General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

List of Repairs Since Honda Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
List of Repairs Since Honda Ownership

I purchased my first Civic five years ago and now on my third. My mom has an '04 Civic VP which I work on too when needed. I would not have attempted many of the following DIY testing, repairs, and maintenance without the help of this, (to a lesser extent) other Honda forums, youtube vids, and the service manual. Thanks mostly to the good people here I've developed a confidence that I can try just about any testing, repair/maintenance first before envoking a professional mechanic. Also, from what I've learned I've been able to help friends and family out with their vehicles (mostly non-Honda).

Civics owned in order:
1998 EX coupe, manual transmission, completely stock, 125k miles at purchase. Owned for two years and was a very reliable car.

Repairs or Maintenance:
Valves adjustment
Exhaust manifold replacement
o2 sensor
Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor
Engine oil change, manual gear oil change
A/C pulley and belt
PCV valve
Valve cover gasket. Helicoil two valve cover bolt holes
Vtec and distributor o-ring gasket
Coolant system drain+fill+bleed.
Window regulator
TB and IACV removal and cleaning

1997 EX coupe, automatic transmission, stock, 145k miles at purchase. Purchased three years ago. Gave car to my son in February this year and it's still running well. Currently has 190k miles.

Repairs or Maintenance:
Head gasket, helicoil head bolt, intake manifold gasket (30k miles ago)
Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, accessory belts, crank seal
All motor and torque mounts
Front disk brake rotors, calipers, pads
Vtec, oil pan, valve cover, distributor o-ring gaskets
Thermostat. All radiator and bypass hoses. Coolant d+f+b
Both CV axles
3x3 ATF drain and fill
Left front hub assembly (used)
Right rear hub
Compressor clutch coil and bearing
Right and left window regulators
Valves adjustment, PCV valve, oil change
Both sides inner/outer tie rods + boots
Aftermarket stereo and speakers
Knock sensor
Brakes bleeding/fluid replacement
Some interior parts

Present daily driver is a 1995 EX coupe with B20/LS swap..prior owner did swap. JDM non-Vtec engine with approximately (supposedly) 75-80k miles at purchase. LS manual transmission. Currently 85k miles. Purchased in February this year and so far my favorite car I've ever owned...close second is a 1985 BWM 325e and a 1991 Nissan Maxima GXE.

Repairs or Maintenance:
Fuel filler neck
Both rear hub assemblies
ECU replacement
Clutch slave cylinder replacement
Brakes bleeding/fluid replacement
Brake proportioning valve seals
Valves adjustment inspection
Oil change, spark plugs inspection
Vacuum leak detection (built homemade smoker)
Exhaust donut gasket
Climate control removal, solder and replace
Coolant system d+f+b
o2 sensor

Mom's car: '04 Value Package sedan, automatic, stock. Purchased six years ago with 50k original miles and currently has 80k miles. Been a great car so far.

Repairs or Maintenance:
Timing belt, waterpump, accessory belts, valves adjustment,
coolant d+f+b a month ago
Valve cover gasket and cam end cap
3x3 ATF drain and fill
Brakes bleed/fluid replacment
Oil changes

There may be repairs/maintenance that I've forgotten about and didn't list.
I've learned from my experience here (Civic Forum) to test first before replacing parts, use OEM parts as much as possible, and I still have a lot more to learn.
Old 11-21-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: List of Repairs Since Honda Ownership

Dude,

you have a special hand on finding and getting cars with issues, for sure
Old 11-21-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: List of Repairs Since Honda Ownership

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Dude, you have a special hand on finding and getting cars with issues, for sure
Yes, it's quite the talent..uh, sucky talent that is

It seems like within the first 6 months to a year is when most repairs are needed and then it gets to a point where it becomes very manageable/less repairs. Good thing Ezone doesn't charge a consultation fee..

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-21-2017 at 06:37 PM.