si or type R??
For the durability?

Reason why I am looking to buy a honda civic is because I am looking for a reliable cheap car with great gas mileage, and last long mileage.
Because in Canada, most used cars have very high miles on them because most people buy new and trade in all the time because of rust issues.

I am also debating between hatchback or sedan, I want 4 doors if I can but I like the hatch look because looks closer to classic muscle, but the hatchback doesnt have a private secure hidden trunk like a sedan. Anybody can see inside. But I will be tinting windows dark, I hate the sun!

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 02-14-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Bodykit or way to make Civic look like the new 16-18 Sport?

If you are good at fiberglass work then have at it and make it look how you want.

Parts are interchangeable to an extent but body styles change with each new generation to match trends and changing times. Cars would be boring if they all looked the same from gen to gen.
Old 02-14-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Probably no kits out there. Highly likely there are no kits out there, either. It'd take a lot of custom fab work (lots of bondo) to make it look seamless. I mean, people have done crazy things like put Lexus is250 tails on 7thgen. Youre likely to spend 1/2 to 3/4 your $1500 budget fitting 10th gen lights to an older model.

And really, there are some parts that span various generations. For instance, the same clutch works on (if I remember correctly) all d-series mated transmissions, which encompasses all 92-05 SOHC (5th-7thgen) civics. Hell, I installed head studs on my 2002 that were made for a 98 civic. There's a generation gap right there.

Its not just to make money, why body parts of all things don't span generations. Its because of design differences. There is a drastic difference in size and design if you compare a 1996 civic to a 2017 civic. Time goes on, stylistic designs change. That's really what happens.

As far as your bit about "better performance = better quality parts," that's not entirely true. 99-00 base civic has a d16 engine: 1.6L SOHC (some vtec, some not). 99-00 Si rocks the b16 engine: 1.6L DOHC VTEC. Different engineering in the engine makes it more powerful.

10th gen base model: L15B7 1.5L turbo at 174/180 hp
10th gen Si: L15B7 1.5L turbo at 205 hp. Difference between that and the base model is tuning (3.8psi difference in boost pressure), turbo exhaust wheel, and MAF sensor. That's really it. Otherwise same exact engine.
10th gen CTR: 2.0L turbo making 305. Not necessarily better parts, just different engineering in the engine and how it performs.
If you want reliability and great fuel economy, get a lower trim model and maintain the crap out of it.

Whats going to affect reliability is how you treat and maintain the engine/car. Take 2 civics, same year, engine trim level, etc. On one civic, drive it normally and maintain the crap out of it. On the other, drive it like you're Speed Racer and do enough maintenance to keep it running. The firsr car is highly likely to last longer.

One last note. My '18 hatch has removable privacy thingies to cover the entire cargo area. One is attached to the liftgate, one is a retractable one that is in the actual cargo area. With the retractable one pulled over and the one in the liftgate installed, you can't see a damn thing I'm storing in my cargo area
Old 02-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Torontopaul

My question: Is there some way to make an older Honda Civic 98-2010, look like the new 10th generation sport with the lights, body and trim?
Get stoned AF and squint at it?

Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

My total budget isnt 1500.

Thats just budget to get the car and make sure its in good running condition. Then after that I will figure it out.

Maybe should look at some members rides to get better idea. Its just annoying now that all civics 2006+ has timing chain instead of belt.

just hoping i find something someone already did some custom aftermarket mods for sale
Old 02-16-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Its just annoying now that all civics 2006+ has timing chain instead of belt.
Maintenance cost went down, reliability went up.

Most people think of this as a win.
Old 03-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Maintenance cost went down, reliability went up.

Most people think of this as a win.
timing chains harder to replace, cost more by mechanic.

timing chains can destroy engine if they break
Old 03-12-2018

Originally Posted by Torontopaul
timing chains harder to replace, cost more by mechanic.

timing chains can destroy engine if they break
Timing belt failures do the same amount of damage...and for anyone who can do math it may total the entire car. Price to repair bent valves is more than the car is worth.

Timing belts (and related parts) have more problems and cost more to maintain.

Chain in the R18 has zero maintenance costs....and they don't have problems.